Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #1696
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Ziploc makes Paperwhite waterproof containers in bulk, but they cryptically label them "Ziploc® Brand Freezer Bags Quart / Medium"
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #1697
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
quote: Voyage I can read and read and read and leave wifi on and finally I am free. So it feels like. I'll never get weeks out of an e-reader as I read way more than 30 minutes a day, so getting days is fine for me. "

Ditto! And when I went on a long vacation, I did turn the wifi off, and got more battery length. But at home, I like to be able to leave wifi on, and STILL not have to worry about the battery for several days. It's great!

I always have the cord plugged in to a wall socket next to my bed on my night stand. About once a week, after I finish reading, I turn over in bed, attach the cord to my KV and go to sleep. Too easy. No worries about battery life with or without the wifi.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #1698
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
I always have the cord plugged in to a wall socket next to my bed on my night stand. About once a week, after I finish reading, I turn over in bed, attach the cord to my KV and go to sleep. Too easy. No worries about battery life with or without the wifi.
Some people I know "can't live anymore" without Qi in their phone. Sticking a cable into it is SUCH a hassle! To avoid that insurmountable hassle, they'd rather use a hugely expensive charger. (Last time I looked, the 'official' Nokia one cost €69 or so.)

I can see an e-reader with Qi coming...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #1699
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Waterproof PW1 with Qi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od2ZrohoLPc
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:20 AM   #1700
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Some people I know "can't live anymore" without Qi in their phone. Sticking a cable into it is SUCH a hassle! To avoid that insurmountable hassle, they'd rather use a hugely expensive charger. (Last time I looked, the 'official' Nokia one cost €69 or so.)

FWIW, I don't think someone needs to pay a lot. I purchased a wireless charger for my daughter for $14 and it's been working fine for the past two months.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #1701
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I, for one, don't really need Qi! Instead of putting new chips in there, Amazon should just bring back what they took out since Kindle Touch. Please bring headphone jack back in V2!

In fact, wireless charging can be harmful:

Quote:
Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.
source

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-08-2015 at 12:10 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #1702
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And in contemplation to buy a Voyage or not, to be honest, in daylight with front-light on a PW3 at 0, my DXG still beats PW3! (if for a second, we don't care about specs)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151008_162155.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	714.4 KB
ID:	142709  

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-08-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #1703
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
And in contemplation to buy a Voyage or not, to be honest, in daylight with front-light on a PW3 at 0, my DXG still beats PW3! (if for a second, we don't care about specs)
Your pic of the PW3 looked so blurry, I got curious, and just took this pic outdoors of my PW2 with light set to 0 next to my DX, and both are very readable (font on both is Caecilia).Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444339305121.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	142712
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #1704
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Your pic of the PW3 looked so blurry, I got curious, and just took this pic outdoors of my PW2 with light set to 0 next to my DX, and both are very readable (font on both is Caecilia).Attachment 142712
Yes, both are absolutely readable. My point was that there are some people who boast about ppi blah blah (just like megapixels in camera!) that even a 6-7 year old DXG kicks a$$ today. Otherwise, both are very nice. To be honest, in day-light, I prefer DXG/Keyboard and at night a frontlit Kindle.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #1705
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have a Voyage, I got it last November and have used that as my main reader since then. A week ago I got a Kobo Glo HD and I can honestly say I prefer it, it's a pleasure to read at a font size that's perfect to me which is half way between the Voyage 4 and 5, the fonts are darker too and as much as the hepatic buttons on the Voyage are nice it's nicer to be able to hold the Glo higher up and just lightly tap the screen to page forward.

I'll keep my Voyage as my travel reader as I think it's more robust and it as a stronger case but for reading at home I'll use the Glo.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-08-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #1706
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have a Voyage, I got it last November and have used that as my main reader since then. A week ago I got a Kobo Glo HD and I can honestly say I prefer it, it's a pleasure to read at a font size that's perfect to me which is half way between the Voyage 4 and 5, the fonts are darker too and as much as the hepatic buttons on the Voyage are nice it's nicer to be able to hold the Glo higher up and just lightly tap the screen to page forward.

I'll keep my Voyage as my travel reader as I think it's more robust and it as a stronger case but for reading at home I'll use the Glo.
Awesome. I've been a long time owner of non-touch Kindles, and have always liked them more. Even now. But now, if Amazon brings some non-fancy features to KV2, I'd buy it, so that I have 2 eReaders. I like to be minimalist. It's just that here it rains a lot, and I LOVE reading while walking in rain, and I can't do that with my DXG... I've been doing it with my K3 (which is a beast in its own right).

Plus reading at night gives a very nice relaxing feeling and I'd like to experience that. So here I come with a appetite for front-lit ereader.

- Waterproof KV2, retain the flush screen (water and dust proof)
- Plain and simple back-plate instead of that fancy origami, just like PW3
- Non-intrusive Kindle logo just like PW3 (it's black instead of silver like Voyage and PW2)
- retain the strong build quality, so that it can bear the abuses it might go through, just like K3
- Audio (very unlikely to happen, because of this agreement)

If it has these, I'm buying KV2 in a heartbeat to replace my K3.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-08-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #1707
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
You do know that the "origami" is the cover, not the back plate? You can buy other brands of cover that don't have that folding nonsense, just nice simple backs. The ACcase is a great example. There's a whole thread on what case to get for a Voyage.

Just sayin'.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #1708
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
You do know that the "origami" is the cover, not the back plate? You can buy other brands of cover that don't have that folding nonsense, just nice simple backs. The ACcase is a great example. There's a whole thread on what case to get for a Voyage.

Just sayin'.
Oh yes, sorry, my lazy writing.
I meant the fancy backplate (well it has 2 pieces) of KV is an immediate turn-off for me, so much that even wanting to hide it with a case doesn't help my feeling towards it! That was main reason I didn't even consider KV last year (well call it KV1, shall we?)

If KV2 continues same design on back, I'll have to most prolly pass.