Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2023, 08:16 AM   #1
Inksessions
Inksessions began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Downloading ebook from web-based reader

This is porbbaly a very newbie question but I created this account to hopefully troubleshoot this. I have recently bought an ebook from a vendor just to realize that I can only read my ebook only on their website via their web based reader website or mobile app. I would very much like to read it on my kindle paperwhite but I'll have to figure out how to download the ebook from the web reader to epub/mobi/pdf.
Im just wondering if it is possible?
I'm pretty sad right now. , I'm so silly to assume I'll be able to download a digital file of the ebook from the vendor just because I purchased the ebook with my money..
Inksessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:22 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Who is the vendor?

As to your question, no, it probably isn't possible to download your book. Not every vendor allows their customers to do that.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2023, 08:56 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I didn't know there were any surviving (non-textbook) vendors still attempting this. Who are they?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:01 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I didn't know there were any surviving (non-textbook) vendors still attempting this. Who are they?
Barnes & Noble. And HarperCollins, who sells from their own site, but doesn't let you download the files.

Those are the ones I'm aware of. There may be others.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:31 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Harlequin / Mills & Boon? Not sure.
Amazon Vella?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2023, 10:44 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Harlequin / Mills & Boon? Not sure.
Amazon Vella?
Onleihe Web Reader
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:57 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Barnes & Noble. And HarperCollins, who sells from their own site, but doesn't let you download the files.

Those are the ones I'm aware of. There may be others.
HarperCollins Australia doesn't; their ebook listings just have a set of links to Amazon, Kobo etc. I see HC US does have an app-based reader, but at least this is clearly disclosed on the for-sale page, which is good.

Mills & Boon sells books that work via ADE, but I admit I don't think I've ever bought a HQ/M&B ebook because they're so readily available in the library.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:13 AM   #8
Inksessions
Inksessions began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Who is the vendor?

As to your question, no, it probably isn't possible to download your book. Not every vendor allows their customers to do that.
I bought my ebook from a Taiwanese based vendor; books . com . tw

It is the first time I've purchased ebooks online. I apologize if my query is very amateur.
Inksessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:30 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inksessions View Post

It is the first time I've purchased ebooks online. I apologize if my query is very amateur.
It's not.

Unfortunately, yes, there are some vendors who don't allow you to download your purchased books. If you read in English, then Kobo, Ebooks.com and Google Play all let you download your files. So does Amazon, if you have an eink Kindle on your account.

Sorry, I know nothing about Taiwanese vendors and so can't give any recommendations about them.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:10 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inksessions View Post

Not at all! I'm sorry you had this happen. Can you ask for a refund?