Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #1
FavSport:Reading
Enthusiast
FavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Sudden issues with kobo, epubor, and Calibre

I have been using epubor to remove drm from my Kobo (I have the Kobo Forma) books since November without any problems whatsoever. Now, all of a sudden, it doesn’t work. I have the latest updates to epubor. I have been in contact with epubor and they have not been able to help me. They want to link to my computer now. I am not comfortable with that so told them I will just buy my books from Amazon. (I have an old Kindle keyboard that works with epubor without fail, as does the Kindle for PC older version). I would still like to be able to use epubor with Kobo however. When I drag a book over, it just says it’s working but never does anything. I have to go into Task Manager to shut it down.

At the same time it stopped working with epubor, it also stopped working with Calibre in the flawless way that it used to. I am only able to move books from Calibre to my Kobo, but that is it. I can no longer remove books via Calibre, or anything else.

I believe it may be because of a Kobo update. I am at a loss and it is beyond my tech abilities (which are lacking in any event).
FavSport:Reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FavSport:Reading View Post
I have been using epubor to remove drm from my Kobo (I have the Kobo Forma) books since November without any problems whatsoever. Now, all of a sudden, it doesn’t work. I have the latest updates to epubor. I have been in contact with epubor and they have not been able to help me. They want to link to my computer now. I am not comfortable with that so told them I will just buy my books from Amazon. (I have an old Kindle keyboard that works with epubor without fail, as does the Kindle for PC older version). I would still like to be able to use epubor with Kobo however. When I drag a book over, it just says it’s working but never does anything. I have to go into Task Manager to shut it down.
We can't help much here as help with DRM removal is not allow. But, I can suggest you look at the Apprentice Alf tools instead of epubor.
Quote:
At the same time it stopped working with epubor, it also stopped working with Calibre in the flawless way that it used to. I am only able to move books from Calibre to my Kobo, but that is it. I can no longer remove books via Calibre, or anything else.

I believe it may be because of a Kobo update. I am at a loss and it is beyond my tech abilities (which are lacking in any event).
Are you getting an error message when you connect to calibre? And did you read it?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
Enthusiast
FavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheeseFavSport:Reading can extract oil from cheese

Yes, I do get a warning: Failed. “Kobo database version unsupported” and then when I click on details, it says the following:

“Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting “Configure this device” and then the “Attempt to support newer firmware” option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 152.
Device firmware version: (4, 14, 12777)”

Should I go ahead and do this? I am capable of this much. Lol

I have Apprentice Alf installed with Calibre but don’t know what I am doing wrong. It doesn’t seem to do anything for me. I thought it was automatic. I did find an update for Apprentice Alf (6.6.3 I think), and I downloaded it to my computer but can’t seem to figure out how to get it into Calibre. I went to Plugins, Load plugin from file, but it doesn’t show up and when I search for it, I can’t find it in the pop-up window. I have to click on my files to find it, but then don’t know how to move it (I assume I am moving the compressed zipped version????). I also installed the KFX Input and Output plugins, as well as the Kobo plugin (not sure if I did the right thing; I know so little about this). Calibre is amazing, but a little overwhelming for me.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I do get a warning: Failed. “Kobo database version unsupported” and then when I click on details, it says the following:

“Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting “Configure this device” and then the “Attempt to support newer firmware” option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 152.
Device firmware version: (4, 14, 12777)”

Should I go ahead and do this? I am capable of this much. Lol
Yes, do that. And this has been discussed several times with this firmware as there has been a delay in the calibre release with the update.
Quote:
I have Apprentice Alf installed with Calibre but don’t know what I am doing wrong. It doesn’t seem to do anything for me. I thought it was automatic. I did find an update for Apprentice Alf (6.6.3 I think), and I downloaded it to my computer but can’t seem to figure out how to get it into Calibre. I went to Plugins, Load plugin from file, but it doesn’t show up and when I search for it, I can’t find it in the pop-up window. I have to click on my files to find it, but then don’t know how to move it (I assume I am moving the compressed zipped version????). I also installed the KFX Input and Output plugins, as well as the Kobo plugin (not sure if I did the right thing; I know so little about this). Calibre is amazing, but a little overwhelming for me.
Again, we can't discuss the details of the DRM methods. You can at the source of the tools. But, to install a plugin from a file, you are doing the right thing, you just need to find the plugins file to install. You will need to unpack the tools package to do this.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
Enthusiast

Okay, the Kobo thing worked. Thank you for that.

I understand you can’t discuss DRM and that’s fine. You mentioned how to install a plugin from a file, but I just can’t seem to figure it out. This is what I’m doing:

In Calibre, I go to Preferences, then Plugins, then Load Plugin from file (as stated in my previous message). From there, what pops up is a zipped folder called alfcrypto_src. If I try to load that, it says that it is an Invalid Plugin and does not contain a top-level__init__.py file. You said I need to find the plugins file to install and unpack the tools package to do this. I honestly have no idea what you mean. So sorry for my ignorance. Can you walk me through this with baby steps? I understand if you don’t want to and will just move on. Lol
Old 05-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You've downloaded source rather than the plug-in? just a guess.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay, the Kobo thing worked. Thank you for that.

I understand you can’t discuss DRM and that’s fine. You mentioned how to install a plugin from a file, but I just can’t seem to figure it out. This is what I’m doing:

In Calibre, I go to Preferences, then Plugins, then Load Plugin from file (as stated in my previous message). From there, what pops up is a zipped folder called alfcrypto_src. If I try to load that, it says that it is an Invalid Plugin and does not contain a top-level__init__.py file. You said I need to find the plugins file to install and unpack the tools package to do this. I honestly have no idea what you mean. So sorry for my ignorance. Can you walk me through this with baby steps? I understand if you don’t want to and will just move on. Lol
You downloaded a file from the other site. It will have been a zip file containing multiple tools. Unpack that. It contains more than on plugin. The plugins are zip files. Do on unpack them. Find the zip file for the plugin you need and install it.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #8
Enthusiast

Finally, I found it. Thank you so much for your help. I like to put my books on my readers and I happen to have a couple of different ones (one goes in our camper, one stays home), and it’s nice to be able to do that. Again, thank you helping me through this.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #9
thekidsmom
Connoisseur
thekidsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 3, nook, Nexus 7, iPad
Is there a way to downgrade back to the previous version? I unintentionally upgraded my Kobo today (dumb dumb dumb) and got this same error message when connected to calibre. I'm fairly new to Kobo and not about to go digging about the files without expert advice.
thekidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidsmom View Post
Is there a way to downgrade back to the previous version? I unintentionally upgraded my Kobo today (dumb dumb dumb) and got this same error message when connected to calibre. I'm fairly new to Kobo and not about to go digging about the files without expert advice.
Simply follow the instructions in the message or wait till the next calibre update releases. If there was an issue with using the Attempt to support newer firmware, it would have been posted to this forum. IMNSHO, a safer option than reverting to an earlier firmware version.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #11
thekidsmom
Connoisseur
thekidsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 3, nook, Nexus 7, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Simply follow the instructions in the message or wait till the next calibre update releases. If there was an issue with using the Attempt to support newer firmware, it would have been posted to this forum. IMNSHO, a safer option than reverting to an earlier firmware version.
Thanks. Good advice; I'll sit tight.
thekidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
Enthusiast

I did what davidfor said to do while plugged into Calibre with my Kobo. I was able to configure it without any problems whatsoever and now Calibre is not giving me the warning sign. My Kobo also did that recent update, but it is not a problem with Calibre now.