Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #61
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
I hope you're pulling a pay cheque from Kobo taming; you're doing a lot of tech support here!
Nope. It's a hobby. Now, how pathetic is my life that I do tech support on MR as a hobby? If my son makes me a grandmother, I'm outta here.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #62
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
lol!
Btter than doing nothing IMHO
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #63
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Nope. It's a hobby. Now, how pathetic is my life that I do tech support on MR as a hobby? If my son makes me a grandmother, I'm outta here.
You know, you'll have to give the grandkid back sometimes... Then you can come on back here -

unless you have to catch up on your reading
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #64
rischa
rischa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Just an update on my update ;-) ...after taking my Kobo back to Borders to be reflashed so I could at least boot with 1.4 firmware again, I tackled the desktop app to get the 1.8 update.

It all went well, but instructions given did actually give an incorrect button combination to get into upgrade mode - sorry if this has already been discussed, but it's probably good to point out again as I guess there will be a few more Aussies doing the update now that it has rolled out to the Borders app. The on-screen instructions say to press the menu button + the power button, but you actually need to press the centre D-pad as well.

But it's all great now, and thank you to Taming for the instructions on how to replace the db etc; I did that too, so it's all nice and fresh!
rischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #65
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Upgrading the firmware for me was a pretty seamless experience. All went well and my Kobo is now powering along with 1.8.1
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #66
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Speaking of 1.8, 1.8.1, 1.8.2.....
After updating mine from 1.8.1, and using the ctrl + alt + u to force the 1.8.2 update, I checked my versionon the Kobo to see what was really there and for some odd reason I have 1.8.3 loaded on my Kobo....
Any Comments?

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #67
stocksa
John
stocksa doesn't litterstocksa doesn't litter

What does 1.8.3 do that is new?
stocksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #68
rischa

I don't know, but I think mine has 1.8.3 too.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 AM   #69
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
1.8.3 is a minor bug fix for repeating pages in the old sqlite book format.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #70
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

So If you have replaced the database as I did, then 1.8.3 wasn't necessary afterall, but as with all things once a new version is in the stream, olde versions get moved to pasture....

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #71
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
That is correct, if any version of 1.8.x is working just fine for you, then don't update--the .x versions are to correct things that were problematic for some users.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #72
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Upgrade (through Borders app) just bricked my Kobo. I am furious. This should not happen.
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #73
rischa

Yeah mine froze and I had to take it to the store to be re-flashed. I found out when talking to the Kobo helpdesk that the desktop software was giving the wrong key combination for upgrade mode too! I think it says to press the menu button + power, but actually you also need to press the centre of the d-pad.

I've found the stores to be quite helpful (if a little dopey) with doing a reflash so you should go in and ask. You won't necessarily be able to get them to do a firmware update though - the helpdesk said that they don't send the stores the firmware image on cards unless a lot of people in the area are having problems with updating via the desktop app.

My upgrade ended up working though so don't give up!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #74
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Okay, thanks.

Appalling that I should have to take this thing to a shop. 1.8's been floating around for several weeks, why is this still happening?? And why has the desktop software not been upgraded to provide the correct key combination?
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #75
rischa

Yeah I was sooooo angry when mine froze up.

But I'm happy to have 1.8 - the sleep mode without the auto shutdown is so handy.