Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
maurices5000
Connoisseur
maurices5000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Can't Edit MOBI Titles - Losing LOVE for Calibre

Calibre is a powerful tool. I love it. Its amazing and it gets better with each release. But it does not support a simple task as editing the title of a MOBI ebook as it displays in on screen.

I get numerous MOBI ebooks as periodicals. I don't want to lose the formatting. But converting MOBI to MOBI changes the book. All i want to do is change the title of the book and the file name.

Changing the name will allow me to order my periodicals in a way that is easy to select it by month, year, and issue.

This simple task is not possible or is not found.

Thanks! I'm currently looking for a new tool. I hope i find one. I've used Calibre for years. I really just can't believe this feature is not available on Calibre.
maurices5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
How are you getting the book to the Kindle? If you are using Calibre to send the book then the name on the Kindle should match the name in Calibre. If you are copying using OS level facilities then that might explain what you are seeing as simply changing the name in Calibre does not affect the file on disk in the Calibre library, it merely updates the information stored in the Calibre database.

If you want to update the embedded metadata without doing a conversion use the Polish Books feature after changing the name in Calibre.

You can also use metadata-plugboards to do much fancier alterations of the title/author during the process of sending the book to the Kindle.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
cvlowe
Enthusiast
cvlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre on laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurices5000 View Post
But it does not support a simple task as editing the title of a MOBI ebook as it displays in on screen.
Do you want to edit the book directly from the reader? AFAIK, you can't but it's VERY easy to change the name the way you are asking from the library window.
cvlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
maurices5000
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
How are you getting the book to the Kindle? If you are using Calibre to send the book then the name on the Kindle should match the name in Calibre. If you are copying using OS level facilities then that might explain what you are seeing as simply changing the name in Calibre does not affect the file on disk in the Calibre library, it merely updates the information stored in the Calibre database.
Thanks for the reply, before I could get my books in MOBI format, i would convert them from EPUB to MOBI and then upload them to my Yahoo account and email them that way. But a lot of formatting would disappear.

Now with the MOBI book, i can get all the formatting of the EPUB, except I can't figure out how to change the name that displays on the screen.

Quote:
If you want to update the embedded metadata without doing a conversion use the Polish Books feature after changing the name in Calibre.
Thanks, I looked but I can't find the Polish Books feature. I'll do a google search to see if i can find it. But yes, I DO NOT want to do a conversion. The book is already in MOBI I just need to change the title. If I do a conversion, my pictures are not align right, links and stuff change colors, etc.

Quote:
You can also use metadata-plugboards to do much fancier alterations of the title/author during the process of sending the book to the Kindle.
I only know how to convert and manually send the book to my Kindle through Yahoo mail. I use this method because I want to keep track of my notes.

If you could tell me how to Polish the book assuming this is fix the problem, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
maurices5000
Connoisseur

Oh well

I found a link on Google. It says: "Note that polishing only works on files in the AZW3 or EPUB formats."

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/ebook-polish.html
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
You have to add 'Polish Books' to the toolbar. You can do this under Preferances»Toolbar
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
maurices5000
Connoisseur

I went to Preferences and then to Toolbars. But I did not see Add Polish.

Am I missing something?

Thanks very much
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Polish wont update metadata in MOBI files

But the recently added Embed Metadata tool will do it. Because it's a recent enhancement you may need to add it to one or more toolbars, or select book(s) press ctrl/E (cmd/E on OS/X) then select MOBI and press OK.

To add something to a toolbar you first need to select the relevant toolbar from the long drop down button at the top of the Preferences->Toolbars panel; then find the tool in which you're interested the left hand list, and 'move' it to the right hand list with the the right pointing (→) blue arrow. Don't forget to click 'Apply' to make the changes 'stick'

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
The reason some are confused is because you must circumvent calibre by manually moving files for the title not to be updated in the book's metadata. So use calibre to email your books. This will ensure the title is updated in the mobi's metadata before it is sent from calibre.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
maurices5000
Connoisseur

Thanks a million Dr. Ohhh. I'm going to give this a try.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
maurices5000
Connoisseur

Ok Doctor Ohh, are you saying all i have to do is email myself the book? That is all. No conversion technique or anything? I'm not exactly clear? What do I do before i email it? How do i rename them before It emails them?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
maurices5000
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Polish wont update metadata in MOBI files

But the recently added Embed Metadata tool will do it. Because it's a recent enhancement you may need to add it to one or more toolbars, or select book(s) press ctrl/E (cmd/E on OS/X) then select MOBI and press OK.

To add something to a toolbar you first need to select the relevant toolbar from the long drop down button at the top of the Preferences->Toolbars panel; then find the tool in which you're interested the left hand list, and 'move' it to the right hand list with the the right pointing (→) blue arrow. Don't forget to click 'Apply' to make the changes 'stick'

BR
I attached what my screen look like.

1) In the first picture I select Preferences.
2) I select Toolbars under Interfaces
3) I get a drop down list not two listboxes with arrows.

Thanks! Can you provide screenshot or something for me to better see waht you mean!

I greatly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre1.PNG
Views:	200
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	127123   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre2.PNG
Views:	274
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	127124   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre3.PNG
Views:	303
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	127125  
Old 08-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is because you have not chosen WHICH toolbar yet.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
maurices5000
Connoisseur

Thanks Ducks! I see my error. Ok that part if fixed.

I still don't get anything when I select the MOBI ebook and press the Embed metadata button.

I also tried doing the following

select MOBI book press ctrl + E then select MOBI and press OK.

On the main screen where I see my list of books, I don't see a pop up or a MOBI button to select, when i select the book I want to edit. There is no OK button either.

Ok, well if i don't select a book before clicking the Embed Metadata button, I get an error message. But I only get a pop up or dialog box (with MOBI in it) when i select the second option shown in the picture.

It doesn't give me the option to edit anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre4.png
Views:	216
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	127126  

Last edited by maurices5000; 08-21-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It has been said before: Polish works on AZW3 or EPUB, not the older Mobi

Unless you are mailing books to your modern Kindle: use AZW3
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote