Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2022, 11:04 PM   #91
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What's the KTE driver? How would you use it to enable kepub hyphenation?
KTE is the KoboTouchExtended driver. One of it's options is to hyphenate files. See the attached image for that page of it's customization (the only one that is different from the KoboTouch driver).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KTE_page_4.png
Views:	72
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	197025  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:16 AM   #92
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If the epub has text-align: justify;, your Kobo using the RMSDK renderer will not override it. Much the same as the margin slider will increase the margins but not reduce them below what the epub is set to use. Much the same for the line height. One reason why I remove text-align, line-height, etc. for body or basic paragraph material while leaving it for special items.

There have been quite a few semi-religious arguments over whether or not Kobo should respect the styles set in the epub.
And there is some easy way to change that behaviour without editing the book?
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:54 AM   #93
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
Yes - Use KOReader. And no, it won't void your warranty anymore than any of the patches discussed here will.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:23 AM   #94
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
KTE is the KoboTouchExtended driver. One of it's options is to hyphenate files. See the attached image for that page of it's customization (the only one that is different from the KoboTouch driver).
Doh! I have KoboTouchExtended, I'm just not hip with the acronyms. I work with the government and have had it up to here with acronyms!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #95
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
No easy way that I know of other than an old utility that will remove all stylesheets from an ePub. Something about tossing the baby out with the bathwater comes to mind.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 04:22 PM   #96
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your help!

It seems that both formats (or better said, both readers) have their compromises.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:18 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you for your help!

It seems that both formats (or better said, both readers) have their compromises.
That is correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:57 PM   #98
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur

Well. I have to thank all of you guys.

With the better dictionary for the hyphens, the better spacing and the optimizeLegibility...the difference is day and night. With these three settings combine, it looks much better now.

The only downside I have seen so far is that now I have hyphens on left aligned text (the second option on the [Aa] menu) and I feel that it kinds breaks the purpose of the ragged right text, though the edges looks more balanced now.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:50 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well. I have to thank all of you guys.

With the better dictionary for the hyphens, the better spacing and the optimizeLegibility...the difference is day and night. With these three settings combine, it looks much better now.

The only downside I have seen so far is that now I have hyphens on left aligned text (the second option on the [Aa] menu) and I feel that it kinds breaks the purpose of the ragged right text, though the edges looks more balanced now.
I suggest you try fully justified and see what you think with the new setup.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:43 AM   #100
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Really interesting post. Why not using KOReader? For me the main advantage is I can sync all the info including reading stats which are amazing among the different devices with different technologies I use to read and I can tweak nearly everything. Is it using kepub format that crucial? Just curious.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:42 AM   #101
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you try fully justified and see what you think with the new setup.
With justification turned on (or off to use the book setting if it is justified, the setting I use to respect the chapter header alignment) in the [Aa] menu, it looks awesome.

Old 10-09-2022, 05:43 AM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
With justification turned on (or off to use the book setting if it is justified, the setting I use to respect the chapter header alignment) in the [Aa] menu, it looks awesome.

The think you may want to be careful of is what font you use. Some fonts do not work in KePub with the spacing patch. They display, but they do not look good. Slab serif type fonts such a Bookerly do not look good. Rakuten Serif also does not look good. Some others do look good such as ChareInk and Georgia.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-09-2022 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:17 AM   #103
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur

Are you sure? At least with the 0.05em both look good to my eyes.

Maybe you have set a narrower value?
Old 10-09-2022, 07:26 AM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Are you sure? At least with the 0.05em both look good to my eyes.

Maybe you have set a narrower value?
I do. I've set it to -0.07em. It looks better with fonts such as ChareInk and Georgia.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:53 AM   #105
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur

So that could cause other fonts look worse, right? Again, it’s a compromise. I kinda like Bookerly so I will stick with 0.05 for a while.