Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
DownUnderReader
DownUnderReader began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
AirDrop to iOS 11.2.1

Hello All,
I am a newbie, so apologies for any mis-steps...
I have an iPad recently updated to iOS 11.2.1.
When I try to AirDrop ePub format books to it, the iPad no longer allows me to select which eReader App the books should go to - it just defaults them to iBooks. Obviously I can still load through iTunes file sharing to e.g. BlueFire, however I wondered if anyone knew how to get the iPad to once again allow me to select which App receives the AirDropped books?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer
ReaderDownUnder
DownUnderReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
This showed up with 11.2 and was mentioned on that thread. There are many workarounds (use cloud service etc) but no true solution. Bluefire has Dropbox support for example.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
DownUnderReader
DownUnderReader began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thank you
DownUnderReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
AirDrop Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderReader View Post
Hello All,
I am a newbie, so apologies for any mis-steps...
I have an iPad recently updated to iOS 11.2.1.
When I try to AirDrop ePub format books to it, the iPad no longer allows me to select which eReader App the books should go to - it just defaults them to iBooks. Obviously I can still load through iTunes file sharing to e.g. BlueFire, however I wondered if anyone knew how to get the iPad to once again allow me to select which App receives the AirDropped books?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer
ReaderDownUnder

When I try to transfer an EPUB file from my Mac to my iPhone running iOS 11.2.1 via AirDrop, the following dialog shows up on my iPhone:

------------------------------
Restore "iBooks"?
You followed a link that requires the app "iBooks", which is no longer on your iPhone. You can restore it from the App Store.
[Show in App Store]
[Cancel]
------------------------------

The "restore" part is not surprising, as I have indeed deleted iBooks from my iPhone, and I have installed many alternative EPUB reader apps. Before iOS 11.2, I would have been offered a choice to open the EPUB file in all compatible apps. What is a little bit surprising is that Apple has now resorted to a demeaning approach to give preferential treatment of iBooks to the exclusion of all other apps. This not-so-subtle agenda of Apple is clear, if you further consider that PDF transferred via AirDrop can still be opened in all compatible apps, and Apple doesn't sell books in PDF format.

Fortunately, there are many ways to workaround. Other than cloud-based solution others have talked about, my most favorite solution is "PC Upload" (via Wi-Fi) of MapleRead. You enter a URL into a web browser, and then drop one or multiple files to a box-like area on the webpage. Done. Sounds pretty like the way AirDrop works, right?

Unfortunately, this AirDrop-like solution is not available in other popular apps discussed in this forum.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote