Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
KA1 can't be accessed

My Kobo Aura One has always worked fine with everything.

Now, it's launch is signaled by Windows with the normal sound, it is shown in the list of disks, and the <eject hardware> processes it fine so it can be disconnected.

Two programs that always have worked fine with it, ADE and Calibre, now don't acknowledge its presence. The <properties> <tools> <check disk> puts up a popup that says, "The disk could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk."

Any suggested remedies, please?

Thanks.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Check the permission and do a check disk.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried and got the error message cited.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard

[deleted]

Last edited by petercreasey; 03-25-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That is a Windows error. Until that is sorted out, applications such as calibre cannot access the device.

On the occasions I see that error, there was usually an error displayed when the device was connected. This is instead of the normal device has been connected message. For me, it usually means the USB port has gotten into a bad state, and I have to reboot the PC to fix it. It can also help to reboot the device.

Otherwise, there might be something in shown in Device manager for the USB ports and this device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard

I ran a Kobo "repair this account" and it finished in one second's time.

Then Windows "scan and repair" would start but would never finish; in fact, one time it didn't finish and locked up my PC.

I'm inclined to write off the KA1.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For me, it usually means the USB port has gotten into a bad state, and I have to reboot the PC to fix it. It can also help to reboot the device.
David, thanks so much for responding with this info.

Rebooting did not help; however, on a wild idea, I switched to another USB cable and the Kobo ereader was normally scanned and repaired by Windows and then both ADE and Calibre worked fine with it. (The prior cable always works fine with other applications.)

I should be good to go now. And, I have avoided buying another ereader...whew!!!

Last edited by petercreasey; 03-26-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I ran a Kobo "repair this account" and it finished in one second's time.
Which is to be expected. The repair does some cleanup and kicks off a sync for the books. And that does some checking and might not need to do much depending on how many books you have purchased from Kobo.

Of course, it had absolutely no connection to the problem you were having.
Quote:
Then Windows "scan and repair" would start but would never finish; in fact, one time it didn't finish and locked up my PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
David, thanks so much for responding with this info.

Rebooting did not help; however, on a wild idea, I switched to another USB cable and the Kobo ereader was normally scanned and repaired by Windows and then both ADE and Calibre worked fine with it. (The prior cable always works fine with other applications.)
Cables can be damaged in ways that aren't obvious. Some are marginal to start with, so any further damage will stop them from working. And different devices work differently putting different load on the USB infrastructure. My Glo HD will not stay connected to my laptop when calibre starts talking to it, but, I have no problems with any of the other devices. I tried an older laptop, and the Glo HD works perfectly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote