Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 09-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
cfink
cfink began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb Bookmarks/Current Location in a library sync'd with OneDrive

I use Calibre to sync a single library across multiple PC's by putting the library data and books in a OneDrive folder. This works extremely well for managing a library. There is an issue with bookmarks and current reading location I'd like to solve either by contributing some code, or better understanding where some data are stored.

Givens: Using the reader built into Calibre v2.37. Library stored in a directory sync'd by OneDrive (Windows). Book format is ePub.

Behavior: If I open a book on PC #1, I can save some bookmarks. When I go to PC #2 and open that book for the first time on PC #2, the bookmarks and the last location from PC #1 appear in the book when I open it. However, as soon as I add add'l bookmarks, and/or move to a different location in the book, the settings no longer seem to sync across the PC's. Rather these bookmarks/location are suddenly unique for each PC.

By inspecting the ePub data in the sync'd directory, on any PC (since the files are sync'd), I can see the calibre_bookmarks file, and the bookmarks/location data, from the last time I opened the book. However, on a PC other than the one on which I last viewed, these data seem to be ignored in favor of something else stored locally.

Assumption: There must be something stored on each workstation that overrides what's in the ePub file. Perhaps somewhere in the C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\calibre folder?

Goal: To either find, or create, functionality in Calibre to disable this local storage, so I my bookmarks/location are truly sync'd when I read across PC's using the Calibre reader.

Looking forward to thoughts/solutions!
cfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, bookmarks are loaded from a local storage preferentially. Simply sync that as well. Or make the paths to the libraries different, since the local storage is keyed by file path. IIRC the filename is iterator.pickle in the calibre config directory (Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open config directory)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
cfink

I think I understand the behavior now. You do recall correctly, the key file is iterator.pickle. This file does use the file location.

Am I right that Calibre copies the bookmarks into both the ePub file and the iterator.pickle file? It looks that way.

What I'd need is either:
- A way to turn off the local storage completely. My books sync, the bookmarks are embedded in the books, all good.
- A way to customize the location for local storage, so that I can specify a folder that syncs. As it stands now, I can't control the setting (unless I missed it in the interface), and on Windows I can't sync that location. I think this option would also require the ability to key on the file path relative to the library root.

Is there a way I could implement this via the pugin architecture?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Set the environment variable "CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY" to next to the library directory, and include it in your OneDrive sync.

This works similar to calibre-portable.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ment-variables
Advert
Old 10-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
cfink

Most awesome!

For future reference, I had to relocate OneDrive to a directory that will be common on any future workstation. I.e., not dependent on the user name. Otherwise, this works great.

So, I am still willing to put my development skills to work since they are not needed for this feature.

How about I help with an annotation feature?
Old 10-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You are welcome to contribute to calibre development. I dont have any immediate plans to work on annotations, I am currently working on a re-write of the calibre content server -- as part of that re-write the content server will gain the ability to read books directly in the browser. Annotations are likely to come sometime after that, since they can then be developed for both calirbe reders -- the content server one and the desktop viewer together.

My general policy on contributions is to encourage people to work on whatever is of interest to them personally, and I am always available to provide guidance, if needed.

Tags
bookmarks, development