Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 01:09 AM   #31
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by audeojude View Post
Yep plenty of ports. I have been keeping the whole library on only one drive though for ease of use and backup. Have a 1tb ssd right now. Maybe another 4 months before it is full. I could probably delete a bunch of stuff off to give me more time but the amount of effort needed to do that is not going to be fun. Would rather just buy a larger drive. Sadly I don't have the money at this time to pop for a 2tb ssd. So I was wondering about a sshd. I might do it just to find out and measure the differences. Going from a standard drive i saw major reductions in time for searches, as well as adding books, metadata changes in bulk. I hate to give much of that up. Conversions I'm not so worried about as I think as spoken of here that it is more cpu bound and though fast im still only pushing a 2.5 ghz xeon

Sigh just took a moment to look at upgrading my cpu and it isn't worth it.. E5 1265 vs3 2.5 ghz cpu is only about 10% behind performance of a i7 3770 which is the fastest cpu that will go in my mother board that I can tell. Price is to much still to bother for only a 10% cpu gain. im pushing 8000ish cpu marks so can't complain for 5 year old computer. It's funny but It would cost me more now to build the same computer. Ram is higher, used cpu of the model I have is more than I spent on it new. hard drives are pretty much the only thing cheaper than then for the same item.
Hmm, how about RAID-0 with another 1TB SSD (albeit be extra vigilant with backup and replication)?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #32
audeojude
Enthusiast
audeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Hmm, how about RAID-0 with another 1TB SSD (albeit be extra vigilant with backup and replication)?
That is an excellent point... I might end up doing that but in general I really don't like raid 0 arrays at all. I actually have a fast pcie raid 0 on my system across 4 25gig chips running at almost 1000megs a second I use for video editing and conversions etc.. but I never leave anything on it. You have doubled your chance of data loss.

My current backup strategy is pretty lame given that I am an IT professional. I simply rsync my data manually every week or two to external hard drives stored in a safe.

I have been looking at a network backup using Urbackup. I install and support it for clients. Absolutely stellar open source backup solution. but right now my redundancy isn't where it should be much less using a raid 0.

I keep cruising ebay for a used data server or NAS I can afford with 15 to 24 TB of redundant space on it. lol. maybe i will find that deal soon.

Performance and simplicity come at a price and right now im having problems affording that. It's totally doable if I go to a much more complicated solution with less performance. That's kinda what I'm doing right now with most of it and I'm really tired of it.

edited march 2018 to change raid 1 to raid 0.. Everywhere I had said raid 1 I meant raid 0
also though not for my books I had both a backup drive and then the main drive the data was used from fail with full loss of all data the other day... I could have fixed it but was trying to buy a larger hard drive rather than just replace the smaller one that died. I put it off because of lack of money. Just the time invested in the lost data was priceless. Don't do as I did.

Last edited by audeojude; 03-27-2018 at 02:29 PM.
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #33
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Yeah, I wouldn't trust RAID-0 to be sole repository of data even for just a day.

My backup's pretty crude, too. Dropbox is pretty much my only offsite backup and is installed/replicated on two laptops and two desktops. Locally, scheduled nightly FreeFileSync with versioning to external HDD and NAS.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote