Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Is their an alternative to Calibre that is as good?

Hi

I am having major issues using Calibre at the moment as most of the time it doesn't recognise my reader, It doesn't seem to have a pattern and I have the same issue on 3 pc's. I have raised a bug ticket and the Calibre developers have been very helpful but so far we can't work out what is wrong. I have uninstalled and reinstalled loads of times, and disablled AV but still no joy. I did wonder if my reader was faulty but it works fine with the Sony Software.

So my question is, can anyone recommend any software out on the market ( I donated to Calibre so I am quite happy to pay for it) thats as good as Calibre and works in the same way?

I need to be able to edit book details, such as title, author, publisher etc, (I load a lot of word docs) and be able to use Tags to group my stories into Collections.

I am a heavy ebook library user and have 618 stories set into 72 collections, all loaded via Calibre, so I really need something as good as Calibre, the Sony ebook software is just nowhere near good enough

I hate not being able to use Calibre

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-09-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
To be completely honest I cannot. There are options like Adobe Digital Editions but nothing quite like Calibre.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I haven't seen or used anything quite like Calibre either-and this site (Mobilewise) and Teleread are probably the two main sources for any eBook related news-so if one shows up, you'll hear about it here first (or second ).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both for your comments, I am just pinning my hopes on a future release fixing whatever's wrong.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thank you both for your comments, I am just pinning my hopes on a future release fixing whatever's wrong.
Have you created a web ticket outlining your problems or started a specific thread for it. Kovid is very helpful.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Can you, in the mean-time, just export the files to a directory and manually copy? Shouldn't add more than a few seconds if you do it in bulk!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I use "save to disk" and select the mounted drive when Calibre doesn't recognize my device. You might try it.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Have you created a web ticket outlining your problems or started a specific thread for it. Kovid is very helpful.
Yes I have its ticket 4146, and yes Kovid is being very helpful, the problem is its a intermitant problem so we can't see any pattern. Sometimes it is recognised, sometimes not (mostly not). I am doing some PC housekeeping now and will then try a slightly older version of Calibre (pre 6.24) as the problem is quite recent.

Quote:
Can you, in the mean-time, just export the files to a directory and manually copy? Shouldn't add more than a few seconds if you do it in bulk!
Quote:
I use "save to disk" and select the mounted drive when Calibre doesn't recognize my device. You might try it.
I am not sure what you mean?

Do you mean load my stories into Calibre and then using 'save to disc' navigate to the external drive (which is actually the reader), bypassing 'send to device'

Would that even work?

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-09-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes I have its ticket 4146, and yes Kovid is being very helpful, the problem is its a intermitant problem so we can't see any pattern. Sometimes it is recognised, sometimes not (mostly not). I am doing some PC housekeeping now and will then try a slightly older version of Calibre (pre 6.24) as the problem is quite recent.
It sounds to me like the problem is unique to your PRS-505. Have you tried a new cable or resetting the reader? Maybe reformatting and starting over?

I can imagine how frustrating it is.

Good Luck

Update - I just noticed you said it works fine with the Sony software. So resetting or reformatting your device is the logical step. It certainly is a mystery. I'm glad my 505 reader isn't affected by this bug.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-09-2009 at 08:20 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I don't think there is anything like it. It is itunes for ebooks.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It sounds to me like the problem is unique to your PRS-505. Have you tried a new cable or resetting the reader? Maybe reformatting and starting over?

I can imagine how frustrating it is.

Good Luck

Update - I just noticed you said it works fine with the Sony software. So resetting or reformatting your device is the logical step. It certainly is a mystery. I'm glad my 505 reader isn't affected by this bug.
Thank you Walt, I took your sugestion and 1) went back to default settings, and 2) reformatted my reader.

I didn't know what Format Internal Memory did, but I do now, it wiped my reader clean of every story (I had 618 on the reader). That does seem to have done the trick, alhough I am running version 6.23, and I won't upgrade for a while as I don't want to risk any more problems.

Kovid thinks my over full memory (I only had 35GB out of 210GB free) may have been causing some intermittant problems, and my reader is certainly faster now.

I love my 505 but will be upgrading to a 600 this weekend, as it has a bigger memory (so my story collection won't make it almost full) and a better processer. I can also split my library between two books.

I travel a lot and like to have plenty of choice and rarely delete a story, just keep adding more!

Thanks everyone who commented and tried to help.

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-10-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thank you Walt, I took your suggestion and 1) went back to default settings, and 2) reformatted my reader.

I didn't know what Format Internal Memory did, but I do now, it wiped my reader clean of every story (I had 618 on the reader). That does seem to have done the trick, although I am running version 6.23, and I won't upgrade for a while as I don't want to risk any more problems.

Kovid thinks my over full memory (I only had 35M out of 210M free) may have been causing some intermittent problems, and my reader is certainly faster now.
Your Welcome.

Previously I found that when my reader was short on memory that my reader would restart more frequently. A cheap 2Gb SD card solved this problem, I just put the books on the SD card and left main memory mostly clear.

Although currently I've removed the SD card and just limit books in main memory to those I may wish to read. I have 179 books out of my 1000+ books in Calibre on my reader . Those books are in 32 collections the rest of the books are in Calibre just waiting to be called up.

When I update Calibre (I.E. 0.6.25 to 0.6.26) my reader is not connected to the computer. The current updates just change the computer software.

I'm glad it is working for you now.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote