Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #31
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I really love this device, but $500 is too much. I'm sure some folks think it is just fine but if you think in comparison to what you can get for $500 in other devices that just seems high.
Well from that approach then $500 is a great deal. Personally I just think $500 is too much for any consumption based device (e.g. used primarily for surfing, reading, playing games.).

I suppose if I did not already have a 4" smartphone and a Kindle 2 I might consider buying a device like this. But 7" seems a bit too large to be portable. The 5" streak was ideal, too bad Dell ruined it by shipping 1.6 and tying it to AT&T.
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 10-28-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: That's a Kindle 2 not a K3
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #32
LakeLoon
Wanderer
LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Having just returned from playing with one (at the "Samsung Experience" in NYC), I have to say that the Tab is pretty sweet. The iPad has its merits, but I really prefer the Samsung form factor, SD card slot, and forward-facing camera.

$500 for wifi-only is not cheap, but as a "first mover" in the premium Android tablet world, Samsung can get away with charging more. The price will come down as the competition heats up, I don't doubt. But plenty of people won't be able to wait . . .
LakeLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLoon View Post
$500 for wifi-only is not cheap, but as a "first mover" in the premium Android tablet world, Samsung can get away with charging more. The price will come down as the competition heats up, I don't doubt. But plenty of people won't be able to wait . . .
I'm not sure just how much they can get away with such high pricing; especially in light of B&N's surprise entry into the tablet arena.

At half the price, it's hard to walk away from the Nook Color.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #34
LakeLoon
Wanderer
LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LakeLoon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
At half the price, it's hard to walk away from the Nook Color.
I agree that the Nook Color's pricing is more attractive, but the specs aren't equivalent (I don't think anyone would dispute that). The Tab is a "premium" device, the Nook is more "value" oriented.

I don't claim to know the definitive specs of either device--just what I read, which could be wrong--but I believe the Galaxy Tab Wifi will have a faster CPU (1GHz vs 800 MHz), better graphics (SGX540 vs. 530), video out, bluetooth, a GPS chip, rear and front-facing cameras, and full Android marketplace (the Samsung guy claimed).

For me, those features are a powerful argument for laying down more cash. Worth twice the price? I still haven't decided. I will need to spend some hands-on time with the Nook and see if I get the same "wow, that's really nice" sensation I got when playing with the Tab.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #35
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
As gadgets are being outdated at an alarming rate, I think $500 is a lot of money for common public to invest in a premium 1st gen device that is going to be obsolete in a couple of months.

$250 for the Nook Color like you said is more "value oriented" and it is priced at a level where people feel less painful to pay for something that they know would be outdated in 6 months. It is not a Cadillac but it might be just good enough for people who wants a decent device now until the next and better goody comes along.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #36
LakeLoon
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
As gadgets are being outdated at an alarming rate, I think $500 is a lot of money for common public to invest in a premium 1st gen device that is going to be obsolete in a couple of months.
You know, I don't disagree. But I see some logic in the pricing. People are willing to pay $500+ for iPads, and the Tab will be viewed by some as an iPad alternative--attractive for those who prefer the 7" form factor, Android over iOS, other hardware differences.

Hmm, "obsolete" is a tricky term. For me, if it works well for the things I want to do, a device doesn't become "obsolete" simply because a newer/shinier/better spec'd device comes along. Whereas, if its performance is deficient to begin with, it was probably "obsolete" the second it left the shelf.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #37
LakeLoon
Wanderer

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. Engadget has posted a full review of the Tab here. Their conclusion? While they have reservations, they also say:

Quote:
After spending the last couple of days with the Galaxy Tab, we can confidently say it's the best Android tablet on the market. Now, that's not saying much given the state of the Android competition, but we can also assuredly say that the Tab is the first true competitor to Apple's iPad. Its crisp display, compact form factor, touch-friendly software and dual cameras undoubtedly have what it takes to win over the average tablet seeker.
So now, let's get that wifi-only version released, and then some real competition to bring the price down!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't claim to know the definitive specs of either device--just what I read, which could be wrong--but I believe the Galaxy Tab Wifi will have a faster CPU (1GHz vs 800 MHz), better graphics (SGX540 vs. 530), video out, bluetooth, a GPS chip, rear and front-facing cameras, and full Android marketplace (t he Samsung guy claimed).
CPU/GPU -- will the average consumer even notice?
video out -- why? what practical purpose does this provide?
GPS/cams -- why? this device isn't small enough to warrant these
bluetooth -- it's built into the CPU, all B&N needs to do it activate it

Market -- this is the Galaxy's one and only major advantage over the Nook; a hack will remedy that though
Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #39
LakeLoon
Wanderer

Quote:
bluetooth -- it's built into the CPU, all B&N needs to do it activate it
Clearly you do not envision using a tablet in the same ways as me!

CPU/GPU - crucial for smooth video playback, crispness of interface. The average consumer will definitely notice lag.
video out - because I want to use it as a portable media player, allowing me to play videos on TVs in hotels/homes of friends and family when on the road
cams - video Skype. I don't much care about the rear-facing one.
GPS - to use as navigation in (rented) automobiles and for geocaching.

I already carry devices that perform these functions, and use them all the time. If I can replace some of them with the Tab, it becomes worth acquiring another device.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Clearly you do not envision using a tablet in the same ways as me!
And neither does the average consumer.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #41
LakeLoon
Wanderer

Quote:
And neither does the average consumer.
. . . and my point was that the Tab is priced as a premium product, not one targeted at the "average consumer," yes? The premium space is a nice place to be. Just ask Apple.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
. . . and my point was that the Tab is priced as a premium product, not one targeted at the "average consumer," yes? The premium space is a nice place to be. Just ask Apple.
But it doesn't have enough so-called premium features to justify such a ridiculously high price.

CPU/GPU for the Nook Color is just a bit less than the iPad and Galaxy; not substantially less. Likewise, it's display is their equal.

The major drawback for the Color is lack of an established app store; and that's not worth an extra $250 in my opinion. Others may feel differently.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #43
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I love GPS on iPad and Galaxy Tab and my other units.
You're right: I won't use any of these tablets as a GPS system on my bike for example.
But I love them as my travel companions. On the road, iPhone4 or Dell Streak of course will suffice.
But in the evening, in the hotel, it's just great to check your pictures and maps directly on your tab. Of course you can use a combo, for example iPhone4/iPad or Dell Streak/Notebook, for the very same result. But often you'll enjoy the convenience of a single unit. And then Galaxy Tab is a perfect compromise of mobility and screen estate. For some uses, I find Dell Streak's 5" just too small and iPad way too bulky...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #44
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use this on all my devices. 2 weeks ago, I've watched half a dozen episodes of "Friends" and "Two and a half men" in my hotel room. I've used my iPod classic for that. But sometimes I have to travel "light" and just want to take a single unit with me. Then it's great to connect your gadget to your hotel's TV in the evening instead of watching PayTV or sometimes strange shows in a foreign language.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #45
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I've copied a HD movie ("Horton", ca. 4GB) to Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab. On Dell Streak, with it's smaller screen, it's spectacular. But the unit struggles, it's no "smooth experience" (maybe 2.2 will change it a bit, using 2.1 for now). Samsung Galaxy Tab plays it perfectly. Won't be my main use, I'm mainly using more compact units like iPhone4 or iPod classic as my movie library. But it's good to know, I could do with a single unit.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-01-2010 at 08:22 PM.