Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Nook and Mac

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced any limitations in getting the Nook to work on a Mac? Primarily I am thinking of purchasing books from sites other than B&N and loading the epubs onto the device. I have a Sony and I have found to date (although I am working on it) that ADE won't recognize my device using the Mac version of the software. If you were to purchase a DRM Epub book from another store and want to upload it via USB could you do it with or without ADE? Or could you somehow do it via the Wifi capacity on the Nook?

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I've been using my nook successfully with my mac since I received it in december. I am able to load epubs purchased from non-B&N sources, including Sony, without trouble. I do have the problem many have experienced where sideloaded books are not sorted in any obvious way in the "my documents" folder on the device.
I have had success loading DRMed epubs from sony directly to the device via USB. I'm not aware of any way to connect to it via wifi. Books I have purchased which need to be downloaded through ADE also transfer to the nook without incident, ADE automatically recognized the device and authorized it. One issue, however, is that the latest version of the nook firmware can cause the nook to not recognize the ADE folder, you need to manually drag ADE books out of the ADE folder on the nook and plop them into the "my documents" folder. Once there they work flawlessly. I have also downloaded books within ADE on my mac and then transferred to "my documents" directly on the nook, without using ADE to transfer. That works fine, also.

You will, however, have to successfully authorize your nook with ADE before DRMed epubs will be accessible on it, regardless of how you later transfer content.

Good luck!
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
I discovered issues with Overdrive on the Mac and have to download library e-books on my PC and side load them on nook.
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
dborja
Enthusiast
dborja began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks, kezza! I'm in a similar boat (migrating from Sony to Nook and using a Mac). This is great information as I await my Nook.

Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
I've been using my nook successfully with my mac since I received it in december. I am able to load epubs purchased from non-B&N sources, including Sony, without trouble. I do have the problem many have experienced where sideloaded books are not sorted in any obvious way in the "my documents" folder on the device.
I have had success loading DRMed epubs from sony directly to the device via USB. I'm not aware of any way to connect to it via wifi. Books I have purchased which need to be downloaded through ADE also transfer to the nook without incident, ADE automatically recognized the device and authorized it. One issue, however, is that the latest version of the nook firmware can cause the nook to not recognize the ADE folder, you need to manually drag ADE books out of the ADE folder on the nook and plop them into the "my documents" folder. Once there they work flawlessly. I have also downloaded books within ADE on my mac and then transferred to "my documents" directly on the nook, without using ADE to transfer. That works fine, also.

You will, however, have to successfully authorize your nook with ADE before DRMed epubs will be accessible on it, regardless of how you later transfer content.

Good luck!
dborja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul58 View Post
I discovered issues with Overdrive on the Mac and have to download library e-books on my PC and side load them on nook.
Does Overdrive not work with ADE on the Mac? I could have sworn it did with my local library (which uses Overdrive).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
Paul58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Does Overdrive not work with ADE on the Mac? I could have sworn it did with my local library (which uses Overdrive).
I should probably rephrase my previous post! I have not gotten Overdrive to work with ADE on my MacBook, but I have only had the Mac since Saturday, and this is my first Mac. ADE seems to be working, it loaded and I was able to import all the e-books I migrated from my PC. When I try to download a checked out e-book from the library, it says I need more application installed (Real Player, Media Player, etc), which I have installed, but it still says I need them. When I try to download the e-book from the library, nothing happens. I probably have something set up wrong, and plan on visiting the local Apple Storesoon to see if they can help sort it out.

In the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions, I really need some ! And any assistance would really be apreciated!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
When I try to download a checked out e-book from the library, it says I need more application installed (Real Player, Media Player, etc), which I have installed, but it still says I need them.
Are you sure you aren't downloading audiobooks instead of ebooks?
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Paul58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Are you sure you aren't downloading audiobooks instead of ebooks?

They are EPUB files, the type that download as ?????.ascm pointers to the actual EPUB file that download from within ADE (or at least that's how they worked on my PC after it didn't work on my Mac). The Mac won't download Audio Books either, I still have to use my PC to accomplish that as well...

Last edited by Paul58; 01-20-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
ADE on the mac can load ASCM files, something must be messing with file associations, methinks. Have you tried opening these files via "Open With..." and pointing it at ADE? Does it work?
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
ac4lt
Connoisseur
ac4lt began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I've used ADE on the mac to download adobe pdf's from overdrive. I haven't had any issues. I think Kolenka's idea about file associations is probably on the right track.
ac4lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Paul58

ADE works, the problem is the files don't download from the Library website. It says I have to load ADE (which is already loaded) in order to view the files. When I click download, nothing happens. I look in my download folder and nothing is there...
Old 01-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
ac4lt
Connoisseur

I don't understand what you mean. Here's what I do. Perhaps that will help the discussion. In my case, I've been doing this with files from overdrive.

1. When I click 'download on overdrive, a '.acsm' file gets downloaded to my mac.
2. I then double click that '.acsm' file and ADE starts and automatically does the actual download of the book.

Are those the steps your following or are you doing something else?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
Paul58

That is exactly what happens when I download from the Library to my PC. When I do the exact same thing on my Mac, nothing happens.

While Overdrive is loaded on both my PC and my Mac, I don't actually have it running (or should I say, I don't start the program) before accessing the Library site. If it it runs in the background or not I don't know. Does this help?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
ac4lt
Connoisseur

Ok, so when you double click the .acsm file then nothing happens? Have I got that right?

If so, then try this:

Right click (or control click) the .acsm file and select 'open with'. In the submenu, select "Adobe Digital Editions". That should do it. If you don't see "Adobe Digital Editions" in the submenu then select 'other..." from the submenu and that will bring up a file chooser. Select "Adobe Digital Editions" in the file chooser. If that works then we need to figure out why your file association is messed up.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
Paul58

I don't get that far on the Mac, when I click the link within the Library website (the one that says Download) nothing happens. So, for some reason the Mac won't let the file download to the computer.