Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
STrRedWolf
STrRedWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ODT Conversion... with style issues

First time posting, so fair warning... kinda need some help.

Using Calibre 4.32 on Ubuntu (latest), with the source material made in LibreOffice 6.3.5.2... and it's formatted a bit basic (no styles).

What I mean is that I do have chapter headers as Heading 1 and text as Default Style... but I have some scenes that are written like blog posts, and I have the formatting such that ether a single-cell table or a lengthy style lets it differentiate it from the regular text. They have a simple border around the entire scene.

I need to keep those scenes with the border.

I did a conversion from ODT to AZW3... and it kept everything but marked the border around every paragraph and block of bulleted lists. CSS lets me keep the in-betweens without the border.

My question is, how can I format the ODT in Libreoffice to produce the right effect in the AZW3? Every time I create some styles and toggle on Borders >> Merge with next paragraph, it produces the borders around the bulleted list. (and looks worse with the bulleted list).

If you need some example text, let me know, and I can attach the ODT and resulting AZW3.
STrRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrRedWolf View Post
First time posting, so fair warning... kinda need some help.

Using Calibre 4.32 on Ubuntu (latest), with the source material made in LibreOffice 6.3.5.2... and it's formatted a bit basic (no styles).

What I mean is that I do have chapter headers as Heading 1 and text as Default Style... but I have some scenes that are written like blog posts, and I have the formatting such that ether a single-cell table or a lengthy style lets it differentiate it from the regular text. They have a simple border around the entire scene.

I need to keep those scenes with the border.

I did a conversion from ODT to AZW3... and it kept everything but marked the border around every paragraph and block of bulleted lists. CSS lets me keep the in-betweens without the border.

My question is, how can I format the ODT in Libreoffice to produce the right effect in the AZW3? Every time I create some styles and toggle on Borders >> Merge with next paragraph, it produces the borders around the bulleted list. (and looks worse with the bulleted list).

If you need some example text, let me know, and I can attach the ODT and resulting AZW3.
Save your document as Microsoft Word XML 2007-20013 (.docx) or open Office XML (.docx). then convert. Latest versions of calibre seem to convert .docx better than .odt.

But the best way maybe to convert to epub then fix in epub then convert to azw.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
STrRedWolf
STrRedWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So I sat down and went through the novel... and found more inconsistencies that would of really give calibre a good drubbing.

Here's what I ended up doing:
  1. Ran through all the blog post scenes and converted them from using tables to using styles.
  2. Found that everything was a mix of multiple styles, so exported it all to HTML.
  3. Stripped out all the manual styling via Visual Studio Code.
  4. Stripped out the fonts to the bare minimum. Really, LibreOffice, you put six fonts I don't use? I only use three.
  5. Corrected some weirdness (ie why did I have a list entry between two paragraphs... and bold in bolded headings...)
  6. Imported the HTML back into LibreOffice.
  7. Went through every scene again, defining custom styles to keep things consistent.
  8. Export it to DOCX
  9. Imported it into Calibre, pushing it to AZW3 format, default settings.

I'm much happier now.
STrRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote