Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #61
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Headline: "Seven people were mown down in Main Street when a car ploughed through a red light"

If I could, I'd strangle people who write/read such lines. Cars can't plough and people aren't hay.

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-30-2020 at 04:00 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #62
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Oh, don't get me started on the public-employee-in-front-of-a-camera-speak switch that get thrown.
It's an Anglosphere prolix pandemic
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No.

"Near Miss" means being near someone referred to as "Miss".

But a "near miss" (which I think you meant) is not a hit. "Nearly a miss" would be a hit.

A "near miss" is a miss that is near. The adjective modifies the noun, it doesn't change its meaning.

A "near hit" would be a hit that was almost exactly at the intended point on the target.
I disagree. I believe "near miss" might want to mean a "miss that was near" (what a miss might be near to, I have no idea), but it fails miserably in conveying that. "Nearly collided," fits the bill much better in my opinion.

Besides, there was no stipulation that I be grammatically correct in my reasons for phrase-hating

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-30-2020 at 04:32 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sportscasters who insist on saying, "he left his feet." And you know there's a bunch of you.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #65
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's fun to go through their archives and remember overused words and phrases from the previous years:

https://www.lssu.edu/banished-words-...-list-archive/

The home page is also good fun.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #66
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I also dislike "It is what it is." Usually said while trying to duck responsibility to ameliorate a situation.
I tend to see this is a way to commiserate over something that can't be changed. More acceptable in public than saying "well that just sucks!"

Or even a way to try to get someone to stop griping about something that can't be changed.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #67
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
One I hear alot is "he did his best". Generally, the context is in something having not gone well (maybe a little, maybe a lot).

I don't know anyone who does their best all the time. We do what we do. (That phrase might annoy people as much as "it is what it is"). It can't be changed. If we were stupid (or lazy or rude or whatever), we can only hope we'll learn from it.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 01-30-2020 at 08:16 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:15 PM   #68
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
When political candidates drop out of a race, why do they say they are "suspending" their campaign, rather than ending it? It's not like anybody who "suspends" ever actually reactivates his/her campaign.
I remember Ross Perot reactivating his campaign. It didn't go well, though.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:18 AM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
nom nom nom. Need I say more?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I tend to see this is a way to commiserate over something that can't be changed. More acceptable in public than saying "well that just sucks!"
So how about, "That's just how it is" or "somethings can't be changed"? Or just about anything original which convey's commiseration (though I typically see it used way more RE shirking something, myself) better than that other silly sound-bite just being regurgitated ad nauseum. Use your words!
Old 01-31-2020, 12:34 PM   #71
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No.

"Near Miss" means being near someone referred to as "Miss".

But a "near miss" (which I think you meant) is not a hit. "Nearly a miss" would be a hit.

A "near miss" is a miss that is near. The adjective modifies the noun, it doesn't change its meaning.

A "near hit" would be a hit that was almost exactly at the intended point on the target.
Or it could be a transsexual woman who hasn't yet physically transitioned.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:57 PM   #72
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"Near Miss"

Isn't that a Hit? "Near hit" would make much more sense to me.
In my job, a "Near miss" is a situation that was very close to becoming an accident.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:43 PM   #73
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I can’t abide “to reach out”. It is such a mealy-mouthed and long winded way of saying “to contact”. It implies some subtlety or distinction in the contact that is not warranted. So you did not phone someone, or email them, or just plain spoke them, no you “reached out”. Ugh.

It seems to have become much more common recently too.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:10 PM   #74
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
If my actions contributed in any way to those unfortunate circumstances, then I apologize.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:08 PM   #75
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
If my actions contributed in any way to those unfortunate circumstances, then I apologize.
and

I am sorry if anyone was offended.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote