Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
I look at some pictures of it and it doesn't seem to have any anti-aliasing. Is that really true? The iPod Touch renders fonts beautifully.
Smaller screens always look sharper but bigger screens are easier to read. The eBookwise uses fonts that a built optimally for the screen resolution by aligning the ligatures (letters) to the pixel boundaries. This is important to maximize the clarity of 1/2 VGA resolution of a 5.5" screen. These are bitmapped fonts and they are very clear for reading.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #17
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I look at some pictures of it and it doesn't seem to have any anti-aliasing. Is that really true? The iPod Touch renders fonts beautifully.
The fonts on the EB1150 are very readable. I have a iphone and I don't like to read on it, you have to turn the page way too often IMO.

To me its better to have a dedicated ereader device because of how many books I read.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #18
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Old LCD, basically no relevant format support at all, extremely small storage and obsolete expansion cards, bulky. I guess I'm missing the point here because I wouldn't even take it if I received 90 bucks for it! For double the price you get a modern eInk reader, so why bother with that old POS?
Yoshi,

Ever wonder why the HP-12C business calculator is still in production, virtually unchanged since 1981? (ok there are internal differences the streamline production and replace parts that are no longer available, but from the user perspective it is still the same calculator). Sometimes, a device just works for some people. I don't personally have an 1150, I was worried about using it with Linux and or Macs (I have since learned it can be used fine with the Mac), which is what ultimately swung me to the jetbook. But lets look at the disadvantages.

1. Small storage: As others have said, most novels (Which is what the book is really designed to read) don't take up more than about a megabyte. Even if you read two books a week, and stick with the 64MB internal storage, that essentially means you only have to load new books on the reader every once a month.

2. Format support: fictionwise and their ebookwise subsidiary still sell lots of books in .imp format and it is supported by Manybooks.net if I remember correctly. In other words, there are tens of thousands of books available to read on it. Since even the "standard", epub, has different versions (particularly with DRM) you are still taking a gamble regardless of which format your device supports.

3. LCD versus eInk. If LCD doesn't cause you any problems, but the flash and slow refresh of eInk does, then this is a plus for the 1150. Likewise, the back light is a plus for most people. Even the low resolution does not appear to be a problem for most people.

4. As for bulk that is a subjective thing. Some people find the bulk makes it easier to hold and makes it feel more like a real book. Your mileage may vary.

Shoot, at $90, I am tempted to pick one up even though I need another book reader like I need a whole in the head....

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #19
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Old LCD, basically no relevant format support at all, extremely small storage and obsolete expansion cards, bulky. I guess I'm missing the point here because I wouldn't even take it if I received 90 bucks for it! For double the price you get a modern eInk reader, so why bother with that old POS?
Really. You wouldn't take one if someone gave you $90 to try it?
Calling a product you haven't even used a POS is pretty insulting to those who actually do have them, and use them (not to mention those of us who worked on them 10 years ago)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
(not to mention those of us who worked on them 10 years ago)
As in designed them? or just used them as a user? Just curious...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #21
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
As in designed them? or just used them as a user? Just curious...
both
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #22
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
I just preordered the Nook, but I'm still going to keep my eBookwise. It has its issues, but then, so did my Dodge Omni. But the Omni was still one of my favorite cars, and I hated having to give it to my brother. I'm not making that mistake with my eBookwise. I still have plenty of books I can read on the eBookwise. Although if my expansion card dies, I'll be very unhappy as I've heard the cards are more expensive now.

Sometimes an older technology is better for certain things than the new one. I finally got around to buying a laptop, and I love it. But for traveling, I still use the AlphaSmart Dana I bought several years ago because it's lighter, much more durable, and has a better battery life. And if it were lost or stolen, I would be losing something depreciated, not a brand new laptop.

In the same way, in many cases, I'll feel more comfortable dragging the eBookwise along instead of a shiny new Nook. (I know I can put the eBookwise into a book bag and toss the bag onto the seat or into the trunk.) I also like the shape of the eBookwise because while it's heavier, it sort of has a handle thingie. I don't know if they designed in that way on purpose, but it worked out really well.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #23
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I just preordered the Nook, but I'm still going to keep my eBookwise. It has its issues, but then, so did my Dodge Omni. But the Omni was still one of my favorite cars, and I hated having to give it to my brother. I'm not making that mistake with my eBookwise. I still have plenty of books I can read on the eBookwise. Although if my expansion card dies, I'll be very unhappy as I've heard the cards are more expensive now.

Sometimes an older technology is better for certain things than the new one. I finally got around to buying a laptop, and I love it. But for traveling, I still use the AlphaSmart Dana I bought several years ago because it's lighter, much more durable, and has a better battery life. And if it were lost or stolen, I would be losing something depreciated, not a brand new laptop.

In the same way, in many cases, I'll feel more comfortable dragging the eBookwise along instead of a shiny new Nook. (I know I can put the eBookwise into a book bag and toss the bag onto the seat or into the trunk.) I also like the shape of the eBookwise because while it's heavier, it sort of has a handle thingie. I don't know if they designed in that way on purpose, but it worked out really well.

I think the handle was on purpose. I still think that it is one of the best designed ergonomically. Maybe the Pocketbook 360 will be close to equal in that area?

I have to agree teh strudyness is a very good quality!

I would love for my little EB1150 to support epub, but alas that is not going to happen.

I do think it is nice that there are so many new readers coming out. I think it shows that the market is growing!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #24
jbarntt
jbarntt began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
I've never owned an ebook reader, but got interested with the Astak and Sony sub 200 USD offerings. Still a bit pricey though. When the ebookwise reader went to 90 USD, no brainer. I ordered one, haven't got it yet.

Main interest is reading PD stuff on my one hour commute each morning and evening, M-F. Backlit screen should be OK for an hour, 1 lb vs. 1/2 half lb, not a big deal.

Good way to find out if I like ebook readers !
jbarntt is offline   Reply With Quote