Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #16
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I try to read some at work. Some days I read nothing (internet only),
some days I read a few hours.

They say it's good for your kids to read 20 minutes a day
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #17
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
How much time per day do you spend reading per day? For me, it's probably less than an hour per day. I would like to read more but either due to distractions/internet or exhaustion after work keeps me from sitting down and reading a good book. However, when I'm in an exhausted state I find it easy to surf the internet for hours watching youtube videos, looking at different forums or checking twitter/facebook for some reasons. My new years resolution will be to increase my reading time per day because I've never felt like I wasted my time after spending time reading.
For me it varies a lot. Most days I read at least an hour. Often 2 or 3 hours. Sometimes more but mostly not. Now and then I'll skip a day and not read at all. I'm retired and I'm home most of the time so it's entirely up to me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I try to read some at work. Some days I read nothing (internet only),
some days I read a few hours.

They say it's good for your kids to read 20 minutes a day
Is that only 20 minutes a day or at least 20 minutes a day?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
About 4-5 hours per day on average over the last few years. That gets me through about 150 books per year.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think I'm starting to see why those lighted screens bother your eyes
I don't do it all the time. I tend to "binge read." The last couple months about 25 books (I think). The rest of the year about four or five. I'm not that fast of a reader, just persistent when I get into the "binge mode."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #21
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Back before I started making mods for computer games maybe a couple hours a day minimum (reading during meals would use at least that much). During vacations or weekends I might binge and read all day going through 1 to 3 books a day depending on size and interest. Modding has cut into that a lot but still at least 1 to 2 hours a day though not usually in one chunk. Housework suffers but who cares.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
...a couple hours a day minimum (reading during meals would use at least that much).
How much time do you spend on meals
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How much time do you spend on meals
It might take me an hour to drink my coffee. Other meals take at least a half hour to eat. Not uncommon for people to take their time eating. If she reads during meal prep, that time can add up in a hurry. I see 20 minutes of downtime just for pasta. Water boil time + cook time.
So this leads me to ask: how much time do you spend on meals?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #24
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Last couple months? Probably averaging about three or four hours a day – some days six or seven hours. The ten months before? ... very little. Probably an average of 10 to 15 minutes a day (if that).
This is a pretty good description of how I read. Sometimes hardly at all and other times a great deal. This is not including the 70-80 websites I visit every day, of course.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It might take me an hour to drink my coffee. Other meals take at least a half hour to eat. Not uncommon for people to take their time eating. If she reads during meal prep, that time can add up in a hurry. I see 20 minutes of downtime just for pasta. Water boil time + cook time.
So this leads me to ask: how much time do you spend on meals?
Let's estimate a half hour for lunch and dinner. Breakfast, fifteen minutes to half an hour. So let's say an hour and a half a day.

Having said that, I would love to spend a couple of hours a day reading during meals. It sounds so relaxing.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Let's estimate a half hour for lunch and dinner. Breakfast, fifteen minutes to half an hour. So let's say an hour and a half a day.

Having said that, I would love to spend a couple of hours a day reading during meals. It sounds so relaxing.
See you found almost as much time as the one you asked.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #27
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Between 0 and 4 hours depending on the day. I've had stretches of days or even weeks where I don't read, and sometimes I read 3-4 hours a day for days on end. It depends on how busy I am, if I have to commute or not, or if I decide to practice one of my many other hobbies, among which are piano playing, some AI programming/jacking around (I work in IT at the moment, and don't do a lot of IT-stuff as a hobby anymore), playing cRPG's, listen to music, write a (short) story, or watch a movie.

I also "lost" quite some free time due to having a GF again since last year. That's not a bad thing; it's just another "hobby" for spending my free time. (I put it a bit awkwardly, but I hope you know what I mean.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I don't think there has ever been a day that I did not read. Even when I was hospitalized.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Between 0 and 4 hours depending on the day. I've had stretches of days or even weeks where I don't read, and sometimes I read 3-4 hours a day for days on end. It depends on how busy I am, if I have to commute or not, or if I decide to practice one of my many other hobbies, among which are piano playing, some AI programming/jacking around (I work in IT at the moment, and don't do a lot of IT-stuff as a hobby anymore), playing cRPG's, listen to music, write a (short) story, or watch a movie.

I also "lost" quite some free time due to having a GF again since last year. That's not a bad thing; it's just another "hobby" for spending my free time. (I put it a bit awkwardly, but I hope you know what I mean.)
I didn't know having a gluten free diet would cause you to lose time.
Best laugh ever. I caught your meaning. Yes, SO does cut into free time.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:34 PM   #30
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I didn't know having a gluten free diet would cause you to lose time.
Best laugh ever.
LOL. Is GF a common abbreviation for "gluten free" in English, or just among people concerned with dieting?

Quote:
I caught your meaning. Yes, SO does cut into free time.
I'm not complaining. She's a wonderful girl, and some of our hobbies (reading, piano playing, writing, movies, (classical) music) are the same. We're not living together yet, but when we do, it's no problem if one of us decides to spend time on a solitary hobby, because the other has solitary hobbies as well.

For us, it would be a bad idea to spend ALL of our free time together/doing common activities. We can't, as we're both very introverted and, at some point, _need_ time to do our own things, alone. For me, it goes as far as wanting to be alone in a room, in either complete silence or with some music of my choice. If I'm in that mood, any and all distractions, even just another person being around will annoy me to no end, even if the other isn't doing anything annoying.

So yes, we'll both "lose" free time that can be spent on solitary hobbies, but certainly not all of it. There will be enough time for reading... except when I (she) chooses to do something else.

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-28-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote