Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #811
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Actually, most of the books I read are either converted from html pages (with the GrabMyBook addon) or converted in Calibre. The latest I've had the worst of time with was converted from a pdf.
At the same time I have problems with books I could open with no issue before.

I'm going to test whether it is because of the number of books. If not, I suppose it will either be because of an update problem, or some kind of hardware malfunction.
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #812
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
I'm going to test whether it is because of the number of books. If not, I suppose it will either be because of an update problem, or some kind of hardware malfunction.
You mentioned your platform being a Glo with 400 books. When I was still using my Glo, I had well over that amount and saw none of the issues you report.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:23 AM   #813
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Actually, most of the books I read are either converted from html pages (with the GrabMyBook addon) or converted in Calibre. The latest I've had the worst of time with was converted from a pdf.
At the same time I have problems with books I could open with no issue before.
The epub renderer on the Kobo devices is unforgiving of errors. I would expect that the GrabMyBook addon just wraps the HTML page in the epub structure. Any errors the page code would cause problems when you open it on the device. If you open it in the calibre editor and ran the error check, you should see any errors in the code.

A conversion should produce clean code. It can usually clean the errors up, but if there are unbalanced tags or incorrect nesting of tags, the result might seem wrong.
Quote:
Unless you are using a very old firmware version, the number of books is not the problem. I'm running at nearly 4000 books with no problems. And the issues in the older firmware kicked in with a lot more than 400 books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:40 AM   #814
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Well, I gave it a try and, as expected, that's not it.

So, software update or hardware problem. Since there are some books that are sometimes ok and sometimes not, I would tend to think the latest update is at fault, for whatever reason.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #815
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm running the latest 3.19 firmware on my H2O and I do not see any of these issues.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #816
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I gave it a try and, as expected, that's not it.

So, software update or hardware problem. Since there are some books that are sometimes ok and sometimes not, I would tend to think the latest update is at fault, for whatever reason.
You haven't stated what firmware version you are running. But, in my experience, none have done what you are reporting without another issue such as the database or bad book.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:17 AM   #817
Trenien
Groupie

After checking, I have the same 3.19 version (precisely, 3.19.5761).
Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #818
masterz87
Connoisseur
masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Kobo Aura H20

Random insane lag like literally 2-3s when changing a page after highlighting or touching a book to select it for reading.

Seriously the performance onthis thing goes from OK to god awful my old android running java based reader program on an old cpu ereader ran with more consistent performance.
masterz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #819
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterz87 View Post
Random insane lag like literally 2-3s when changing a page after highlighting or touching a book to select it for reading.
If this is with epubs, try kepub.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #820
masterz87
Connoisseur
masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.masterz87 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If this is with epubs, try kepub.
why would I want to _rebuy_ my own books?

Plus this is a damned ereader that specifically advertises all of the formats that it works with, why should I repurchase my epubs that i've already gotten, or have to buy them from kobo when I can just rent a lot of books that I want to read from my local library as epubs. Saying "oh use this propietary format instead of the standard that ebooks use and that all ereaders support because if you don't it'll run like shit" is not a proper response.

Last edited by masterz87; 02-21-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:02 PM   #821
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
why would I want to _rebuy_ my own books?
Absolutely no need to rebuy! All you need is the Kobo Touch Extended plugin for Calibre. This will then send the book to your device as a kepub instead of an epub.

Quote:
Plus this is a damned ereader that specifically advertises all of the formats that it works with, why should I repurchase my epubs that i've already gotten, or have to buy them from kobo when I can just rent a lot of books that I want to read from my local library as epubs. Saying "oh use this propietary format instead of the standard that ebooks use and that all ereaders support because if you don't it'll run like shit" is not a proper response.
*shrug* Do whatever you like, there's no point ranting and swearing at me about it, since I'm not Kobo. I'm offering a possible simple workaround. It may also help diagnose your problem.

If you'd like more help, it would be useful for you to create a fresh thread with a more usable report: firmware version, exactly what formats you're reading, where the books came from, whether you've checked them for errors, exactly what is going wrong on which user actions, and what troubleshooting steps you've tried so far.

Last edited by meeera; 02-21-2017 at 11:09 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #822
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Seriously the performance onthis thing goes from OK to god awful my old android running java based reader program on an old cpu ereader ran with more consistent performance.
Which firmware are you using? A new firmware was just released. Maybe Kobo has fixed your issue in the new firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #823
masterz87
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which firmware are you using? A new firmware was just released. Maybe Kobo has fixed your issue in the new firmware.
3.x.y.z whatever it was last one for aura h20.

Also when reading a cbz file if you page flip too much(it happens randomly) it'll close out the book. Also the battery remaining % is worthless. Does it need to get "broke in" as laptop batteries do wherein you do 2 full discharge/recharge cycles when you get it and then use it normally and every month do a full discharge/recharge to get it to work better?

It went from 40% to 10% over the course of one night in sleep mode. And others are getting 60-70hrs of battery life wherein I only got ~27hrs from a charge till it died.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #824
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Also when reading a cbz file if you page flip too much(it happens randomly) it'll close out the book.
I don't remember hearing of that before. I don't normally read comics, but I'll have to try it.
Quote:
Also the battery remaining % is worthless. Does it need to get "broke in" as laptop batteries do wherein you do 2 full discharge/recharge cycles when you get it and then use it normally and every month do a full discharge/recharge to get it to work better?
The battery is a Li-Ion cell, so calibrating the power meter like you do for a laptop could be useful.
Quote:
It went from 40% to 10% over the course of one night in sleep mode. And others are getting 60-70hrs of battery life wherein I only got ~27hrs from a charge till it died.
Dropping by 30% overnight is very high. But, it can do an automatic sync overnight and if this has trouble, the batter usage can be high.

And comparing the battery usage to others is a bit hard. It depends so much on how you use the device. While reading, the power usage is basically when turning the page. While you are reading the page, the CPU will go into a low power mode, and use very little power. So, a slower reader will get more battery life than a fast reader. Or if you are simply flipped through the pages, the battery will be used a lot faster. As you mention CBZ, I have always assumed these end up using more power. The size of the files, plus rendering the image for each page and they seem to be quicker to read than a page of text, should mean more power is used than for a text novel.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #825
masterz87
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't remember hearing of that before. I don't normally read comics, but I'll have to try it.

The battery is a Li-Ion cell, so calibrating the power meter like you do for a laptop could be useful.

Dropping by 30% overnight is very high. But, it can do an automatic sync overnight and if this has trouble, the batter usage can be high.

And comparing the battery usage to others is a bit hard. It depends so much on how you use the device. While reading, the power usage is basically when turning the page. While you are reading the page, the CPU will go into a low power mode, and use very little power. So, a slower reader will get more battery life than a fast reader. Or if you are simply flipped through the pages, the battery will be used a lot faster. As you mention CBZ, I have always assumed these end up using more power. The size of the files, plus rendering the image for each page and they seem to be quicker to read than a page of text, should mean more power is used than for a text novel.
the battery life thing is simple, I have wifi _always_ off except really rarely when i decide to use pocket maybe once a week or less. Furthermore the battery life thing I did, I _only_ read epubs no cbz I only did a test with cbzs lately and they also seem to _not_ use the orientation of the images themselves. It seems tot take whatever the dimensions of the cover(aka first image) and rotate it to fit the screen best.

Also this thing changes pages _slower_ than my NST so I'd hardly call it a "fast" ereader the lag in the UI is similar or worse than the NST I had previously. it had a 800mhz cpu and I think 256MiB of ram and was running android 2 with the entire UI/reading app etc was all done via java.

Tags
pocket app