Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #46
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
George R. R. Martin still uses Wordstar.
Who's George R.R. Martin?

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #47
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yep. Fountain pens. Mostly used by artists now, however. Some of them are really expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=fountain+pen
Many years ago when I was in high school I went through a phase of using fountain pens (or cartridge pens). Even then it was odd not to use a ballpoint pen.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #48
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Who's George R.R. Martin?

Some guy that keeps leading his readers on.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #49
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I did some last minute tweaking of what I came up with last evening. Canva allows 24 hrs for any tweaking before the image is set. Which isn't bad really. Anyway I came up with the image below as a possible final cover image. Not perfect but I think it looks pretty good.
I like it a lot, crich. It's open and bright. Just the kind of thing you want for that kind of book. Nice job! (I like the title too.)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #50
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I think the majority prefer the typewriter. I especially like the first one.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I think the majority prefer the typewriter. I especially like the first one.
I prefer a word processor. The typewriter is a bit obsolete these days when writing a book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #52
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I believe (my opinion only!) a typewriter is still considered the archetype of a writer's tools, along with a pen/pencil. Even if the writer no longer uses them, the image calls to mind an author busy at his desk, creating the next #1 seller.

For me, the thought of a word processor brings to mind an office worker. I think this is because the typewriter has more than a century of history behind it, and the word processor only a few decades.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 01-11-2018 at 10:30 PM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 AM   #53
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
That's it exactly, GrannyGrump.

Lots of things work that way. One of the most common symbols for a "Options" in a computer program is a cog - WTH? For saving they often do a bit better - a diskette! And look at the image used on the Calibre website - paper books! Even our e-readers offer to let you "swipe" to turn the "page".

Besides, what is the best symbol or image for a word processor? Many word processor programs use a symbol for a piece of paper as a their icon and/or logo. So is the symbol for word processor a photo of a photo of a piece of paper?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:13 AM   #54
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
For that matter, how very often we see a QUILL PEN used as an indicator of the writing process! Quill pens have been out of use for nearly 200 years...
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:28 AM   #55
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Many years ago when I was in high school I went through a phase of using fountain pens (or cartridge pens). Even then it was odd not to use a ballpoint pen.
I don't if it was odd or not to use fountain pens in the mid-60s, but I know that's mostly what I used. Just the cheap, transparent Sheaffer, medium "point" (nib?) "student" pen. I usually used blue ink. I don't think the tinted pen colors came in until later.

The picture has newer packaging then the pens I bought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shaeffer2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	161449  

Last edited by rcentros; 01-12-2018 at 03:34 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
When we were first allowed to use ink (rather than a pencil) in elementary school, it had to be either a cartridge or a fountain pen. No ballpoint permitted! And ink was a privilege that had to be earned through the quality of your handwriting, what we called script back in those antediluvian days.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #57
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't if it was odd or not to use fountain pens in the mid-60s, but I know that's mostly what I used. Just the cheap, transparent Sheaffer, medium "point" (nib?) "student" pen. I usually used blue ink. I don't think the tinted pen colors came in until later.

The picture has newer packaging then the pens I bought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
When we were first allowed to use ink (rather than a pencil) in elementary school, it had to be either a cartridge or a fountain pen. No ballpoint permitted! And ink was a privilege that had to be earned through the quality of your handwriting, what we called script back in those antediluvian days.
Ball-points were the usual thing in my school, with the fountain pens frowned on because of mess--after my fountain-pen phase I remember using the Parker T-Ball Jotter, then switched over to felt-tip pens (purple, when they let me).

My Palmer-method script was so nice that I was always being assigned to write on the blackboard.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I see a typewriter, I don't think of someone writing a book, I think of someone filling out a carbon copy form.

When I see a word processor, I do think of a book being written more so than with a typewriter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #59
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When I see a typewriter, I don't think of someone writing a book, I think of someone filling out a carbon copy form.
You must be younger than me. When I think of a word processor, I usually think of typewriter-like device ... like the one below. Or a blue screen with yellow letters using either WordStar or WordPerfect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	smithcorona.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	161473  
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:34 AM   #60
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I believe (my opinion only!) a typewriter is still considered the archetype of a writer's tools, along with a pen/pencil. Even if the writer no longer uses them, the image calls to mind an author busy at his desk, creating the next #1 seller.

For me, the thought of a word processor brings to mind an office worker. I think this is because the typewriter has more than a century of history behind it, and the word processor only a few decades.

I share your opinion about typewriters. And actor Tom Hanks must share that opinion, as well, in that it has a rich history and revives a way to communicate in a more intimate and loving manner, especially after a letter is mailed.

(If anyone replies, please only discuss the cover as it relates to this issue/question. Anything else will be deleted.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DearMisterKnopf.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	986.0 KB
ID:	161484  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-13-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote