Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
gussy
gussy began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note 10
Question Calibre Book Limit

Is there a limit on how many books Calibre can handle? I'm getting close to 150K.
gussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Theoretically, the maximum amount of books the database can hold is a ridiculously high number with a lot of digits. Functionally, it's limited by your RAM and storage space. Use 64-bit if you have a big library.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2021, 02:00 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
For what it's worth, a SQLite data base can have up to 4,294,967,294 (2^32-2) pages with a maximum page size of 65536 bytes. Unless you happen to have a couple of spare 256TB (counting in 1024s, disk manufacturers love counting in 1000s so ~281TB) disks kicking around, you are likely to run out of disk space to store your ebooks long before calibre runs out of available entries in it's database.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
The practical limit is what you can read in a lifetime, assuming you are human.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
assuming you are human.
Considering I keep failing CAPTCHAs, i'm not 100% sure on that...
Advert
Old 04-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
I mean, judging from your profile picture, you're a cat.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Wizard

No, I'm owned by cats.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #8
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
I wonder who the cats think you are? Perhaps you should ask them?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:00 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussy View Post
Is there a limit on how many books Calibre can handle? I'm getting close to 150K.
Wow. I've been buying ebooks since 2002, and I have (just) less than 5000 books in my calibre database. How do you find the time to get their metadata correct?

But to answer your question, I think the programatic limit will be at least a couple of orders of magnitude higher than your current total.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #10
ownedbycats
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Wow. I've been buying ebooks since 2002, and I have (just) less than 5000 books in my calibre database. How do you find the time to get their metadata correct?
"Just not bothering" is an option, though some people (cough) seem to be physically incapable of it.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
"Just not bothering" is an option, though some people (cough) seem to be physically incapable of it.
But if the metadata is wrong, how can you know what you have?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But if the metadata is wrong, how can you know what you have?
If you delete the books that you're unlikely to ever read or reference again you don't need to know.

In the past of course one could have given them away, taken them to a second hand bookshop, offered them on AbeBooks, or left them on a bus, park bench etc. Now we horde countless copies of non-fungible so-called digital-assets. Well not quite non-fungible, if one deletes them one can at least reuse the bits they occupied. Which is not unlike keeping the dust that gathers on dead tree books before you give them away…

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:39 PM   #13
ownedbycats
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
In the past of course one would given them away, taken them to a second hand bookshop, offered them on AbeBooks, or left them on a bus, park bench etc.
I remember trading in books at the two used bookstores in town. Then one of them closed down and the other one burned down. That (and the slow deterioration of my motor skills) accelerated my switch to digital books.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-25-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I remember trading in books at the two used bookstores in town. Then one of them closed down and the other one burned down. That (and the slow deterioration of my motor skills) accelerated my switch to digital books.
Just pet one of your cats to hear that motor.
(Had a cat with a second name: Miss Diesel .You could hear that rumble across the room )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
They're still going here - I can walk to two, and twenty minutes away on the bus are another three. The area I live in is the nearest we have to Berkeley or Greenwich Village - you'd probably be hard pressed to find a bookshop of any kind in the 'burbs.

Sadly Gould's Books Arcade is not what it was, on line order from a warehouse and pick up from small shop; the catalogue of what they had/have is not even 10% complete. Bob Gould died when he fell down the stairs after stacking books on the mezzanine floor of the original premises. His daughter and ex-wife carried on and the landlord kept the rent fixed at what became almost a peppercorn level. But eventually even that became unaffordable as they were swamped by torrents of Abbyyed and Tesseracted scans.

The old arcade had elevated pathways for Bob's cat:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4032.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	186785

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote