Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #28051
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yesterday I read "The Cross-time Engineer" by Leo Frankowski, which comprises the first third of the Baen "Conrad Starguard" omnibus that I bought in 2004. A very enjoyable time travel romp about a young engineer accidentally transported back to 13th century Poland, and his attempts to kick-start an early industrial revolution to hold off the Mongol invasion he knows will be coming in a few years' time. Extremely enjoyable.
Thanks for the tip, sounds intriguing - added to my tbr. Seeing as how you're also a fan of Lee Child and Dick/Felix Francis, I'm thinking it's worth a go.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #28052
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks for the tip, sounds intriguing - added to my tbr. Seeing as how you're also a fan of Lee Child and Dick/Felix Francis, I'm thinking it's worth a go.
The series of 6 books is split between two Baen omnibus editions:

Conrad Stargard: The Radiant Warrior (Books 1-3)
Conrad's Lady (Books 4-6)

There's also a prequel to the series called "Conrad's Time Machine", but I'd suggest reading the other books before this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #28053
jackjones02
jackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: amazon kindle paperwhite
The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History. The most powerful and persuasive presentation EVER of the true import of climate change. Kolbert has a remarkable ability to draw together mounds of scientific evidence and assemble it in a compelling story without compromising factual accuracy. There is no way to read this book without being changed unless you are blinded by a reactionary ideology or are willing to ignore scientific evidence.

Last edited by issybird; 02-10-2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Remove blog link.
jackjones02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #28054
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 4 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Quote:

There's also a prequel to the series called "Conrad's Time Machine", but I'd suggest reading the other books before this.
I first read and reread them in paper and really enjoyed them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #28055
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Working through Naoki Urasawa x Macoto Tezuka's fantasic Pluto series.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:29 AM   #28056
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2 v2
Finished Pandora's Star, now starting Judas Unchained. I'm guessing they're called space operas because they take longer to read than watching the entire Ring Cycle.
stuartjmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:19 AM   #28057
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Since I was here last:

Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde. This is the second of the Thursday Next books. It was undoubtedly very clever - the many literary references and the entanglements of time and coincidence and characters from many different stories and the previous novel and so on - but a bit too messy for too long for my tastes. That it left so many strands open for the next books did not help. Still an okay read, but it didn't measure up to the first. 3/5.

A Delicate Truth by John le Carré. Reminded me why I like film adaptations of le Carré books. More in the New Leaf Book Club discussion when it starts.

The Cecelia and Kate trilogy: Sorcery & Cecelia then The Grand Tour and finally The Mislaid Magician by Patricia Collins Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. These are YA historical romance/fantasy epistolary novels that I picked up after seeing positive comments about them on this forum. The first in particular was very good fun, like reading Pride and Prejudice with a touch of magic. (Okay, so the language is not that sophisticated, this is YA, but) Very well done and a firm 4/5. The second was good, but it felt a little slow. Somewhere around 3.5/5. It was still enough fun that I jumped straight into the third book, set 10 years after the first two. Despite what seemed a slightly awkward plot, overly explained at the end, I had fun with this last book too. It lacked the novelty value of the first but I'm still giving it 4/5.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:30 AM   #28058
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The Cecelia and Kate trilogy: Sorcery & Cecelia then The Grand Tour and finally The Mislaid Magician by Patricia Collins Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. These are YA historical romance/fantasy epistolary novels that I picked up after seeing positive comments about them on this forum. The first in particular was very good fun, like reading Pride and Prejudice with a touch of magic. (Okay, so the language is not that sophisticated, this is YA, but) Very well done and a firm 4/5. The second was good, but it felt a little slow. Somewhere around 3.5/5. It was still enough fun that I jumped straight into the third book, set 10 years after the first two. Despite what seemed a slightly awkward plot, overly explained at the end, I had fun with this last book too. It lacked the novelty value of the first but I'm still giving it 4/5.
I wonder if it was my recommendation? If so, I'm glad you liked them too.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #28059
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I wonder if it was my recommendation? If so, I'm glad you liked them too.
Yes, yours was certainly one of the comments I took notice of. It is greatly appreciated that you leave your reactions in addition to saying what you're reading. I've picked up a lot of good books this way.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #28060
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
But I'm going to start with the just-purchased new Novella from Lois McMaster Bujold: Knife's Children, set in her Sharing Knife universe. Normally I just ad a book to my watch list, but her self-published stuff doesn't go on offer, so I might as well buy and read in now.
And very good it was too. Most enjoyable, and highly recommended. It will, of course, be much better to have read the previous books before approaching this one, but I think that it would be possible to read and enjoy it even if you haven't.

And then I read something completely different: Paddington's Finest Hour by Michael Bond.

Well, it might have been Paddington's Finest Hour, but it wasn't Mr Bond's. I did like the title story, but the references in many of the stories to earlier stories didn't work for me. One seemed very much a re-working of an earlier story to do with saws and table legs. And Mr Curry seems to have become positively nasty rather than merely misanthropic.

I'm glad that the others I've got are from earlier.

Next up: Galaxy's Edge Magazine #1, edited by Mike Resnick.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #28061
Ralph Sir Edward
Gentleman & Cynic
Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook/Openinkpot, CYbook 3rd gen awaiting RTF software upgrade
Plant catalogs. (It's that time of year!)
Ralph Sir Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #28062
PurpleStar
Guru
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I finished Shattered at Sea by Cheryl Hollon. Just a light cozy mystery. Next up is In a Cottage in a Wood by Cass Green. Hopefully a bit more exciting mystery/thriller.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #28063
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "Revelation Space, by Alastair Reynolds. The first book of his that I've read, and a very enjoyable example of hard SF "space opera" on an epic scale.

Amazon description:

Quote:
Nine hundred thousand years ago, something wiped out the Amarantin. For the human colonists now settling the Amarantin homeworld Resurgam, it's of little more than academic interest, even after the discovery of a long-hidden, almost perfect Amarantin city and a colossal statue of a winged Amarantin. For brilliant but ruthless scientist Dan Sylveste, it's more than merelty intellectual curiosity - and he will stop at nothing to get at the truth. Even if the truth costs him everything. But the Amarantin were wiped out for a reason, and that danger is closer and greater than even Syveste imagines ...
Highly recommended. My only complaint is the rather lax editing of the book. Numerous typos, and in several places the protagonist "Dan" becomes "Don".

Last edited by HarryT; 02-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #28064
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite, Oasis, Voyage, original Paperwhite, Fire HD 8
Quote:
But I'm going to start with the just-purchased new Novella from Lois McMaster Bujold: Knife's Children, set in her Sharing Knife universe. Normally I just ad a book to my watch list, but her self-published stuff doesn't go on offer, so I might as well buy and read in now.
Quote:
And very good it was too. Most enjoyable, and highly recommended. It will, of course, be much better to have read the previous books before approaching this one, but I think that it would be possible to read and enjoy it even if you haven't.
Oh, good. I loved the original series, so I was hoping this would be as good. Pushed right to the top of my TBR.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #28065
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I first read and reread them in paper and really enjoyed them.
Apache
Okay, that's two of you who have similar reading tastes to myself, so I'll definitely give them a go.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote