Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH000 View Post
Hello Everyone:

I'm a total noob amateur, and I don't want to threadjack, but my question/problem seems related.

I have a new black K4NT w/ special offers running 4.1.0 and Tequila version 1.0.6.210.

I tried to jailbreak it yesterday by following Yifan method 3.

Initially, I tried to enable diags by creating a text file w/ that name and adding it to the root directory, but this didn't work.

I came across a youtube video that copied the 0 byte "DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR" file, and renamed it "ENABLE_DIAGS" to enter diagnostics. I did this: I successfully entered diagnostics.

Aside from this deviation, I've followed steps 1 - 14 exactly.

Unfortunately, when I try to exit diags (per step 14), I receive a "device_info.xml not found" message, and can't exit.

I feel like a total idiot, and would sincerely appreciate any advice anyone could offer.
If running windows, you may have created ENABLE_DIAGS.txt (or some other hidden file extension). It helps a LOT if you tell windows to NOT hide file extensions.

The second "deviation" is a hacky workaround for windows not showing file extensions.

I just answered a question about the "device_info.xml not found" in another thread yesterday:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2222554
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #32
JSH000
JSH000 began at the beginning.

Device: K4B w/ SO ($69), 4.1.0
Thank you--I really appreciate your response.

I'd followed that instruction previously, and had reset the device multiple times, but foolishly forgot to try exiting diags again.

Is the data.tar.gz file I tried to use incompatible with my device?
JSH000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #33
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A kindle sitting in diagnostics too long can drain the battery. Be sure to recharge it.

I do not have a new $69 kindle (it is being called K4B in the parent forum) so I do not know about data.tar.gz problems. You could try installing it with both data.tar.gz and ENABLE_DIAGS, to see if it installs when you boot to diags. That worked 5.1.0 firmware. But now 5.1.2 needs a different method that uses a .stgz file instead, I think. Search the forums and/or index wikis for details.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-15-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #34
JSH000
JSH000 began at the beginning.

Device: K4B w/ SO ($69), 4.1.0
Thanks again for your assistance, guys. I truly appreciate it.
JSH000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #35
geekmaster

@NiLuJe, ixtab: is it time to reveal my "secret" jailbreak (that I previously shared with you guys in a PM) for the new K4B? It can run code without modifying anything. Just drop two files on the USB Drive, then launch a diags SSH shell the old K4 way. We need to test it on the new diags firmware...

I will put a test together and ask somebody to run it and post its output to the forum, if we decide it is time to burn this "sploit".
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #36
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster: I'm pretty sure (cf. the OP) the JB still works (granted, the two reboots method, but still).

The problem is mostly that the doc/files are completely wrong/outdated on the WiKi for FW 4.1.0 right now .

The second problem is that none of us *have* a K4B, and very few of us had a K4S, simply because it's not a very interesting device for our purposes (and we don't have unlimited funds to throw at Amazon for fun ^^). And since most of us prefer to actually write doc for stuff we're sure about/can test/debug, the K4 wiki never took off, and is now in a pretty sorry state.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-15-2012 at 11:34 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #37
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The second problem is that none of us *have* a K4B, and very few of us had a K4S, simply because it's not a very interesting device for our purposes (and we don't have unlimited funds to throw at Amazon for fun ^^).
Yes, although the cheaper devices may be more popular in the parent forum, perhaps a strong "technolust" tends to attract developers to the more "powerful" devices.

P.S. I have two K4S units, and a K4S Demo, so I am one of those "very few". But I STILL spend more time with my K3 and K5 units (more interesting).

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-15-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #38
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@geekmaster: Yeah, I'm not throwing the K4 out the window, for the price, it's a *very* interesting device for a large part of the market . But for some of us, especially when you already have a K3, the 'higher-end' models are definitely more attractive .

To get back on topic: You mentioned the 5.1.x changes for the data.tar.gz method. Unfortunately, not applicable on 4.1.x: they 'fixed' it in another way than on the Touch :/. (Basically, forget data.tar.gz on main on FW 4.1.0).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-15-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #39
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
... You mentioned the 5.1.x changes for the data.tar.gz method. Unfortunately, not applicable on the K4: they 'fixed' it in another way than on the Touch :/.
Can data.tar.tg "unpack" the missing /usr/local "dropbear" files when booting from diags?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #40
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@geekmaster: Probably, although they may not survive the reboot, like on some 5.1.x diags .

But then, since data.tar.gz works on diags, 99% of the interest is to just jailbreak main from there, SSH on diags is a nice 'bonus', but not a lot of people really care/need it.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #41
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
@NiLuJe, ixtab: is it time to reveal my "secret" jailbreak (that I previously shared with you guys in a PM) for the new K4B? It can run code without modifying anything. Just drop two files on the USB Drive, then launch a diags SSH shell the old K4 way. We need to test it on the new diags firmware...

I will put a test together and ask somebody to run it and post its output to the forum, if we decide it is time to burn this "sploit".
As NiLuJe said, there seem to be other methods that are still working, to install the jailbreak.

I say: don't burn it just yet, we may need it for the KPW
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #42
obidan
obidan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT 4.1.0
@cinnagingercat Can I get a how-to to get dropbear installed on the new black kindle? I have:
serial B023.....
Tequila 1.0.6.210
FW 4.1.0

I do not understand how to get terminal access to the kindle if I don't have sshd running.

Edit 1: every time I try using a data.tar.gz (even one uploaded 2012/10/17) I get "Kindle B023 is not supported..." What are the alternate methods for jailbreaking and getting dropbear installed?

Please help. This was *sooo* much easier on my other kindle same unit but grey with Tequila 1.0.6.194 Is it not possible to just flash it with that diags image and move on with my life?

Last edited by obidan; 11-03-2012 at 01:45 AM.
obidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #43
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@obidan: Wiki.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #44
metalgearslug
metalgearslug began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
I know this is digging up an oldish thread but i keep getting an error message which says "waveform check failed waveform to use: built-in" any ideas? I am baffled by this! I get it when i try to exit diagnostics.

Last edited by metalgearslug; 12-20-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: missed vital information!
metalgearslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #45
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
don't you have to create some file to exit?
or run some test that creates it for you?

I think that is the case on the touch diagnostic_log.xml or something?? I dont recall the full details. its a total guess I dont have a 4.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote