Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #91
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I never leave my ereaders without a cover because I'm insanely anal about not having any scratches on my devices. But I'll admit I absolutely detest the covers that have any kind of a flap that gets in the way when the cover is turned back. My covers open like a book, no extra straps, flaps, elastic appendages on them at all to get in the way.

And I don't mind the covers that operate that way at all. None of my ereaders have ever had even the slightest scratch on them. My phones are the same because I keep a good quality screen protector on my phone that doesn't get in the way at all.

If my reader or phone had even a slight scratch, it would annoy me so much that I'd get a new device to replace it. So a cover is pretty necessary to keep the screens in pristine condition.
My two kindles both have covers for when I am carrying them around. That way there is a better chance of not having them break if I should accidentally drop them.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 AM   #92
Wolfrott
Wolfrott began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini / Voyage
I always keep my Kindles in covers. My new Kindle Paperwhite is stored in a Verso" Prologue faux book cover.
Wolfrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 01:16 AM   #93
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrott View Post
I always keep my Kindles in covers. My new Kindle Paperwhite is stored in a Verso" Prologue faux book cover.
I keep mine in the slip case that was part of the prize I won in the 2012-2013 Winter Contest. It's easy to get the reader out of the case when I want to read it and it gives good protection. There is even a rigid piece of plastic between the inner and outer material of the case that gives added protection to the screen.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #94
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Who else hates using covers? I have one for my phone because it cost me $500 but every time I take it off I'm amazed by how my phone feels like a completely different device. It's so light and easy to hold and feels great in my hand.
I have been using my nook Simple Touch with Glowlight without a cover for some months now. It's definitely much nicer to use without a cover.

And if it dies because of it, I'll buy the current best model eReader at a reasonable price at the time. I've seen 6" E-Ink ebook readers for £30 recently!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #95
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I bought a number of covers for various kindles plus a couple sleeves. I don't use any of them now. My kindle has one of the decalgirl stickers just because they are beautiful and I carry my kindle in my bookbag securely tucked in a quilted potholder that I had. Works great and is light and easy to slide my kindle out of.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #96
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
All of my ereaders have covers. I wouldn't think to use them without one. I know myself and sometimes I do drop things occasionally and I would be devastated if I ruined a reader because of something like that. Better safe than sorry.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #97
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My very first e-reader had a cover but after that I stopped getting covers as they make the reader thicker and heavier. What I do use is sheaths or shells or whatever you call those. The reader is protected when I'm not using it and when I decide to read, I take the reader bare in my hands and use it like that.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #98
Aqua-Andy
Aqua-Andy began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
I had a really nice cover for my NST when new but I liked the feeling of the reader without it. I eventually settled on this value minded solution and have been much happier since. My wife does make fun of it as do some other people as well but i think it provides as much or more protection than the high priced specialty products. Bonus: it fits my new Glow Light also.

Well I tried adding photos but it did not work so I will describe it. I used a padded mailing envelope that I had laying around (the kind with a liner of bubble wrap). It was too wide so I cut the envelope down to size and used packing tape to close the cut side back together. After resizing I just stuck some Velcro (which I also had on hand) to the front and back at the top of the now to be Nook sleeve. Then all that was needed to be done was make a Velcro strap to keep it closed, which all this involved was cutting a around a two inch piece of said Velcro of the opposite mating material. Now my Nook sleeve may not be the prettiest thing but it has character (and that is all that really counts). The envelope that I used had some miles on it, so it has remnants of a couple of shipping labels. Now it has some stains and more packing tape to repair the damage one of my dogs had done when he chewed on it. It may not be the most beautiful creation but it does serve the purpose.

Last edited by Aqua-Andy; 01-01-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Aqua-Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #99
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I suppose I could belong to this club. I bought a sleep cover for my Kobo Glo, but unfortunately, I don't really like it. The Kobo is more comfortable to hold and easier to read without it. If I'm going on vacation or something, though, I'll put it in the cover, but if I'm just at home reading, I leave the cover off.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 AM   #100
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I never leave my ereaders without a cover because I'm insanely anal about not having any scratches on my devices. But I'll admit I absolutely detest the covers that have any kind of a flap that gets in the way when the cover is turned back. My covers open like a book, no extra straps, flaps, elastic appendages on them at all to get in the way.
The same here. I just can't stand scratches... I buy a new device and in the same order there will be a cover (never a sleeve!) And a screenprotector (for LCD devices). I even managed a transparent one for my phone (why buy a red one if you cover it up with a non-transparent cover?). I don't mind if the cover is covering the bezel of the device, but I don't want those elastic bands in the corners (like those Oberon covers).

Mg tablet would look like new if I removed its cover and screenprotector....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #101
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I have two kindles and a tablet. I never use cover at home, somehow its uncomfortable to read. However I use covers when I go out.

Only a moron will put their device unprotected into some bag or backpack.

That being said, everyone can make or find basic cover for 10$.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #102
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I went with a case. BookArmor one, for transporting it and storing. For reading it's easy enough to detach when I feel like reading without case. I have destroyed too many cheap ones to not take good care of good one.

Now I need to find decent protective case for my tablet... Quite hard to find one with resonable shipping...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:00 AM   #103
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I had a cover and a sleeve for my Kindle 3, but only used them when carrying it outside. Don't have a cover for my PW, and probably won't bother buying one. I bought a decalgirl skin for it instead (though for the price I felt it should have had a little cushioning effect!), and if needed I'll just use my old Kindle 3 sleeve with a bit of cardboard to protect the screen when taking it anywhere. I generally prefer to hold the Kindle minus a cover, it just detracts from the small & light feeling of the ereader if you bundle it up in a cover.

I do however have the official Sony cover for my PRS 350, and its never removed. It's still small and light enough to do that, I really love it for it's portability and size even with the cover.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 01-04-2014 at 07:02 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote