Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 AM   #1
firstname
Enthusiast
firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KT2 currently, soon PW3
Question Backlit e-Reader, least eye strain, & open most formats?

I am looking for some advice on an e-Reader, which I had intended to buy second hand to keep costs down, but I will consider purchasing a new one also if the perfect device is too new to be available second hand. The main capabilities I would like it to have are as follow:

1. Backlit so I can read at night without a light

2. Least eye strain possible. I do not suffer with my eyes, but I have read about how blue light from a regular tablet can affect sleep, which I can have problems with, and I would rather negate this as much as possible.

3. The ability to load almost all, or most formats, as I have a large collection of e-books from Amazon but also other providers etc. I am happy to root the device, if necessary.

Wi-Fi would be nice for transferring files, but this is not a deal breaker. I am happy enough with a black & white display as I want this device for reading books, colour would be a bonus, but not something I want to pay extra for, or sacrifice anything listed above.

I watched one review online about the Kobo Aura One, and although this is way over my budget, I would consider the investment if it really is what would suit my needs. I then watched another review, and it really is damning of the Kobo Aura One, intermittent touch response, delay changing pages, inability to select text, and bad PDF navigation.

Perhaps I should just go with Kindle Paperwhite and jailbreak it to allow ePub compatibility?
firstname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'd suggest going for a Kindle Paperwhite, and just convert your ePubs to AZW3 with calibre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2017, 05:56 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Firstly, I'm guessing that you're looking for a front-lit e-ink device, given that you're seeking black and white with lowest eyestrain? E-ink readers are all frontlit (or not lit at all).

Your other needs don't really narrow things down much, if you're willing to convert formats (which is very easy with Calibre, stripping DRM first if necessary with Apprentice Alf's tools). Do you want a six inch screen, or larger? Is waterproofing of interest to you? Library ebook borrowing? Font customisation, sideloading of fonts, fine display customisation? Other things?

You also haven't stated your country. It makes a difference.

If you're planning to read a lot of PDFs, on the other hand, especially if they're technical/scientific PDFs, I'd suggest a tablet.

Last edited by meeera; 04-19-2017 at 06:00 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Be warned, the current jailbreak no longer works with the current firmware. You can still buy the old firmware, but be careful...

Also Kobo supports more formats than Kindle. And it comes jailbroken. But Kindle does have more tools written for a jailbroken device, as long as you can jailbreak it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Firstly, I'm guessing that you're looking for a front-lit e-ink device, given that you're seeking black and white with lowest eyestrain? E-ink readers are all frontlit (or not lit at all).

Your other needs don't really narrow things down much, if you're willing to convert formats (which is very easy with Calibre, stripping DRM first if necessary with Apprentice Alf's tools). Do you want a six inch screen, or larger? Is waterproofing of interest to you? Library ebook borrowing? Font customisation, sideloading of fonts, fine display customisation? Other things?

You also haven't stated your country. It makes a difference.

If you're planning to read a lot of PDFs, on the other hand, especially if they're technical/scientific PDFs, I'd suggest a tablet.
This is good advice.

Most e-readers can not read Amazon and ePub books. Invest some time learning about Calibre and DRM stripping if you want to read your books on a device of your choosing.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Also be aware Amazon is introducing a book format called KFX which cannot be converted. You can still d/l the older ebook formats via loopholes, but Amazon is making it harder to convert books.
If you want an "open" ereader, it's harder to find a less open ereader than a Kindle, and they're becoming less and less open. whatever you do, if you get one, do it soon and make sure you have the old firmware.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Also be aware Amazon is introducing a book format called KFX which cannot be converted. You can still d/l the older ebook formats via loopholes, but Amazon is making it harder to convert books.
If you want an "open" ereader, it's harder to find a less open ereader than a Kindle, and they're becoming less and less open. whatever you do, if you get one, do it soon and make sure you have the old firmware.
Forgive me, but that's slightly alarmist advice. Firstly, there's no practical possibility of ever not being able to load your own content onto a Kindle, and so you can use it to read books bought elsewhere, if that's your wish. Secondly, there's little possibility of ever being "forced" to get a Kindle book in KFX format.

A Kindle is neither more nor less open than any other brand, and which firmware version you have on it is pretty irrelevant unless you have a wish to jailbreak it (something I've never personally felt the slightest urge to do ).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Secondly, there's little possibility of ever being "forced" to get a Kindle book in KFX format.
Aside from using an older version of Kindle for PC, how can you currently avoid getting a format other than KFX from Amazon?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Aside from using an older version of Kindle for PC, how can you currently avoid getting a format other than KFX from Amazon?
Use the "transfer via USB" option on the "Manage Your Kindle" page at Amazon. That gives you a KF8 or Mobi version of the book. It's unlikely to ever give you KFX, because KFX isn't a single file, but a bundle of files and a folder.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Use the "transfer via USB" option on the "Manage Your Kindle" page at Amazon. That gives you a KF8 or Mobi version of the book. It's unlikely to ever give you KFX, because KFX isn't a single file, but a bundle of files and a folder.
You must own an actual Kindle to use the "transfer via USB" option. I don't own a Kindle, and when I chose that I get this message:

"You have selected content that is not compatible with any of your registered devices. Please remove incompatible content from selection for eligible devices to appear."

So as far as I know, aside from using an older version of Kindle for PC, you can not avoid KFX from Amazon. And if they retire the older versions of Kindle For PC (as they have done before) then customers like me will be out of luck.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
So as far as I know, aside from using an older version of Kindle for PC, you can not avoid KFX from Amazon. And if they retire the older versions of Kindle For PC (as they have done before) then customers like me will be out of luck.
There have been instructions posted in the various KFX threads for disabling getting KFX in newer versions of K4PC. Haven't tried them myself.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The Apple AZK is also a bundle of files in a folder. I have no doubt that Amazon can deliver a KFX in a single file that gets expanded automatically. KDF is a format that may provide that ability. After all ePub itself is a bundle of files inside a zip file. Some of the tools I have seen open the ePub zip and store it in a folder in order to read it with a browser.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There have been instructions posted in the various KFX threads for disabling getting KFX in newer versions of K4PC. Haven't tried them myself.
Good to know. I followed the KFX threads for a while, then gave up since my current installation of K4PC still works.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

firstname's gotta be asking how any of this will help him/her find a good reader.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
You must own an actual Kindle to use the "transfer via USB" option. I don't own a Kindle, and when I chose that I get this message:

"You have selected content that is not compatible with any of your registered devices. Please remove incompatible content from selection for eligible devices to appear."

Certainly you must own a Kindle, and that's what it's been suggested that the OP buys.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-19-2017 at 01:53 PM.