Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
No, they're just refusing to sell accessible versions of books. That's the elephant in the room with this discussion.
Well, no, they aren't refusing to sell ebooks to libraries, they are simply delaying selling ebooks to library. A very different thing entirely.

It's a rational experiment by Tor to see what effect windowing has on ebook sales. When I look at my local library, I see that John Scalzi's latest, published Oct, 2018 is available. Looking at the April releases by Tor, I see them in my local library's ebook catalog as available. I don't see the Tor May releases there. So if it's just delaying the release by a month, this strikes me as a tempest in a teacup.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #17
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
That's interesting. The last I heard was that the e-book library delay was six months, not one. Perhaps Tor is modifying or wrapping up their embargo experiment.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #18
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
That's interesting. The last I heard was that the e-book library delay was six months, not one. Perhaps Tor is modifying or wrapping up their embargo experiment.
Or maybe people were just accepting claims they were reading online without checking the validity out.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:32 AM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Or maybe people were just accepting claims they were reading online without checking the validity out.
You think that LibraryJournal was inventing statements from Tor, Macmillan and the ALA?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
You think that LibraryJournal was inventing statements from Tor, Macmillan and the ALA?
Did LibraryJournal claim that Tor was putting a 6 month embargo on selling ebooks to libraries? The article linked at the start of the thread said 4 months. Even 4 months is pretty much a tempest in a teacup, IMPO, given that you might end up on the wait list that long for a really popular book.

People mis-remember things. Others start pounding the table without checking out the facts. Happens all the time.
Advert
Old 06-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #21
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Yeah, apparently it's four months, and my library was mistaken when they told me six. It wasn't something "claimed online"... this was an official response from my library about a request to purchase a Tor title.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reject.png
Views:	154
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	171779  
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Yeah, apparently it's four months, and my library was mistaken when they told me six. It wasn't something "claimed online"... this was an official response from my library about a request to purchase a Tor title.
Reagan's Russia doctrine (Trust but verify) works just as well for what you are told over the phone as it does for teenagers and what you read on the internet. It's usually a good idea to validate things before getting too worked up about them.