Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
bluetooth ipad keyboard

I want to buy a keyboard for my ipad. I think a bluetooth one would work best for me. Has anyone used these? Which one would you recommend?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
I want to buy a keyboard for my ipad. I think a bluetooth one would work best for me. Has anyone used these? Which one would you recommend?
I've got the standard Apple Wireless Keyboard. That works fine.

I'm sure there's cheaper ways to go though - (the camera connector and a standard USB keyboard???)
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #3
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
I'm sure there's cheaper ways to go though - (the camera connector and a standard USB keyboard???)
That's what I use. Though I did already have a basic USB keyboard at my disposal (Fancier ones may draw more power than the adapter can supply). And of course the camera connection kit itself is $30.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
km45
km45 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I have the Apple wireless keyboard, the thin aluminum one. I'm not really happy with it, it is too low to be comfortable but it is better than the onscreen kb. I bought it primarily for the laptop (MBP) but rarely use it there.

I also have the iPad keyboard/dock. It's difficult getting the iPad into it when it's in the sleeve and also limits you to portrait orientation. Again, it's lower than what I'm used to.

Ken
km45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
If I were to get an iPad this would be the keyboard for me.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
Thanks for that link, notsure. The Zaggmate case looks like a really good idea. I'm going to hunt one down.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
unfortunately not every BT keyboard works.

The curent one by Apple does. Also there is one by Microsoft.

The first Apple BT Keyboard (the white one) does not work! I have it unfortunately ...

As for using the camera connection kit. Using a keyboard before the 4.2.1 update worked, but you got a warning. Apparently Apple changed some specification in 4.2.1 and now even some cameras are not supported with the camera connection kit!

So be sure you try it out (or order online so you can send it back in case its not supported)
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
The lip on the case would make using the keyboard uncomfortable.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
As for using the camera connection kit. Using a keyboard before the 4.2.1 update worked, but you got a warning. Apparently Apple changed some specification in 4.2.1 and now even some cameras are not supported with the camera connection kit!
What they did was lower the maximum amperage that could be supplied to attached USB devices; From 100mA to just 20mA. My Belkin continues to works just fine in 4.2.1, but I guess the number of keyboards that do has been significantly reduced. You can probably still run a powered hub in-between the two however.

Last edited by Dylrob; 12-10-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
artemisblossom:

I've got the ZaggMate keyboard and I can't recommend it enough. I prefer to use my iPad "naked" and this case/keyboard combo is ideal for me. I've got the case to protect the front of the iPad when it's in my book bag, yet I can use it without a case when I want.

I, too, thought the front lip would bother me. But, it doesn't. I usually type with my hands up (as if using a piano), but even when I rest my hands on the table/case, I'm not bothered.

Huge difference using a keyboard versus the flat no-feedback keyboard on the iPad!

I'm sure the other keyboards are great too - but I am thrilled with my case/keyboard combo.

Good luck on your search.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you for all the replies I think I am going to try the zaggmate one . I am a little concerned about the lip but I am willing to try it out and see how comfortable it is for me.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:58 AM   #12
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
artemisblossum, so how do you like the zaggmate keyboard/case? I just ordered an ipad and now need to decide what to do for a keyboard and a case.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
artemisblossom
Groupie

Hi Unboggling I am sorry to say I have not been able to find a zaggmate case in Canada, but I am still looking. There is an interesting and extensive thread about this keyboard over at the ipad forum, you might want to check it out. It would appear that the product is very well made and there is excellent customer service.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Thanks, I'll go there.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Ive got the Zaggmate with keyboard myself.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote