Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #76
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I realize that, (DOH!) just seemed like we were gradually whirlpooling into aimless arguments....
There's nothing wrong with a discussion; an argument, however is something else.

It seems to me that in discussing the possible books and their potential for placement, a natural ougrowth of that decision is to define what we mean so that good decisions can be made. To me, this is a natural organic process, whereby the Community decides what is appropriate for certain terms. To my way of thinking, this is not only a natural process (as mentioned), but a healthy process as well.

Don
Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #77
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
There's nothing wrong with a discussion; an argument, however is something else.

It seems to me, that in discussing the possible books and their potential for placement, that a natural discussion that helps to define the characteristics for the January book is a natural outcome of those decisions that Readers make in choosing that which the community feels is appropriate.

Don
'sigh.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #78
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
'sigh.

Let me emphasize that that was my personal opinion and not as a Moderator. (I apologize for not making that clear.)

...so anyone can certainly feel free to disagree with me.

Don
Old 01-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #79
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Let me emphasize that that was my personal opinion and not as a Moderator. (I apologize for not making that clear.)

Don
Oh we will

I think let's just nominate what we want and if someone has a case against it they can post what they have to say

Which pretty much reiterates exactly what you just said...
Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #80
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

...ok...

Now, let me try to "sell" you Prague, by Arthur Phillips. One more vote is needed to put him on the ballot.

He won The Los Angeles Times/Art Seidenbaum Award for Best First Fiction for Prague in 2003.

You may know him if you watched Jeopardy in 1997, as he was a five-time champion then.

A wonderful book by him is The Egyptologist.

Vote for Arthur Phillips, and I'll never assemble again a book on cabbages and cauliflowers. You have been warned....

Don
Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #81
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
...ok...

Now, let me try to "sell" you Prague, by Arthur Phillips. One more vote is needed to put him on the ballot.

He won The Los Angeles Times/Art Seidenbaum Award for Best First Fiction for Prague in 2003.

You may know him if you watched Jeopardy in 1997, as he was a five-time champion then.

A wonderful book by him is The Egyptologist.

Vote for Arthur Phillips, and I'll never assemble again a book on cabbages and cauliflowers. You have been warned....

Don

So now we're at two, and I REALLY want to read it
Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #82
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:

Don
That's an incentive NOT to vote for him
Old 01-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #83
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Don
oh, sure, and the next thing you know, your karma is at a minus level! I've heard all about the powers you "Mods" have.........

Which is another reason "Down and out in the Magic Kingdom should be read......the Karma thing. Awesome, and wish it could be implemented.......
Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #84
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
=X= has kindly contacted me to tell me about this thread -- sorry I have been neglecting MR of late, but I have been overwhelmed with work and various other stuff.

In my reply to him I said: "Obviously I can't enforce any payment at all for my ebooks. The usual deal is as you know -- people are asked to pay only if they enjoy them. In the case of the MR reading group, I'll happily waive that condition for anyone who reads Refuge just for the purposes of the group. Who knows, if they like that book they might try the others!"

I won't nominate this book myself, of course, and will come back tomorrow (it's nearly midnight now in England) to read the thread in full and maybe make a nomination myself.
I'll second Refuge. I already have it downloaded and in my Current reading collection.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #85
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
I'll second Refuge. I already have it downloaded and in my Current reading collection.
Actually, that is a 4th or 5th. It is already on the list. See message 1 in this thread.

BOb
Old 01-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #86
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Which is another reason "Down and out in the Magic Kingdom should be read......the Karma thing. Awesome, and wish it could be implemented.......
Isn't it SF? I thought we'd said "no SF or fantasy" for this month?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #87
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I'm keen to read Prague -- so I will 'third' it.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #88
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I'm keen to read Prague -- so I will 'third' it.

Thank you!

BOb:
Prague, by Arthur Phillips, now has the necessary three votes.

Don
Old 01-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #89
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Prague, by Arthur Phillips, now has the necessary three votes.
Anyone have a good abstract?

BOb
Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #90
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't it SF? I thought we'd said "no SF or fantasy" for this month?
Opps... I guess it could be put in that Genre. I think this could also be called Cyberpunk. But, since its in we'll leave it. They story is contemporary enough.

BOb
Closed Thread