Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #61
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDowson View Post
Hi. I got my Iliad this week, ready to take on holiday with me, and I've installed all the books I want, but I would also like a News feed (the BBC one ideally) whilst I'm away, when I can get near a wireless access point.

I've registered with Feedbooks, and subscribed to the BBC news feed. I've downloaded and installed your iNewsStand, and entered the details. When I run it (it is installed in my internal memory, and I have the News set to go there too -- all my books are on CF and all my DOocs are on MMC).

I can run iNewsStand okay, and it says I'm logged in and have "Iliad PDF" format setting. When I select the BBC news feed (the only one listed at present) and click "Sync!" the green LED lights for a few seconds, but the "wireless icon" bottom right never reverses. If I view the Downloads tab it says my BBC feed is "downloading 0%" for a longish time, until I exit and come back, or select "Refresh", when is says "Downloaded".

However, I can never actually find it. If it has downloaded to my Iliad it certainly isn't anywhere recognisable, and I've been through the contentslister in the main menu for internal memory, CF and MMC.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. If you could possibly advise I'd be very grateful. Problem is I'm departing on holiday tomorrow afternoon (Thursday 18th, UK time) so I don't suppose it'll be resolved in time.

Should I try a different format? Iliad PDF seemed to be default for Iliad, but mayne, now you say Mobi and ePub are supported I should try one of those?

Thanks in anticipation.

Pete Dowson
Yes, could you try Mobipocket or another RSS feed maybe ? It might be an issue with the name of the file too.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #62
PeteDowson
PeteDowson began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd Edition 2.12 firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Yes, could you try Mobipocket or another RSS feed maybe ? It might be an issue with the name of the file too.
Wow! You are quick replying!

Thanks. I'll try mobi ... and maybe another feed of interest.

Pete
PeteDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #63
PeteDowson
PeteDowson began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd Edition 2.12 firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I changed my subscriptions to BBC to mobi, and added the iLiad feed as mobi, and, just as a test for PDF, the Sudoku as PDF (not sure how one plays Sudoku on a PDF so this is probably wrong).

I went into iNewStand, and they were all listed straight-away. Great, I thought. So I selected all, and sync!, and it seemed to be busy. I clicked "Downloads" to watch the progress and the application ended and returned me to the Newspapers lister.

I clicked on it to reenter it to see what is going on, but this gave an extra entry on the Main Newspapers listing saying just "iNewstand Error" with a X close button and an empty window. The green LED is still flickering like mad, so I assume it is busy getting my stuff, but I don't understand why i can't see how it is doing.

Should the downloads be visible on the Newspapers listing (that's where I put iNewsStand), or in mobipockets folder?

Anyway I've left it with the green LED still flickering away. Not sure how long to leave it before getting worried.

[EDIT]

Ah, it looks like it might just have been waiting for me to click the X to get rid of the Error window. When I did that it went quiescent again, so I re-ran the iNewsStand. I selected only the two News feeds in Mobi format and "Sync!", and I now see both listed in the Downloads tab, one "Downloading 0%" the other "Waiting ...". I don't know how to tell whether anything is actually happening. The geed LED is just off as is the wireless icon bottom right.

[FURTHER EDIT]
The display is static at "Downloading 0%" and 2Waiting ..." until I clikc "Refresh". Then they both go to "Downloaded". So I think, "good", and clikc Exit.

The BBC file is now there, but it doesn't show in the list till I press "News" again. I haven't yet found the iLiad reader news feed ...

Regards

Pete

Last edited by PeteDowson; 09-17-2008 at 09:19 AM.
PeteDowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #64
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDowson View Post
I changed my subscriptions to BBC to mobi, and added the iLiad feed as mobi, and, just as a test for PDF, the Sudoku as PDF (not sure how one plays Sudoku on a PDF so this is probably wrong).

I went into iNewStand, and they were all listed straight-away. Great, I thought. So I selected all, and sync!, and it seemed to be busy. I clicked "Downloads" to watch the progress and the application ended and returned me to the Newspapers lister.

I clicked on it to reenter it to see what is going on, but this gave an extra entry on the Main Newspapers listing saying just "iNewstand Error" with a X close button and an empty window. The green LED is still flickering like mad, so I assume it is busy getting my stuff, but I don't understand why i can't see how it is doing.

Should the downloads be visible on the Newspapers listing (that's where I put iNewsStand), or in mobipockets folder?

Anyway I've left it with the green LED still flickering away. Not sure how long to leave it before getting worried.

[EDIT]

Ah, it looks like it might just have been waiting for me to click the X to get rid of the Error window. When I did that it went quiescent again, so I re-ran the iNewsStand. I selected only the two News feeds in Mobi format and "Sync!", and I now see both listed in the Downloads tab, one "Downloading 0%" the other "Waiting ...". I don't know how to tell whether anything is actually happening. The geed LED is just off as is the wireless icon bottom right.

[FURTHER EDIT]
The display is static at "Downloading 0%" and 2Waiting ..." until I clikc "Refresh". Then they both go to "Downloaded". So I think, "good", and clikc Exit.

The BBC file is now there, but it doesn't show in the list till I press "News" again. I haven't yet found the iLiad reader news feed ...

Regards

Pete
The default option is to download those RSS feeds to the news folder although you can change this behavior in an XML file (we use the iLiad default settings).
Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 AM   #65
HET2
HET2 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
is the iNewsstand still being developed? I think it is a great application and it would be shame to abandon it. It has been pretty quiet around it lately however.
HET2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #66
grahamd
grahamd began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad Ebook Reader
Unhappy ONE QUICK QUESTION causing lots of frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
This is a release of the iNewsStand application.

I did not program this, it was done by the smart people over at Feedbooks. I simply helped with the porting to the iLiad.

This program allows you download News, Books, Soduku all over a network connection without the use of a PC. I can download books in the Mobipocket, ePub, or custom iLiad PDF formats.

Previous discussion can be found in this thread
I'm almost there...one last problem, my iLiad says it cannot connect to Feedbooks.com. Check connection...

What step am I missing????
grahamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #67
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Is your iLiad using the connection manager to connect to the internet when the program launches?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #68
phabulosa
phabulosa began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad 2nd edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Is your iLiad using the connection manager to connect to the internet when the program launches?
I am experiencing the same problem.
phabulosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #69
grahamd
grahamd began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad Ebook Reader
yes. it connects and confirms the connection first. everything seems to be working except for this error. i hope you can help...... =(
grahamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 AM   #70
dopolo
dopolo began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2nd
Yes,Yes! This is the software that we can use instead of Mobipocket!! Thanks a lot!!
dopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:20 AM   #71
logit
logit began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Just find this application today. It really does a great job. However, can I save my user name and password in iliad and to make it more convenient downloading news feeds?
logit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #72
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Anybody downloading books from Feedbooks?

Hi....

Just polling: I'm thinking about developing a new simple application for the Iliad to browse, select and download books from feedbooks.com. I believe they have about 3000 free books. I plan to program this against the xml api described here: http://feedbooks.com/api

Will people be interested in this or will I be the only user

Greetz, Hansel.

Last edited by hansel; 11-05-2009 at 04:20 PM.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #73
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Sounds interesting but make sure that you're using our Atom (OPDS) feeds, not the deprecated XML.
If you actually design such an application, it'll be compatible with every OPDS feed, not juste Feedbooks (for example the Internet Archive: http://bookserver.archive.org/catalog/).
Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #74
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Adrien,
Thanks for the info (I'm new to this), I'll start by studying the atom interface...
Do you know if many Iliad owners download books form Feedbooks? (personally I like the possibility to set your own pdf page size)

Last edited by hansel; 11-06-2009 at 05:49 AM.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #75
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Adrien,
Thanks for the info (I'm new to this), I'll start by studying the atom interface...
Do you know if many Iliad owners download books form Feedbooks? (personally I like the possibility to set your own pdf page size)
I'm interested!

I personally like the functionality and use of the current Feedbooks.com iLiad app very much! It's the kind of software iRex should have contracted out with partners since they didn't really get the chance to exploit this area! I guess to be fair, from their point of view, if it can't be economically feasible then it won't get done!

But, while you are at it would a Mobileread.com download app be possible using the same framework as Feedbooks.com?

I would like to see this functionality very much as I think the iLiad is severally crippled if it can't just go out and fetch new content. I just wish iRex would allow a non-secure iDS server access to be used so that users can load their own personal content very easily (wirelessly via proxy server - hey calibre has one of those.... ).

I'm willing to assist any way I can (however, not being a linux programmer hampers things a bit for me). I like to hack code already written so perhaps I can tweak things to make them work better...

BTW, I was involved in the effort to allow the Fictionwise/Gemstar devices (EBW1150 and REB1200) to access the internet (via wired connections ) and serve webcontent onto them effortlessly! See the thread on impserve and HOW-TO: Surf the Internet with the EBW1150 or REB1200.

I want the same functionality with the ilIad...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote