Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #196
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Returning to the lockdown issue, is painting and decorating a house an essential service? The house next door to me had a minor fire before Christmas, no one one hurt. Just one elderly man lived there and I believe is now staying with his son.

Nothing happened with the house for months, apart from a clearing out of furniture. Now there's a crew of men working on it. I was surprised to find this happening right now, with the Covid 19 restrictions. Naturally, I haven't spoken to them, but wonder whether they should be doing it.
They should not be working on the house. The man who lives there has a residence to stay during the lockdown. Yes you should call the police about this. They should ne be risking you by working on the house. It's not necessary.

Quote:
Cydric, my cat, died on tuesday morning.
I am sorry for the loss of Cydric.

I do understand their precautions. If any one of them gets ill, the practice may have to close and nobody's pet gets treated by them.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #197
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Every form of Internet needs a cord in some part of the connection. So the term cord cutting is just wrong. You cannot have a 100% wireless connection to your TV shows/movies.
I just love distinctions with no meaning.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #198
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Isn't it obvious. The internet needs cords to supply power to the hardware, but the information is transferred using cables and wirelessly.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #199
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
You can build the internet yourself. It is wireless

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...-The-IT-Crowd/
Old 04-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #200
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Isn't the reason for 'Shelter in Place' (We don't have a LOCK DOWN here) maintaining distance from others?
How is 1 person PAINTING an empty house a problem?

I did notice there are a number of construction sites around here with 1 person working in an area away from other work.
Where are these folk, many work minimum wage jobs, going to get money to buy FOOD if they don't work? Not everyone has CREDIT. Unfortunately, they also have little saved.

And while the President stopped foreclosures, did they think to prevent late fees? No. Most folk around here will never be able to dig themselves out if this goes on for a few months. Late fees, accrued interest leave nothing for food or utilities in the future months.

1/3 of my retirement has gone Poof. If I am lucky, I will not outlast it.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #201
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Isn't the reason for 'Shelter in Place' (We don't have a LOCK DOWN here) maintaining distance from others?
How is 1 person PAINTING an empty house a problem?
In my area this would be allowed. Some kinds of business are still open if they can provide appropriate distancing for their workers and clients. Of course I have no idea what the rules are in Bookcat's area.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #202
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Tomorrow Georgia Governor Kemp is going to order all, except essential workers and businesses to mandatorily close from April 3rd to the 13th.
Apache
Old 04-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #203
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Tomorrow Georgia Governor Kemp is going to order all, except essential workers and businesses to mandatorily close from April 3rd to the 13th.
Apache
Fulton County (one of the Counties that Atlanta, Georgia is in) has ordered a mandatory stay at home with the threat of fine or arrest. The exceptions are essential services (not defined), going to and from getting certain supplies, walking as long as you stay more than 6 feet away from anyone else. Homeless are excluded from the order. It doesn't effect me, since I'm retired and pretty much do that anyway. Can't say that I'm happy about it though.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #204
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Fulton County (one of the Counties that Atlanta, Georgia is in) has ordered a mandatory stay at home with the threat of fine or arrest. The exceptions are essential services (not defined), going to and from getting certain supplies, walking as long as you stay more than 6 feet away from anyone else. Homeless are excluded from the order. It doesn't effect me, since I'm retired and pretty much do that anyway. Can't say that I'm happy about it though.
Is it your position that the current covid-19 infection and death rates in Georgia are not exponential and that keeping people separate will not mitigate that?

Or that young healthy people are not at risk of death if they get infected?
Old 04-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #205
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Fulton County (one of the Counties that Atlanta, Georgia is in) has ordered a mandatory stay at home with the threat of fine or arrest. The exceptions are essential services (not defined)...
It's defined, they just put it in a separate document as an addendum to the initial declaration. http://fultoncountyboh.org/boh/media...-emergency.pdf
Old 04-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #206
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You pick apart someone who says they don't watch TV, they watch Netflix, but then you criticize when someone else who does the same with cord cutting?
Old 04-02-2020, 12:15 AM   #207
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You pick apart someone who says they don't watch TV, they watch Netflix, but then you criticize when someone else who does the same with cord cutting?
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"—Self-Reliance, Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-02-2020, 12:24 AM   #208
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"—Self-Reliance, Ralph Waldo Emerson
I always liked that one, because now I get to quibble over whether the required (by me) consistency is foolish or not.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:11 AM   #209
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Small contractors seem to be a gray area. We have plumbers doing some work while we're closed and no one else is in the space.

I took a stroll around a nearby cemetery (nicest park in easy walking distance), and they had at least six or eight groundskeepers going just that I saw. Obviously some work in a cemetery has to carry on, but some of the hedges could probably go without trimming.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:05 AM   #210
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Is it your position that the current covid-19 infection and death rates in Georgia are not exponential and that keeping people separate will not mitigate that?

Or that young healthy people are not at risk of death if they get infected?
My position is that I'm not going to be drawn into debates or worry about justifying my feelings to anyone in this thread. In other threads, I will be happy to discuss my philosophy on governance.
Closed Thread