Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Modifying Kobo collection column while device is plugged in

I use the Reading List plugin to add/remove "Reading List" to my #kobocoll column, which populates my Kobo collections with KoboTouchExtended.

If I swap out books on my lists before connecting the device, this works as expected and the collections change.

However, changing a book while the device is connected doesn't seem to change the collections on the device until I re-connect.

I use automatic metadata management. Did I make a mistake?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-04-2021 at 03:06 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I don't think you made a mistake; as far as I know the metadata management happens when the device is initially detected by calibre.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there a way to tell Calibre to manually re-upload the metadata?
Old 05-04-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
chaley
Grumpy old git
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Reader
Try clicking on the down-arrow on the device icon and selecting "Update cached metadata on device". This starts a metadata sync process, and *I think* it will update books on the device if that is what the normal process does.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Is there a way to tell Calibre to manually re-upload the metadata?
You could ask davidfor to add that to the metadata upload section of Kobo Utilities.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:52 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Try clicking on the down-arrow on the device icon and selecting "Update cached metadata on device". This starts a metadata sync process, and *I think* it will update books on the device if that is what the normal process does.
Yes, that should work. The collection management and metadata updates are done by the "Sending metadata to devices" job. But, it will not help for newly sent books. They have to be processed by the device and in the database.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:19 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Wizard

Update cached metadata worked.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Wizard

A new question:

I borrowed a book from Overdrive and used Adobe Digital Editions to load it onto my Kobo. Then I created a book record for it in Calibre and matched it and put "Loans" in #kobocoll. the matching works; the metadata got updated and it's fetching my Kobo bookmarks. But for some reason #kobocoll won't change the collections.

What did I do wrong this time? The only thing I can think of different from other books (sideloaded or not-sideloaded) is that for library book I only have a dummy .OVERDRIVE file rather than an actual ePub file in Calibre, but I can't see how that matters if it's matched.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-05-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #9
ownedbycats
Wizard

While plugged in:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-05-05 16_25_05-Window.png
Views:	11
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	186953

But after disconnecting:

Click image for larger version

Name:	emptyloans.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	186954

Old 05-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
While plugged in:

Attachment 186953
That doesn't really say anything about what is on the device. That is what is in your library. You need to look at the device list and see what is under the collections column for the book.
Quote:
But after disconnecting:

Attachment 186954

I don't know what has happened. It should set the collections even when there is not format. I have just tested this with no problems.

Did the "Loans" collection already exist on the device? Is it in the ignore collections setting of the driver? Is there a change after another connection?

If you it doesn't appear, run calibre in debug mode and post the log. I should be able to see what is happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:32 PM   #11
ownedbycats
Wizard

Oh, I put Loans in "ignore collections" to prevent it getting deleted when there weren't any books in there.

I'll remove it. Actually now that I have the square-brackets trick to prevent my "send to device" showing up at all I can just disable "delete empty collections" entirely.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-06-2021 at 12:03 AM.