Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #46
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
You'll buy it. We know all about your self control.
Besides, how else will you read in the bath?
Actually now you mention it I've just resurrected an very old iPod touch 3rd Gen that I forgot I had (bought back in 2010). I've striped it back to factory settings, added some music and the kindle app, added a silicone cover and a stylus and I've used that for the last two nights. Yes it's tiny, only a 4 inch screen but it's small enough not to be a worry in the bath and if I drop it it's not really a problem. as I'd given it up as the battery wasn't lasting.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #47
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... Amazon.co.uk is offering the Kindle Voyage, Amazon.ca is not at this time and Amazon.com will not ship a Kindle Voyage to Canada.

Perhaps this might make those Americans who complain about Kobo and sales in the U.S.A. feel a bit less victims of countryism.

But sheeshh... 169 pounds for the Kindle Voyage? $302Cdn or $277US... Out of curiosiity, does that price includes VAT?

Yes it does, all. 20% of it
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The on-board storage is expandable to 36GB (4GB internal and 32GB external).
Has anyone tried a 64GB microSD card in a Kobo Aura HD?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #49
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do we have to have the page numbers in the right margin? If we don, that's a deal breaker for me. I was planning on ordering a Kobo Aura H2O Monday or Tuesday, but if the page numbers are there, forget it.

On my Kobo Aura HD (NOT the one you're asking about), the page numbers are on the bottom middle of the screen. Did you, perhaps, mean the bottom middle?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
On my Kobo Aura HD (NOT the one you're asking about), the page numbers are on the bottom middle of the screen. Did you, perhaps, mean the bottom middle?
The answer is that the side margin page numbers are an option that can be turned off. I except the bottom page number footer to be there.
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #51
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The answer is that the side margin page numbers are an option that can be turned off. I except the bottom page number footer to be there.

I see: You're talking about the adobe page numbers that are lighter in text and that do intrude, sometimes, inside the margins of the text. As you note, yes, one can easily turn them off.

The other page numbers, as part of Kobo's firmware, do not intrude in the text. Those are the ones at the bottom middle of the screen and outside the margins of the text.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:36 AM   #52
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Has anyone tried a 64GB microSD card in a Kobo Aura HD?
I've seen a couple of posts from people stating they have used a 64GB uSD card in a Kobo ereader. No exFAT support so you would need to use a 3rd party utility to reformat the card before trying to use it. What I suspect is happening is that people are inserting a 64GB card but a maximum of 32GB would be usable -- much like those counterfeit cards that look good until you fill their real capacity and start enjoying file corruption.

Sadly my camera takes full size SD cards so I can't try one of them in my Aura HD.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I see: You're talking about the adobe page numbers that are lighter in text and that do intrude, sometimes, inside the margins of the text. As you note, yes, one can easily turn them off.

The other page numbers, as part of Kobo's firmware, do not intrude in the text. Those are the ones at the bottom middle of the screen and outside the margins of the text.
Now that I have the money saved to pull the plug, I'm going to order the H2O. I just might have to have it sent to my parents place as I'll be on a 2 week vacation at the end of October and I would not want it coming and nobody here to get it and have it sent back.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #54
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Now that I have the money saved to pull the plug, I'm going to order the H2O. I just might have to have it sent to my parents place as I'll be on a 2 week vacation at the end of October and I would not want it coming and nobody here to get it and have it sent back.

I'll more than likely end up buying that one, too.

I really like my Kobo Aura HD, but going to a carta screen looks very attractive to me. (Unfortunately, that won't be until around Christmas.)

Let us all know how you enjoy it when you get it.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #55
Techno
Enthusiast
Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PC/Tablet
Most people should go with Amazon for their ecosystem. I was leaning toward the H2O because I only sideload books. But now I'm leaning back toward Amazon's release. I only care a little about SD card support and waterproofing.

So many people are posting they prefer the larger screen. Amazon must have realized many don't want a larger screen. The larger screen would be very convenient sometimes, but I don't know if it's worth having a less-portable ereader, personally. I think I would prefer the smaller screen and lighter weight (and thinner profile), but it's hard to say without test driving the larger device in different locations.

One thing that matters to me is screen durability. Voyage has a glass screen unlike any other ereader. Sounds good to me in terms of durability, but I am worried it would interfere with reading. Again, I'd have to test drive it in different environments. Amazon claims it's micro etched glass so that it's evenly lit and doesn't interfere with reading. They are promoting it as having texture like a high quality paper would. I'm sure Amazon's test users didn't complain about it, but I have some visual sensitivities, so I wonder about this.

The main negative I see for the Kobo is slight delays or hiccups. Which, once again, I'd have to experience to see how bad they are, or I may be able to find video to give me an idea. I have only read about this so far. This alone might make me go with the Voyage, especially if Kobo takes a while to connect through USB, as I read.

I have the PW2 and I feel like the lighting isn't adjustable enough. I haven't tried a Kobo before, but from reading, I get the impression that its lighting would suit me better. The Voyage supposedly has better lighting, but I don't know if it fits my particular wants. I doubt any other ereader is perfect in this respect for me, but this is one factor which makes me interested in trying a Kobo.

I like the concept of touching the bezel to advance. I think I'd like that feature.

I think I'd like Kobo's library and customizable interface more based on reviews I've read, but this is minor.

The flush (not recessed) screen on the Voyage is a small plus.

The H2O lower resolution could be noticeable because of its larger screen size. I would have to compare the two with my own eyes. This is only a small plus for the Voyage for me.

So I would like to wait until I get more answers, but if there's a good sale I might snag one, as long as returns are easy.
Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno View Post
One thing that matters to me is screen durability. Voyage has a glass screen unlike any other ereader. Sounds good to me in terms of durability, but I am worried it would interfere with reading. Again, I'd have to test drive it in different environments. Amazon claims it's micro etched glass so that it's evenly lit and doesn't interfere with reading. They are promoting it as having texture like a high quality paper would. I'm sure Amazon's test users didn't complain about it, but I have some visual sensitivities, so I wonder about this.
For me, the glass screen is a negative. Glass strikes me as being more likely to break. Micro-etched sounds like adding a layer over the screen that is designed to scatter light which is not likely to do much for contrast and sharpness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno View Post
The H2O lower resolution could be noticeable because of its larger screen size. I would have to compare the two with my own eyes. This is only a small plus for the Voyage for me.
Minor nit: the Voyage and the H2O have identical resolutions at 1080x1430. The PPIs are different as the Voyage needs a higher PPI to fit the same number of pixels into a smaller screen. You might want to compare this to watching 1920x1080 HD video on a 40" or a 50" screen -- same resolution, different screen size.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Minor nit: the Voyage and the H2O have identical resolutions at 1080x1430. The PPIs are different as the Voyage needs a higher PPI to fit the same number of pixels into a smaller screen. You might want to compare this to watching 1920x1080 HD video on a 40" or a 50" screen -- same resolution, different screen size.
The advantage the H2O has is that if you prefer your text at a larger size, you get more text on screen then you do with the smaller screen of the Voyage. The H2O has more text sizes, better margin control, more font control, line height support...basically, more customization options. You get even more customization options in the CSS then you do on a Kindle because of the fixed nature of some settings on the Kindle.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #58
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
The H2O has more text sizes, better margin control, more font control, line height support...basically, more customization options. You get even more customization options in the CSS then you do on a Kindle because of the fixed nature of some settings on the Kindle.
To me, this is the greatest advantage of the Kobo. Not just the H2O, but all of the Kobo readers. It's why I no longer have any Kindle eink readers, although I have successfully hacked Kindles in the past to give me the options I want. (Hacking the Voyage, though, is far from a sure thing, in fact, don't hold your breath). The kobo is far superior for user customization.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #59
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I too opted for the Kobo for that reason. If I'm going to be paying that much for a device that only displays text, I'm not going to put up with bad typography. The early October ETA instead of late December also helps.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #60
roninmedia
Enthusiast
roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2
I don't need the waterproofing, but I'm likely going to get the H2O over the Voyage despite having about $300 in my Amazon balance to spend.
  • Larger screen
  • Expandable storage
  • More text and font options
  • More formats supported

And it's $30 cheaper to boot! I don't own any e-books from the Amazon ecosystem and all the e-books I do have are in epub format.

Last edited by roninmedia; 09-30-2014 at 09:02 PM.
roninmedia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kobo, voyage