Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #961
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: I'm betting on what ixtab refers to as 'usual weirdness' .

AFAICT, even the people who got 5.3.6 truly OTA got the exact same build as the one on Amazon's site.

The catalog is known to behave erratically, especially with thumbnails, under certain circumstances. I never had any issues with Kindlet myself, but I did manage to 'break' thumbnails in fun & wonderful ways when I tested the Calibre patch when the PW came out.

Which leads me to, @nasser: Try deleting the Kindlet *from the device itself* (not over USB or SSH), then put it back over USB (in mass storage mode, not SSH/anything else). See if that helps.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-04-2013 at 12:32 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #962
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: I'm betting on what ixtab refers to as 'usual weirdness' .

AFAICT, even the people who got 5.3.6 truly OTA got the exact same build as the one on Amazon's site.
My Bad.
I meant: "Differences in **hardware** builds."
Like a part or engineering change in the board itself.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #963
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@knc1: Oh, right.

Well, can't hurt to check:

Code:
source /etc/upstart/functions && echo "Board $(f_board) @ rev $(f_rev) for platform $(f_platform)"
Old 08-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #964
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@knc1: Oh, right.

Well, can't hurt to check:

Code:
source /etc/upstart/functions && echo "Board $(f_board) @ rev $(f_rev) for platform $(f_platform)"
Ah - -
"We have a button for that." (tm)

Unzip attachment, copy the HardWare directory and sub-directory and contents into */extensions.

Answer:
The one which does not give problems is a Revision 21 board, the one that had the problems with 5.3.6 is a Revision 22 board.

Quote:
Hardware Version Report
Board: celeste
Revision: 22
Platform: yoshime3
NOTE: Button only works on devices that use "upstart".

KUALette moved to its own thread now (and fixed), see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...36&postcount=1

Last edited by knc1; 08-05-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #965
NiLuJe
BLAM!

R21 here, so you may be on to something
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #966
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
R21 here, so you may be on to something
I have two more "junk" Kpw devices here to play with.

One of them a "Demo" that auto-updated itself to a quote="Amazon" "A new demonstration experience."

I.E: Another case of OTA self-destruct I think.
Will get to those other two when I finish playing with this "broken" Paperwhite.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #967
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:
@knc1: ...Which leads me to, @nasser: Try deleting the Kindlet *from the device itself* (not over USB or SSH), then put it back over USB (in mass storage mode, not SSH/anything else). See if that helps.
Did that.. Worked.. Now Kual icon is visible.. Thanks!

Inbetween had installed Collections Manager.. It's icon too visible..
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #968
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The one which does not give problems is a Revision 21 board, the one that had the problems with 5.3.6 is a Revision 22 board.

NOTE: Button only works on devices that use "upstart".
Report from my Kindle PW is identical:
Quote:
Hardware Version Report
Board: celeste
Revision: 22
Platform: yoshime3
..so anything i should worry about..?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #969
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I've got R22... got round to installing 5.3.6 this morning (not OTA) over 5.3.4 and everything is behaving as it should.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #970
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Report from my Kindle PW is identical:

..so anything i should worry about..?
Unknown.

All we can do is gather information at this moment (trouble reports vs. hardware version).

Now if Amazon would share their engineering files with us, we could do something other than guess and speculate.

But you know that isn't going to happen.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #971
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I've got R22... got round to installing 5.3.6 this morning (not OTA) over 5.3.4 and everything is behaving as it should.
Thanks for the report.
One more data point on the "good side".
Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #972
nasser
Evangelist

How to exit back to Kual menu?

When we exit apps executed by a Kual button, we are returned to home screen.
How to make apps exit directly back to Kual menu? Is there a Kual.cfg option?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #973
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
That's generally impossible to do because of how the Kindle handles application launching. IIRC, it is possible for a very small subset of built-in features, like showing the network config, and should already be implemented like that. But in general, it's just not possible.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #974
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
There's a non-suicide option I think now.

Gimme ten minutes

EDIT: OOOoookay I am a bit rusty.
Took me this long to get the device hooked up.
Working on it.

EDIT: And this long to remember to turn on USBNet and to punch a hole in the BBB.

AAAAnnd finally having now read back up on the release notes.

https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/kindlela...ELOG.txt#cl-28

Tells us No suicide json key - "exitmenu":false

So I will give that a quick test

FINAL EDIT:

So yeah.

Code:
{
			"items": [
		{"name": "9 mens Morris", "priority": 1, "action": "bin/morris"}
	]
		}
becomes:

Code:
{
			"items": [
		{"name": "9 mens Morris", "priority": 1, "exitmenu": "false", "action": "bin/morris"}
	]
		}
For that kind of thing.

TESTED AS WORKING
That took an hour? really? dang

Last edited by twobob; 08-07-2013 at 08:04 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #975
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
There's a non-suicide option I think now.
...No suicide json key - "exitmenu":false
Really great.., twobob!

Did a quick check of the json files of all my installed kual buttons..
Found that only usbnet uses the "exitmenu" option..

Will try out adding it to the other buttons..

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified