Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
seacity1
Zealot
seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition,Nook HD+, Nook Color, Nook ST & Ipad3
Cover problem when using Calibre's "Polish" function

I have a cover problem of a slightly different nature. When I use Calibre's "Polish" function, instead of epub/epub convert, to change a cover the book gets transferred to my Nook HD+ with no cover @ all. All looks well in Calibre & it looks like the cover was changed successfully. However, all I see in the device is a grey square - similar to what you see on some library books transferred through Overdrive. I use Calibre Companion to transfer my books & the cover does show up within the app - just not on the device bookshelf. Even when the book has a cover & I don't what to change it the cover does not transfer unless I epub/epub convert before sideloading This is a consistent problem, not a fluke. Does anyone have any idea why it is happening?
seacity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacity1 View Post
I have a cover problem of a slightly different nature. When I use Calibre's "Polish" function, instead of epub/epub convert, to change a cover the book gets transferred to my Nook HD+ with no cover @ all. All looks well in Calibre & it looks like the cover was changed successfully. However, all I see in the device is a grey square - similar to what you see on some library books transferred through Overdrive. I use Calibre Companion to transfer my books & the cover does show up within the app - just not on the device bookshelf. Even when the book has a cover & I don't what to change it the cover does not transfer unless I epub/epub convert before sideloading This is a consistent problem, not a fluke. Does anyone have any idea why it is happening?
@seacity1 No idea why - but if someone might have a clue if you let us know which OS are you using on your desktop/laptop - Windows, OS/X or Linux? And which version of calibre - latest is 1.23.

If Windows then is it XP, Vista, W7 or W8? And which variant of calibre - 32bit, portable or 64bit.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-10-2014 at 03:08 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacity1 View Post
I have a cover problem of a slightly different nature.
Moderator Notice
Moved posts to their own thread. In the future if your problem is "of a slightly different nature" please start a new thread.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-10-2014 at 05:08 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #4
seacity1
Zealot
seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.

I am running Win8 & have the latest version of Calibre (update weekly). Using 32 bit. For some reason 64 causes "hangs." My devices are Nook Hd+ & Nook Color. I get gray covers on both devices when I use Polish instead of convert to change or add covers prior to transfer. This is a consistent problem.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Nooks have various extra bugs when it comes to covers. It's possible that Polish is not working around one of those extra bugs. However, since the Nook platform is now dead and I no longer posses a working Nook to test with, this is not likely to be fixed. Just use convert.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Nooks have various extra bugs when it comes to covers. It's possible that Polish is not working around one of those extra bugs. However, since the Nook platform is now dead....
when did it die ???
lots of nooks still on sale - online booksotore still open ( US & UK)...
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:04 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233564
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
when did it die ???
lots of nooks still on sale - online booksotore still open ( US & UK)...
Nook=Downward spiral
Only the impact date is unknown

They wondered why poor sales over the holidays.

Why would a NEW user buy a end of life product from a company with troubles and no real sunshine forecast? Not for the long term customer and product support
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
They wondered why poor sales over the holidays.
Most e-readers xmas sales volumes were below the wishful thinking predictions published by vendors and their fanboy mouthpieces.

Quote:
Why would a NEW user buy a end of life product from a company with troubles and no real sunshine forecast? Not for the long term customer and product support
Simple price, why should it matter if the vendor goes out of business, that shouldn't stop it working. I know people who are still using Compaq's and there are more than a few OS/2 powered ATM's still out there.

Oh, wait we're talking e-readers, so maybe it does matter, there'd be nowhere to get your next firmware fix.

BR
Old 02-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Most e-readers xmas sales volumes were below the wishful thinking predictions published by vendors and their fanboy mouthpieces.

Simple price, why should it matter if the vendor goes out of business, that shouldn't stop it working. I know people who are still using Compaq's and there are more than a few OS/2 powered ATM's still out there.

Oh, wait we're talking e-readers, so maybe it does matter, there'd be nowhere to get your next firmware fix.

BR
BR You know how to use a reader (and a computer). You were probably an early(ish) adopter. By 'early', before Kindle/Nook became a household words.

My wife still does not get it!

She still thinks there must be some weird magic transferring a download to her Kindle via USB. (she has an embroidery machine that connects to her Dell via RS232v for pattern transfers. That is no problem )

There needs to be a warm/fuzzy 'Support blanket' for the current crop of computer non-users
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
BR You know how to use a reader (and a computer). You were probably an early(ish) adopter. By 'early', before Kindle/Nook became a household words.
were - Second-person singular simple past tense indicative of to be.

I was 20+ years ago. I still carry my palm pilot with its dog eared text files and I still have my TI Hex calculator from the early '80s next to my monitor.

I shelled out for an early model Kindle, it spat the dummy within 6 months. After getting nowhere with a long tedious email exchange with Amazing Not it ended up in the garden shed, it's still there! I don't have a smart phone because they don't work at my 'rural retreat' - but the featureless phone I bought 10+ years ago in Guangzhou for $25 still works, including at my 'rural retreat'.

I have no idea how to use an 'modern' ereader, that's why I rarely respond to device related issues. Most of my leisure reading is non contemporary, very little of which is available in any e-format. One of the things with which I'm blessed is some excellent second hand bookshops. I like rummaging around in them to find lost treasure and gems.

I like even better to liberate them by leaving them on bus seats, park benches etc; with an anonymous note telling the finder what I thought of them. An e-reader would deprive me of even that small pleasure, could even end up in a US prison cell for doing it - free enterprise, free trade - balderdash.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-15-2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #12
seacity1
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Nooks have various extra bugs when it comes to covers. It's possible that Polish is not working around one of those extra bugs. However, since the Nook platform is now dead and I no longer posses a working Nook to test with, this is not likely to be fixed. Just use convert.
Thanks for the help. I own 3 Nooks (HD+, Nook Color & Simple Touch). I also own an Ipad. Frankly, I prefer the Nook HD+ to the Ipad for reading & the graphic qualiy on the HD+ is nearly identical to the Ipad for magazines. If something still works it is hardly "dead." I asked for assistance not to have my reading device "dissed."
Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Device may not be dead, but the platform is... there is a difference...

No disrespect to your device, but its not worth it to Kovid to buy a device for a dead platform so he can fix errors on a device that will be phasing out through natural selection...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
seacity1
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Device may not be dead, but the platform is... there is a difference...

No disrespect to your device, but its not worth it to Kovid to buy a device for a dead platform so he can fix errors on a device that will be phasing out through natural selection...
I would say "yes" it's worth it since he is the developer of a program that is used worldwide by thousands of people, not all of whom have access or can afford to purchase the latest technology. I would have to say that probably includes the majority of his users. I would not call a device that is still sold everyday & used by many people "legacy." Does that means he is not going to be able to test Sony devices since they will no longer be making tablets & have closed their online bookstore? How can he vouch for his program if he is not able to test it on the majority of the devices it might be used on? How does he determine what test equipment to buy - look at the latest stock market reports? ("Well - we can throw that one away!") Slounds a bit elitest to me. Maybe all the "caveats" shuld be spelled out on his website so we "dead platform" users can appropriately lower our expectations. "Sorry, guys, don't know if this will work. All I have to test it on is the new Ipad that came out this week." Ridiculous!
Old 02-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You realize he is not being paid to develop calibre? Why should he buy a Nook out of his own money to fix this bug, especially when there is a workaround? Not because he will ever use it... or because he anticipates a lot of people actually hitting this problem...

And there are many devices out there that are supported, since people will be continuing to buy them. And Kovid will be happy to support the Nook, I am sure, if you are wiling to buy him one to test. Legacy devices that were never that popular to begin with (distant third) are never going to be a priority when he has more than enough to be doing already. Its a bit of an overstatement to say that these are the majority of devices, though. Kindle alone is the majority inside the US, and Kobo is more popular than the Nook everywhere.

I am sure Sony ereaders will be supported for as long as Sony continues to sell them (outside the US they do) and he has one to test.

And as always, calibre accepts patches.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote