Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2022, 05:35 AM   #76
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Do you have peer-reviewed studies demonstrating that unjustified text promotes faster reading speed in samples that are representative of the general reading population?
The research is mixed and contradictory. It's basically a matter of personal preference.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:38 AM   #77
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you all.

So for hyphens I should add the hyphenation patch to the list and after all is installed, I should install the dictionary. These steps in the same order will need to be repeated after any firmware update.

Is there anything that I should change regarding hyphen in the KTE driver or can I leave it as default?

Any other tip or important patch that I should be aware of?

I can’t thank you enough.
My
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #78
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
HUH??? The patcher produced KoboRoot.tgz installs a small subset of the files installed by a full firmware update. Unless you've managed to hide the dictionary inside one of libadobe.so, libnickel.so.1.0.0, librmsdk.so.1.0.0 or nickel, none of the other files in the system area are touched.
I guess I just wind up reinstalling it after patching is because I only apply patches when there is a firmware update. So in my mind, the steps all go together.

Also, since you do have to include the firmware in the patch SRC folder, I thought it was re-installing firmware.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:02 PM   #79
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I guess I just wind up reinstalling it after patching is because I only apply patches when there is a firmware update. So in my mind, the steps all go together.

Also, since you do have to include the firmware in the patch SRC folder, I thought it was re-installing firmware.
It needs the original firmware for access to the files that will be patched but the file that lands in the Out directory has only the 4 files mentioned in in plus any files that you add in as part of the patching process which is where you could add any sideloaded dictionaries/hyphenation dictionaries/etc.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:08 PM   #80
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It needs the original firmware for access to the files that will be patched but the file that lands in the Out directory has only the 4 files mentioned in in plus any files that you add in as part of the patching process which is where you could add any sideloaded dictionaries/hyphenation dictionaries/etc.
But installing new firmware (say 4.33 to 4.34) does overwrite the hyphenation dictionary, right?
Advert
Old 10-06-2022, 01:35 PM   #81
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Well...

I tried to side load a EPUB to try it before install patches and I can't set neither the justification nor the line spacing. Besides that, the Libra 2 runs slower. Not in page turns though but when you try to change the Aa settings, checking the dictionary or highlighting text.

What am I missing?

EDIT: I tried two different books with the same result.
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 02:33 PM   #82
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
Well...

I tried to side load a EPUB to try it before install patches and I can't set neither the justification nor the line spacing. Besides that, the Libra 2 runs slower. Not in page turns though but when you try to change the Aa settings, checking the dictionary or highlighting text.

What am I missing?

If the epub has text-align: justify;, your Kobo using the RMSDK renderer will not override it. Much the same as the margin slider will increase the margins but not reduce them below what the epub is set to use. Much the same for the line height. One reason why I remove text-align, line-height, etc. for body or basic paragraph material while leaving it for special items.

There have been quite a few semi-religious arguments over whether or not Kobo should respect the styles set in the epub.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #83
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
Well...

What am I missing?

Epubs are slower than kepubs and always have been.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:15 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I think you have to enable the Set KePub hyphenation patch in order for the better hyphenation dictionary to work at all.

In the Better Hyphenation thread I have some posts about the dictionary seeming not to work. It worked once I enabled the Set KePub hyphenation patch.

You have to install the patches before you install the dictionary. Installing the patches installs a new firmware and will overwrite the dictionary.
Yes you do have to have hyphenation on for KePub. You can do that in the KTE driver. There are options for hyphenation. So you do not need to patch to turn on hyphens. I'm not fully sure, but given the config file option to turn on kerning, ligatures, and hyphens, the patch for KePub hyphens may not be needed any longer.

I have the patches set to install the hyphenation dictionary so when I patch, the dictionary also gets installed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But installing new firmware (say 4.33 to 4.34) does overwrite the hyphenation dictionary, right?
Yes it does overwrite the hyphenation dictionary because that's a full firmware update. The patches only install a subset of the firmware. But if you configure the patcher to install the hyphenation dictionary, you don't haver to remember to do it. Before I did that, I did sometimes to forget to reinstall the hyphenation dictionary until I was reading and noticed.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:22 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If the epub has text-align: justify;, your Kobo using the RMSDK renderer will not override it. Much the same as the margin slider will increase the margins but not reduce them below what the epub is set to use. Much the same for the line height. One reason why I remove text-align, line-height, etc. for body or basic paragraph material while leaving it for special items.

There have been quite a few semi-religious arguments over whether or not Kobo should respect the styles set in the epub.
I think Kobo should have an option to override or not. Some eBooks have too large a line-height and some have too large L/R margins.

But given that there can be other things I don't like in the formatting, it's better to just fix it all.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:24 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Epubs are slower than kepubs and always have been.
The speed is not all that noticeable when you have kerning, ligatures, and hyphens turned on for KePub. Plus, ePub has gotten faster then it used to be.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #88
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think Kobo should have an option to override or not. Some eBooks have too large a line-height and some have too large L/R margins.

But given that there can be other things I don't like in the formatting, it's better to just fix it all.
I also fix it all, but there is a patch for overriding line-height (don't remember if there is one for margins too or not).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #89
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I also fix it all, but there is a patch for overriding line-height (don't remember if there is one for margins too or not).
Yes, there is
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:38 PM   #90
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes you do have to have hyphenation on for KePub.
I didn't understand much after this.

Quote:
You can do that in the KTE driver. There are options for hyphenation. So you do not need to patch to turn on hyphens.
What's the KTE driver? How would you use it to enable kepub hyphenation?

Quote:
I'm not fully sure, but given the config file option to turn on kerning, ligatures, and hyphens, the patch for KePub hyphens may not be needed any longer.
What option turns on hyphens? I know about Optimize Speed, Optimize Legibility and Word Spacing. But none of those add hyphenation, do they? Or is there something else I am unaware of?