Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 04:06 AM   #1
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
lbook and v3

Does anyone know the differences between the Lbook and v3? So far as I can surmise the Lbook appears to be available in Russia and Turkey, and I thought the lbook was just a rebadged v3, but some pple have said the lbook has different firmware and hardware? Does anyone know about the differences between these two models?
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
The hardware is essentially the same, as far as I know. There may be a couple of minor differences in the following areas, but not having the ability to compare directly, consider this rumour-level in reliability:
- my lBook as a measly 10 MB of user-accessible internal flash memory, while it looks like other versions of the device may have 64 MB, and there were rumours of a 512 MB version from lBook. They all take SD cards up to 2 GB, though, so this isn't much of an issue.
- AFAIK, the DRM of the WOL-books relies on a smart card containing the identity key. According to the About screen, my unit doesn't have such a smart card installed. I haven't actually looked at the compartment in the device, though.
- there are rumours that at least some of the lBooks have come with a poor quality, cheaper replacement battery instead of the original part.

The firmwares are interchangeable (i.e. you can switch between them without problem) and are very similar/nearly identical, although there are slight differences. The biggest user-visible change I know of is that the Jinke firmware uses their own application to read .txt files, while the lBook firmware uses CoolReader (the application used for .fb2 files). The difference is that the latter can deal with Project Gutenberg files without problems, while the former only gives good results when you reformat the .txt file beforehand.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
- AFAIK, the DRM of the WOL-books relies on a smart card containing the identity key. According to the About screen, my unit doesn't have such a smart card installed. I haven't actually looked at the compartment in the device, though.
Correct.

Both the V2 & the V6 won't start up without the SIM card. (it's identical to the SIM cards used in mobile phones)
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
sankar10
sankar10 began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3
Lbook firmware

I have a hanlin V3 and I wish to try LBOOK firmware which is said to be compatible . However, I am unable to get a download from anywhere. Can anyone guide meor send me a link .Specially I wish to try the freeserif font so much talked about. I am a newbie and would appreciate any help.
sankar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:19 AM   #5
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
The Free Fonts are available here.

The lBook firmware can be downloaded here. Do not, repeat NOT, switch to the English language version of the lBook site. The firmware download pages are not available in English. If you must read all the text there in a language other than the original Russian (or Ukrainian?), use the Google translation tools.

I would recommend the older 08.01.29 update instead of the newer 08.03.18 version, which contained errors when released, and I don't know whether the version currently available fixes those errors.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 AM   #6
sankar10

Thanks Gudy , I have been breaking my head for long and it was as simple as asking you
Old 04-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
Ojier
Forth lover
Ojier began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad / Jinke Hanlin v3
Dear sankar10!
Would you share your experience with us please? Which one do you like better?
Ojier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:47 AM   #8
sankar10

lbook & V3

Dear Ojier,
my personal experience is loob has lesser crashes and faster . but once we switch from one to the other and find better experience , one does not really go back to find out whether the other has made improvement or not . Infact right now I am trying out member Torbich unofficial firmware . I have downloaded the latest today . In the last firmware , I had the satisfaction of getting to read .doc files without getting the file length error. FB2 experience is the best as far as display and choice of fonts are concerned , but when pdf files are converted , I am not able to get images and tables . I have only limited experience . If only one can convert pdf files or other files exactly as they are with images and tables etc, that may be the end of my quest