Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
13 sci-fi series starters to break in your new ebook reader

Hey guys.

This article just came up on my phone and thought it would be of interest here. The Verge is recommending 13 sci-fi series for folks that got a new e-reader.

Many of the series I didn't recognize and I couldn't believe Dune wasn't on there. But then, I guess I'm just old.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hey guys.

This article just came up on my phone and thought it would be of interest here. The Verge is recommending 13 sci-fi series for folks that got a new e-reader.

Many of the series I didn't recognize and I couldn't believe Dune wasn't on there. But then, I guess I'm just old.
I had heard of 2 of the authors. It is the Verge. I am not surprised Dune wasn't on there. Did you take a close look at most of those "series"? Most had one thing in common.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have heard of most of them and have read almost half.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I had heard of 2 of the authors. It is the Verge. I am not surprised Dune wasn't on there. Did you take a close look at most of those "series"? Most had one thing in common.
Okay, conspiracy lady. What did they have in common?

I did notice there seemed to be a focus on military sci-fi. But maybe that's just the easiest to do as a series.

I had heard of several of the authors. Kim Stanley Robinson, Iain Banks, C.J. Cherryh, Cixin Liu (though I didn't know The Three Body Problem was part of a series) and John Scalzi.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
There are two I haven't heard of, and I've read at least one book in every other series.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The question becomes are they good?
@ZodWallop, most appeared to be independent authors.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Every one of those are from Big 5 publishers except for Marko Kloos who is published by 47 North/Amazon Publishing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Every one of those are from Big 5 publishers except for Marko Kloos who is published by 47 North/Amazon Publishing.
That is fantastic. My mistake.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I've read most of that list. Those recommendations are good. But if I was making a similar list I would probably pick some other series ahead of many of these. Probably true for most of us. So many books and so little time to read them!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Okay. Others have answered. I just want to say that:

Quote:
most appeared to be independent authors.
does not beg the question:

Quote:
are they good?
There is no reason an independent author can't be good. And I have no reason to believe The Verge are acting as shills.

Also, I'm fairly out of touch anymore, but even I recognized about half the authors there (even if I wasn't familiar with the series) and they are all established.

I would just have liked to see Stephen Baxter or Frank Herbert in there. But I'm willing to admit it's because I'm a geezer.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-26-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
C. J. Cherryh's Downbelow Station is on their list, it is the start of a great series, but not sure if it makes sense to include it on a list like this when some of the books in the series are still not available as ebooks.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #12
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm not sure I'd want to include Dune as a series. As a single book, sure. I never made it through Messiah.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I'm not sure I'd want to include Dune as a series. As a single book, sure. I never made it through Messiah.
You and me both brother. But I hear the first three books are good.

At any rate, I just like the first one and like to see it included in lists of series. But then realistically you start talking about stuff like Foundation and I guess at some point it's healthy to move on. The Verge likely made the right decision to skip the classics. I'm just a classicist
Old 12-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Okay. Others have answered. I just want to say that:

does not beg the question:

There is no reason an independent author can't be good. And I have no reason to believe The Verge are acting as shills.

Also, I'm fairly out of touch anymore, but even I recognized about half the authors there (even if I wasn't familiar with the series) and they are all established.

I would just have liked to see Stephen Baxter or Frank Herbert in there. But I'm willing to admit it's because I'm a geezer.
You are not a geezer. You just got lost in the 60's. Now to figure out a way to bug you today.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
You are not a geezer. You just got lost in the 60's.
Which is funny, because I was born in the seventies. But I do tend to prefer older stuff.

Quote:
Now to figure out a way to bug you today.
Give it time