Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-31-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yotaphone 3 announced

After the phone got scrapped last year, now it's taking a second shot.

From what I've heard there will be two versions of the phone, one with a 4.7 inch E paper screen and one with 5.2. Apparently it's coming later in september.

How much do you guys think will it cost ? I'm really looking forward to this unless it's going to cost as much as as the initial price of the YP 2 (700 dollars).

And I'm currently pondering over whether I should get the YP 2 or if I should I wait for this. Would strongly depend on the pricing of the new phone

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-Y...summer_id92734

https://www.iguides.ru/main/gadgets/...et_vypushchen/
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:01 AM   #2
davester
davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX, Yotaphone 2, iPhone7+, Dasung 13.3" HD-FT Monitor, iPad Pro
I own a YotaPhone2, which I used for a month until the device was accidentally placed in a cup filled with only an inch of coffee … where the LCD screen then stopped working. In that time, I came to the conclusion that having an eink phone “is not worth it”. 4.7″ is too small to read text from, unless you very-much increase the font size, where I’d then have to scroll every few seconds … which became a nuisance to my eyes and to my fingers. Eink has a fairly low contrast in ordinary light scenarios, which made it difficult to see what’s on the tiny 4.7″ screen a lot of the time. HOWEVER, when the device is out in the sunlight, it has a high contrast & I can certainly make out most everything, but I’m hardly using the phone during the direct sunlight above me. Even in direct sunlight, greens-and-reds have pretty much the same grey-scale color, so on the “often enough” times where i’ll use an app, or visit a webpage with these different-colors = similar grey-scales (on an eink screen) scenarios … it is difficult to see things.

When my YP2 died, I went out and got an IPhone7+ … which although it’s not e-ink, I am quite happy with it overall (although it does cause eye strain after extended use)
davester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd say it would depend on, beside the price naturally, also the other stats of the phone.
I have the YP2, but I don't use it as a phone, I mostly have it for its gadgedness (and a few apps which I cannot install on my real phone).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm not sure I'd want an unlighted e-ink display anymore. If it's lighted I'll be very interested. As for the 4.7" screen I read a lot of books on my 4.5" Moto G and a lot more years back on my 3" Palms. I don't have any issues with small screens. I was reading today on my 5.1" Galaxy S5.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:39 AM   #5
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just really wonder about the price. Honestly I hope it wont be more than 300 but I feel like that aint gonna happen
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 01:49 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm not sure I'd want an unlighted e-ink display anymore.
For situations where you need lit screen you turn the YotaPhone and use AMOLED screen. It even has the ambient light sensor.
Works perfectly as a *SECOND* reading device. The one you carry everywhere in your pocket, just in case you have 15 minutes to read.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:56 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd want an unlighted e-ink display anymore. ...
+1, as soon as I'm indoors, I want a light.

But I don't think I'd get one either way; if I'm on-the-go I'll use my phone, otherwise I like my 6" (size does matter).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
For situations where you need lit screen you turn the YotaPhone and use AMOLED screen. It even has the ambient light sensor.
Works perfectly as a *SECOND* reading device. The one you carry everywhere in your pocket, just in case you have 15 minutes to read.
I already do that with my Galaxy phone and it's AMOLED screen. It's way better than LCD but still I'm limited in how long a reading session can last before I get eyestrain. My limit on a good day with LCD is about 20 minutes. I can go twice that long with AMOLED but then I have to stop for a few minutes before I go on or I'm done reading for the day.

I spent a couple of months reading exclusively on my phone as a kind of test and I was able to do it and it really wasn't bad but I was glad to get back to my Paperwhite and Voyage.

The thing is, I like the screen size and I like Moon+ so if I could have a phone with an e-ink screen with a front light I'd probably stop using my Kindle.

One really good thing did come out of that little test though. I read a lot faster on a smaller screen and when I went back to my Kindle I tried using wider margins and that made a big difference. I'd always set the margins to narrow before without really thinking about it. I'm reading much faster now that I've increased the margins.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:09 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
The thing is, I like the screen size and I like Moon+ so if I could have a phone with an e-ink screen with a front light I'd probably stop using my Kindle.
Well, that I what I thought.
So I purchased Onyx Midia InkPhone E43.
It sits unused ever since I got YotaPhone.

InkPhone has a 4.3" front-lit e-ink screen. But it suffers from a very flaky software.

I will start using it again (as a second reader, of course) when I go camping or to the beach or to places where I do not want to bring my precious YotaPhone ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
After the phone got scrapped last year, now it's taking a second shot.

From what I've heard there will be two versions of the phone, one with a 4.7 inch E paper screen and one with 5.2. Apparently it's coming later in september.

How much do you guys think will it cost ? I'm really looking forward to this unless it's going to cost as much as as the initial price of the YP 2 (700 dollars).

And I'm currently pondering over whether I should get the YP 2 or if I should I wait for this. Would strongly depend on the pricing of the new phone

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-Y...summer_id92734

https://www.iguides.ru/main/gadgets/...et_vypushchen/
I can't tell you what the best decision is for your situation, but I plan to keep using my Yota 2 for another year or so, and then buy the Yota 3. I would be surprised if it was much cheaper than the Yota 2 at launch (probably a bit cheaper, like 5-600 USD). In a year the prices should start coming down a bit, and make it even better value.

Should you buy the Yotaphone 2 at this point? I think that depends on the price that you can get. It used to sell for as little as 120 USD on Aliexpress, I bought mine for 150. At that price, it was an absolute bargain. You can't even get a phone with the same specs (2GB RAM, full HD Amoled screen, Android 6) WITHOUT a second screen in Europe for that price. But now I can't find it on Aliexpress anymore, and it's selling for around 300 on Ebay, which is less of a bargain. So I think the decision depends on a) your budget, b) whether you need a larger screen, c) whether you need the latest specs. One possible (low-cost) strategy would be to buy the Yota 2, to use it for 2 years or so, and then sell it and buy the Yota 3 at a similarly low price.

I, for one, am very, very happy with the Yota 2. It still does everything I need (I would call myself a power user), and the e-ink screen is a pleasure to use outside, whether for reading, navigation, and everything else you can't do on a backlit screen when the sun is out.
I recently got a waterproof case (see photo) to use the phone on my bicycle (bike computer, navigation, music player), and the e-ink screen works perfectly for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BTWIN-Smart-Phone-Holder-300-SDL669246779-1-fd23f.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	157229  
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #11
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I can't tell you what the best decision is for your situation, but I plan to keep using my Yota 2 for another year or so, and then buy the Yota 3. I would be surprised if it was much cheaper than the Yota 2 at launch (probably a bit cheaper, like 5-600 USD). In a year the prices should start coming down a bit, and make it even better value.

Should you buy the Yotaphone 2 at this point? I think that depends on the price that you can get. It used to sell for as little as 120 USD on Aliexpress, I bought mine for 150. At that price, it was an absolute bargain. You can't even get a phone with the same specs (2GB RAM, full HD Amoled screen, Android 6) WITHOUT a second screen in Europe for that price. But now I can't find it on Aliexpress anymore, and it's selling for around 300 on Ebay, which is less of a bargain. So I think the decision depends on a) your budget, b) whether you need a larger screen, c) whether you need the latest specs. One possible (low-cost) strategy would be to buy the Yota 2, to use it for 2 years or so, and then sell it and buy the Yota 3 at a similarly low price.

I, for one, am very, very happy with the Yota 2. It still does everything I need (I would call myself a power user), and the e-ink screen is a pleasure to use outside, whether for reading, navigation, and everything else you can't do on a backlit screen when the sun is out.
I recently got a waterproof case (see photo) to use the phone on my bicycle (bike computer, navigation, music player), and the e-ink screen works perfectly for this.
Thanks for responding. Do you have the 206 or 201 version ? From what I've heard only the 201 version is capable of android 5.0.

Basically I want to use the E-Paper Display as my main display. Is that possible in your opinion ? I want to be able to surf the internet and use whatsapp. But I really dont know if I should wait or not.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:21 AM   #12
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
That's interesting. I've used my Yotaphone 2 several times for pushbike navigation and I ended up using the LED screen. I found the eInk side had too much blurring on movement and too little contrast between certain 'colours'. What navigation app are you using?

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #13
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Hi. I own a Yotaphone 2 and I find the eInk screen very ysefull. I hope they will come up with the 3rd version of it soon and cheaper than when they released the previous device (600-700 are crazy).

FOr the user who is asking about the android version compatibility just say to him that it doesn't matter the version do you have, if you want Marshmallow there you have to download the russian version of the firmware and flash to it
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:16 AM   #14
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
Thanks for responding. Do you have the 206 or 201 version ? From what I've heard only the 201 version is capable of android 5.0.

Basically I want to use the E-Paper Display as my main display. Is that possible in your opinion ? I want to be able to surf the internet and use whatsapp. But I really dont know if I should wait or not.
I have the 201 and it has Android 6 (Marshmallow).
I think the screen quality and OS integration are good, so surfing most sites (in landscape) and also Whatsapp are o.k. Some apps rely heavily on colours and these are unpleasant (or impossible) to use in b&w. The strength of this device is that you can move the content from one screen to the other with a single tap (there is a dedicated icon since Android 6). So the best approach in my view is to switch screens depending on the app, lighting conditions, and battery status.

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 04:25 AM   #15
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
That's interesting. I've used my Yotaphone 2 several times for pushbike navigation and I ended up using the LED screen. I found the eInk side had too much blurring on movement and too little contrast between certain 'colours'. What navigation app are you using?

Andrew
I agree that you lose a lot of info by not having colour in navigation, but ghosting was never a problem for me. I use Google Maps (also utilising voice guidance and next turn indication). I have also experimented with Yota Maps, which has very clear display but functionally weak at this point. It has a lot of promise so I plan to write to the developer.

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk