Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #1216
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I got the downloaded temp file for the 1.31 update on my Mac today and the annoying pop-up. I previously deleted the Updates folder in my Kindle app, and replaced it with an empty text file named 'Updates' which blocked the updates. Despite telling Kindle to 'skip this version', the temp_%1%2 file still downloads and I keep getting the pop-up, and on one occasion it created a new updates folder containing the dmg. Does anyone know a way to block changes in the Kindle folder (preferably blocking the temp_%1%2 file from downloading or creating the empty update folder and making it read only)?

I'm currently running High Sierra 10.13.6 (I still haven't reinstalled Mojave).
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:42 PM   #1217
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I got the downloaded temp file for the 1.31 update on my Mac today and the annoying pop-up. I previously deleted the Updates folder in my Kindle app, and replaced it with an empty text file named 'Updates' which blocked the updates. Despite telling Kindle to 'skip this version', the temp_%1%2 file still downloads and I keep getting the pop-up, and on one occasion it created a new updates folder containing the dmg. Does anyone know a way to block changes in the Kindle folder (preferably blocking the temp_%1%2 file from downloading or creating the empty update folder and making it read only)?

I'm currently running High Sierra 10.13.6 (I still haven't reinstalled Mojave).
Everything in your post sounds normal to me except for when a new updates folder containing the dmg was created. (My updates folder is all lower case — "updates" rather than "Updates".)

chmod -w will make the "updates" folder read-only. This prevents the temp_%1%2 file from being copied into the updates folder as a .dmg, thereby thwarting the auto-update process. I don't know of a way to prevent the temp_%1%2 file from downloading in the first place.

Every time I launch K4Mac, a pop-up asks if I want to upgrade, and I choose "no".
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2021, 01:22 AM   #1218
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
(My updates folder is all lower case — "updates" rather than "Updates".)
Sorry, typing while tired - yes, the text file is named 'updates' not 'Updates'. My mistake.

I'll have to try chmod -w - I think I managed that on the old iMac (the one on Mountain Lion), but never bothered on the MacBook Pro.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote