Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
Tara Ka'at
Tara Ka'at began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire 8
Help, please.

I recently got a new laptop and installed Calibre again (I had it on my old laptop). I decided to make a brand new Calibre library, so I did not import my old library, instead starting from scratch adding books from various places (Gutenberg and small non-Amazon publishers) and fanfics.
If a book has a cover, or if I add a cover to a fanfic, then Calibre just opens the cover, it doesn't open the book (I've tried changing/converting formats and it's the same behavior for all formats) - there is no small black arrow on the sides to advance pages.
Some books from Gutenberg don't have covers and they open just fine and I'm able to read them. And fanfics without covers open just fine. So I know Calibre is working on my laptop.
Oh, and the Calibre Quick Start Guide also will not open as a book, it's simply a static picture of the cover.
Any and all help is appreciated.
Tara Ka'at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved from Calibre Companion
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How did you install? BTW What OS?

It sounds like File Associations are totally messed up.
V(iew) should open most standard books

If it just opens the Image using your OS, that Calibre install is broken.
Uninstall (the Library remains) and try a fresh download.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
Tara Ka'at

Thanks! (And sorry for not posting my inquiry in the correct thread.)
I have Windows 10. I d/led Calibre from the Calibre site.
So if I uninstall and reinstall it will keep the books already in my current Calibre?
Old 03-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
Tara Ka'at

I just reinstalled Calibre (Oh, also it's the Windows 64bit version) and the problem is still there.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:15 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

A little more Harsh fix. You will lose user SETTINGS and plugins.
Preferences: Miscellaneous: Open Calibre Configuration (click the button) LEAVE EXPLORER OPEN

Exit Calibre
Now delete the contents (or move it to some place safe)

Start Calibre. If you don't use the default Library name/Location, you may need to use
Create/Switch: USE EXISTING: <point it to your Library folder>
Old 03-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #7
Tara Ka'at

So, you're suggesting I remove all the libraries I have (I sort the books and fics into individual libraries based on subject) from their current location on my hard drive and put them in a new location. Then re-upload the libraries into Calibre from the new location?
Old 03-30-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Ka'at View Post
So, you're suggesting I remove all the libraries I have (I sort the books and fics into individual libraries based on subject) from their current location on my hard drive and put them in a new location. Then re-upload the libraries into Calibre from the new location?
NO. I never said LIBRARIES

I said SETTINGS.. reread the instructions. I suspect a Global corruption (EACH LIBRARY MAY HAVE 'PER-LIBRARY' settings inside the DB. But this appears to be a Calibre level issue, affecting all libraries. IF THIS IS NOT THE CASE, DON'T DO THIS. It won't cure your woes

This will lose the CONNECTION info (where) on the Library icon.
The instructions, just tell you how to reconstruct the linkage to the fully INTACT Library.
That step take 30 seconds per Library
Old 03-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #9
Tara Ka'at

Ah, ok, thanks, I get it now. I'll try this, thanks for your help!
Old 03-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Click or scroll on the cover. You should get the arrows then.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Click or scroll on the cover. You should get the arrows then.
Calibres viewer will also advance a page, simply tapping the space bar