Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Eggplantus
Eggplantus began at the beginning.

Device: Digital
ISSUE: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package

I'm getting this error when trying to install Calibre 64-bit v0.9.26 on my Windows 7 SP1 64-Bit:

If I then try to open Calibre and try opening the Quick Start Guide, I get this error:

Code:
calibre, version 0.9.26
ERROR: Could not open ebook: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\Eggplantus\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_u_ckls\\tv88xv_ebook_iter'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 40, in run
  File "threading.py", line 504, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 99, in __enter__
  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 234, in __call__
  File "site-packages\calibre\__init__.py", line 441, in __enter__
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\Eggplantus\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_u_ckls\\tv88xv_ebook_iter'
I have ActiveState ActivePython 2.7 (32-bit) installed as well as PyCrypto 2.6 for Python 2.7 32bit.
Eggplantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Eggplantus

I'm testing out the solution found at Superuser.com:

Quote:
In my case, the DLL wasn't missing--the installer didn't have permissions to access the folder. I didn't try running the installer as an administrator--this didn't make sense to me considering I was already using an admin account and would have expected UAC to handle privileges elevation. Anyway, like many things in Windows, this whole thing is a bit of a mystery to me. Nevertheless, after going to Properties > Security on the C:\Users\x\AppData\Local\Temp folder and giving that Everyone the Full control permission, installers that previous had been failing now worked! Hooray!
UPDATE: You can also give yourself (your user name) the full control, not Everyone.

Here's the steps:

Quote:
  • Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
  • Click the Security tab, and then click Edit.

Do one of the following:
  • To set permissions for a user that is not listed under Group or user names, click Add, type the name of the user or group, click OK, select the permissions, and then click OK.
  • To change or remove permissions from an existing group or user, click the name of the group or user, select the permissions, and then click OK.

Last edited by Eggplantus; 04-14-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Weezos_Gurl
Weezos_Gurl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD x43z60
im also having this issue and i cant seem to figure out what to do in order to fix it. only difference that mine says "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer package" can someone please help me
Weezos_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That sounds like a failed download. Empty your browser cache and download it again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or try a different browser. I have no problem downloading Calibre using Firefox.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Eggplantus

@Weezos_Gurl:

Install the latest version of CCleaner and run the Cleaner. Reboot your computer and then try again.