Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If you live on the East Coast, give full charge to all Kindles Sunday.

If you live on the East Coast of the USA from Virginia up to Maine, give a full charge to all your Kindles on Sunday.

A severe hurricane will hit Sunday night through Monday and many of us may be without power for several days.

Reading eBooks on our Kindles may be our only form of entertainment until the power returns.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
In the possibility of that sort of thing, one of the smart things to have is a usb car charger that has the output to fully charge your reader, or a small inverter that can plug into the car 12v power outlet.

For those of us that have not learned to have a generator set and fuel ready for when mother nature throws a fit. Your car or truck is one of the only options to charge your battery powered devices.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
In the possibility of that sort of thing, one of the smart things to have is a usb car charger that has the output to fully charge your reader, or a small inverter that can plug into the car 12v power outlet.

For those of us that have not learned to have a generator set and fuel ready for when mother nature throws a fit. Your car or truck is one of the only options to charge your battery powered devices.
Amazon has one here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-PowerBo...or+kindle+fire

Unfortunately, even with Prime it won't arrive until after the hurricane.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Amazon has one here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-PowerBo...or+kindle+fire

Unfortunately, even with Prime it won't arrive until after the hurricane.
Yes, I bought the single outlet one by them. They do have the output to charge the fire hd. The only fault I could find is when it is plugged into the socket it is very hard to remove, because it has such a low flat profile and fits the socket very tightly.

I solved the problem by using heavy waxed thread, the kind that comes with a hand sewing awl for canvas or leather. And made a loop that can be used to pull the charger out of the socket. The charger has a ridge that the heavy thread can be tied around the charger and then a loop anchored to that 180° degrees apart from each other. Hard to explain, but the end result is a finger loop that can be used to remove the charger with ease.

Edit: A lot stores have usb car chargers, maybe not heavy enough output for the fire hd, except for slow charging. I see them at gas station/convenience stores in the racks that sell cell phone stuff.

If you look you may find something that will work for you, before the storm hits. Even the chain stores that handle cell phone accessory's should have something that would work.

Something is better that nothing, and having no options when the battery's start dieing. If days without power is in the cards I would find something locally, it may not be perfect, but when in need.....!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 10-26-2012 at 10:52 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post

Very good advice! Those in the path of this storm stay safe! I've been in two hurricanes and that was enough for me! I ran for the mountains. And I am Midwestern gal who has been in too many tornadoes to count. Hurricanes scare me!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
We are in the Allegheny Mountains of central PA and we are preparing for rain of hurricane proportions, or even snow measured in feet. With my large selection e-ink readers all fully charged, I am not worried about running out of reading devices.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
I ordered a new chain for my chainsaw yesterday with Saturday delivery. Today I'll charge my Kindle, get gas for the Generator, install the new chain and then probably spend all week working 17 hour days up poles restoring phone service.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
Lots of great tips in this thread. I compiled some similar tips in a blog post here.

One thought: Don't wait until Sunday to charge your stuff. Can't hurt to get it charged sooner, especially if you live in an area prone to losing power (as I do).
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I got an extended battery for my smartphone and a battery operated radio. I feel those would be more useful to me personally. I do not see myself using the car for charging to tell the truth.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Actually, a good UPS is a pretty good thing to have. You can hook your electronics up to it under normal conditions, giving you protection for them. Then in an extreme case, you can unplug everything, turn it off, and then use it to charge devices or even to power a hot plate for brief periods.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I am charging all Kindles today. I also have a USB car charger too - the Amazon Basics model:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2...988505-3655019

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 10-27-2012 at 11:46 AM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you for the links! Mine are all charged. For everyone in the storm's path - stay safe!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
We picked a generator up at a neighbor's yard sale this morning. It's newer and bigger than our other one. I told them they can come over if we lose power
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you live on the East Coast of the USA from Virginia up to Maine, give a full charge to all your Kindles on Sunday.

A severe hurricane will hit Sunday night through Monday and many of us may be without power for several days.

Reading eBooks on our Kindles may be our only form of entertainment until the power returns.
Done. Also charged up my MacBook and iPad. Really hoping the Internet doesn't go kaput too but I'll have plenty to read anyway.

I bought one of those emergency radios with a flashlight,and weather alerts. It's powered both by batteries and it has a hand crank too. You can charge your cell phone with it as well in a pinch.

Last edited by voracious71; 10-28-2012 at 11:23 PM.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard

I just recovered my power and heat after being down for TWO DAYS. The KFHD7-32 and the PW saved my morale. All I did was read on those two for the time of literal cold and darkness.

Reading in the total dark of night with clouds, wind, rain and no moon was definitely my saving grace.

Luckily, I had both fully charged and ready for the disaster.

Thank you Amazon for getting them both to me in time for the Super Storm.

My KK was also fully charged and ready for action in daylight only. In the dark it was useless but served as a backup to the other two.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-31-2012 at 07:08 PM.