Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #31
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
How does that balance anything out? Effectively you still got one for free?
He got one for free as a review unit, which I assume was the original intention.

The balancing out is between keeping that free one, and selling it and buying another. Assuming he got less than the new price for the resale, he's actually lost out slightly (he's gone from having a monitor for no cost to having a monitor for the difference between what he got for the review one and the new price).

Compared with the scenario of the purchaser of the review unit buying from new, the purchaser of the review unit has gained (he got one for the lower price), and the manufacturer sees no difference (one review unit given away and one sold at normal price in both scenarios).
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #32
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
He got one for free as a review unit, which I assume was the original intention.

The balancing out is between keeping that free one, and selling it and buying another. Assuming he got less than the new price for the resale, he's actually lost out slightly (he's gone from having a monitor for no cost to having a monitor for the difference between what he got for the review one and the new price).

Compared with the scenario of the purchaser of the review unit buying from new, the purchaser of the review unit has gained (he got one for the lower price), and the manufacturer sees no difference (one review unit given away and one sold at normal price in both scenarios).
I paid a thousand dollars for a Paperlike from the first production run. Like almost all units from that run, mine died an early death.

Dasung gave me a 2nd-gen Paperlike, and then a Pro (3rd-gen). I eventually sold the 2nd-gen Paperlike and netted $400.

I'm still in the hole, but at least I minimized my loss.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #33
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Referencing the ethics, unless you agreed to something in advance, the review units are a gift that the reviewer can do with what they wish (sell, toss, donate, use, recycle). The only issue I have is that it is not in the description of the units being sold that these are used. It doesn't matter how they were acquired so long as they aren't stolen. If someone is dumb enough to pay retail for a used and out-of-warranty device, not much to be done about it.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-27-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #34
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Referencing the ethics, unless you agreed to something in advance, the review units are a gift that the reviewer can do with what they wish (sell, toss, donate, use, recycle).
Quite agree. I had wrongly assumed that there would be some conditions attached to review units. Seems that it ain't necessarily so.

Quote:
The only issue I have is that it is not in the description of the units being sold that these are used. It doesn't matter how they were acquired so long as they aren't stolen. If someone is dumb enough to pay retail for a used and out-of-warranty device, not much to be done about it.
Yes, although there might be nothing unethical about selling a review unit in the absence of any binding agreement, not clearly indicating in the product description that the device is used is rather unethical, even if it has only been lightly used.

Don't know who would pay those prices for a used product with no warranty from someone with a dubious reputation.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #35
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
I am not complaining that he cannot sell it and I have no problem if he does that.

I was just wondering what 'balancing out' meant in that logical context.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Referencing the ethics, unless you agreed to something in advance, the review units are a gift that the reviewer can do with what they wish (sell, toss, donate, use, recycle). The only issue I have is that it is not in the description of the units being sold that these are used. It doesn't matter how they were acquired so long as they aren't stolen. If someone is dumb enough to pay retail for a used and out-of-warranty device, not much to be done about it.
Without an agreement in advance, you can't make a claim either way. It's a matter of opinion, and the fact that both Kobo and Amazon include return shipping labels suggests their opinion is that they own the hardware.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #37
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Without an agreement in advance, you can't make a claim either way. It's a matter of opinion, and the fact that both Kobo and Amazon include return shipping labels suggests their opinion is that they own the hardware.
Oh, I totally agree with you. If you've been sent a review unit and return labels and shipping provided, those companies indeed DO OWN those devices and expect them to be returned. Sometimes you actually have to send it back at your cost if you accepted the item via email (it's in the fine print).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
...the fact that both Kobo and Amazon include return shipping labels suggests their opinion is that they own the hardware.
I do wonder though, if they were to just blatantly ignore those return labels, keep the products and sell them for a profit, wouldn't Kobo and Amazon stop sending them review units? I admit, 'it's okay because Amazon isn't complaining' isn't a strong argument. But it does make me think they likely do own the devices they are selling.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #39
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do wonder though, if they were to just blatantly ignore those return labels, keep the products and sell them for a profit, wouldn't Kobo and Amazon stop sending them review units? I admit, 'it's okay because Amazon isn't complaining' isn't a strong argument. But it does make me think they likely do own the devices they are selling.

I'm just glad they're not in the underwear business!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm just glad they're not in the underwear business!

They've figured out step 2!

ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #41
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
After the multiple Good e-reader tablet debacles, and them completely ignoring any and all customers, I would think twice before handing them some money.

I’ve never seen someone selling review copies of stuff, and for an independent reviewer to become a salesman is kinda missing the point of being a journalist, like they claim to be.
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #42
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I have one original Kindle Touch that is clearly marked as DEMO and NOT FOR SALE on the bezel. Per the seller to me it was bought from a Kindle retailer at a large discount after it was a discontinued model as Amazon did not want it back. In basically new condition and it works great. I consider it a bit of a collector;s item and oddity. No idea how common such units are.

Looking on the web site I consider his prices to be ridiculously high and the shipping to be highway robbery.

Last edited by Richwood; 12-06-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #43
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, apparently, they are now hoping to sell more than just review units on their website:

Quote:
Advertising on Good e-Reader

$399.99

This tier is for advertisers publishing a news item on Good e-Reader. In order to publish a news item on our website we require payment in advance and once payment has been approved your news item will be published within 24 hours.

Description

Good e-Reader is the definitive news outlet for e-books, e-readers and digital publishing. Advertising with Good e-Reader has tremendous benefits where you can reach over 1 million readers a month. You can publish one original piece for our news website and have it on our homepage for a few days, in addition to it appearing in Google News for six months. We allow up to four external links to other websites and they are do_follow. The sponsored article will not say, “Sponsored” on our website, so it looks very organic. A standalone article will be written by the publisher and have something to do with e-readers, tablets and e-books. The fee is $345 USD

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...-good-e-reader
Given the usual quality of their "articles" and "reviews", I wonder how many clients they will attract. Will they charge extra for their usual typos and grammatical errors?
Old 12-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #44
Question Mark
Wizard

Their line about their high journalistic integrity has returned to their original blog post. Priceless.

Quote:
When you buy an e-reader from us, you help maintain the high journalistic integrity of Good e-Reader.

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-now-available
Old 12-13-2017, 03:14 AM   #45
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Tweedle 1: I've got a new idea to get in some dough.
Tweedle 2: Like selling our review units? What else do we have to sell?
Tweedle 1: Ads on our blog. But without telling customers they're ads. How much do you think we can charge? 500 bucks?
Tweedle 2: That's a bit steep. Let's say 350. And I'm a bit worried; do you think it's entirely legal to have ads that aren't marked as such?
Tweedle 1: Scruples! You're getting old, bro! You were already worried about selling those review units without telling customers what they are buying. But then you wrote a blog post that store customers don't have to see. So why not now sell the ad in the shop, so that blog readers don't have to see it?
Tweedle 2: Great idea. I'll write something up. And while I'm at it, I'll restore the passage about our journalistic integrity in the old post.
Tweedle 1: Cool. I was really worried you might develop a conscience.
Tweedles: Great mirth.

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 12-13-2017 at 03:22 AM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote