Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Tarawa
Tarawa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thinking about buying this device

I want to replace my old aging sony cleo (something like that) palm based PDA, all I use it for is reading ebooks, I'm wondering tho, can the PRS700 read/decode ebooks bought from ereader.com, they're *.pdb files, and are locked to the credit card info from the site.

Thanks
Tarawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
In a few words. No.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
This thread succinctly sums up why I hate DRM.

Whatever reader I have now, no matter how cutting edge, one day (and maybe not that too far off) it will be obsolete. I buy ebooks to last. I may not want to re-read an ebook next year, it may not be 10 years until I pick it up again. How can I be sure that it will still be compatible with my favoured device then? And for this publishers expect us to pay the same or sometimes more than for a p-book. Come on - who are they kidding?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
JayBoy
JayBoy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-700
I agree with ShellShock. If they are going use Drm atleast standardize it to a few file types that they can support on an ongoing basis, instead of a bunch of here-today-gone-tomorrow experimental file types.
JayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Ideally standardise on something like Microsoft's .lit format so that it works for everyone. But I don't see it happening because there are too many luddites involved. Many of whom would like to stop you selling your books second hand and see this as the ideal opportunity to have another go, and add back the clickwrap licenses that have been struck down in most legal systems.

My approach is just to refuse to buy DRM'd books that I can't remove the DRM from.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
This thread succinctly sums up why I hate DRM.

Whatever reader I have now, no matter how cutting edge, one day (and maybe not that too far off) it will be obsolete. I buy ebooks to last. I may not want to re-read an ebook next year, it may not be 10 years until I pick it up again. How can I be sure that it will still be compatible with my favoured device then? And for this publishers expect us to pay the same or sometimes more than for a p-book. Come on - who are they kidding?
This has nothing to do with DRM - it's simply a matter of differing, incompatible file formats.

It's no different to many other fields. If you buy an lens for a Nikon camera, and in 5 years time you go out and buy a Canon camera, you won't be able to use your Nikon lens with the Canon camera.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This has nothing to do with DRM - it's simply a matter of differing, incompatible file formats.

It's no different to many other fields. If you buy an lens for a Nikon camera, and in 5 years time you go out and buy a Canon camera, you won't be able to use your Nikon lens with the Canon camera.
I don't think your analogy rings true - an e-book replaces a p-book. A p-book is still perfectly usable after 10 years, but an e-book may not be, because of lack of standardisation on file and DRM formats.

To use your camera analogy, I would expect the pictures produced by a digital camera to still be viewable after 10 years.

Also, if I buy a cover light for my PRS505, and in 5 years time I go out and buy a PlasticLogic reader, I would not expect to be able to use my Sony cover light with my PlasticLogic reader. But I would expect the media (ebooks/pictures) used by the device (reader/camera) to still be accessible. If fact most digital cameras will happily load pictures taken on other cameras (e.g., using jpeg format). You cannot say the same about e-Readers.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Also, if I buy a cover light for my PRS505, and in 5 years time I go out and buy a PlasticLogic reader, I would not expect to be able to use my Sony cover light with my PlasticLogic reader. But I would expect the media (ebooks/pictures) used by the device (reader/camera) to still be accessible. If fact most digital cameras will happily load pictures taken on other cameras (e.g., using jpeg format). You cannot say the same about e-Readers.
You have a reasonable chance of "longevity" if you stick with popular file formats. Eg, MobiPocket format books are readable by every eInk device on the market (with the exception of the Sony Reader), so if you stick with Mobi format (as I made the decision to a while ago) you have a wide choice of devices on which to read your books. I don't know what I'll be reading my books on in 10 years time, but I'm confident that I'll be able to get a device which will read MobiPocket books.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
It has everything to do with DRM. Incompatibel file formats can be converted to each other. DRM stop this in many cases.

Quote:
I think you can do that. You can buy a converter so you can use a Nikon lens in a Canon camera. It there was some key to unlock the Nikon lens that would not have been possible. So the fact that the lens is DRM free makes it usable on the Canon camera.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think you can do that. You can buy a converter so you can use a Nikon lens in a Canon camera. It there was some key to unlock the Nikon lens that would not have been possible. So the fact that the lens is DRM free makes it usable on the Canon camera.
With simple mechanical lenses you can get a converter. Most modern lenses, though, are full of sophisticated electronics (the equivalent of "DRM", if you like ) and will only work with their original brand of device.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarawa View Post
I'm wondering tho, can the PRS700 read/decode ebooks bought from ereader.com, they're *.pdb files, and are locked to the credit card info from the site.
There is currently no EInk device that supports eReader ebooks. However, if you are willing to crack the DRM encryption, the script ereader2html.py will convert these to DRM-free HTML plus images. Then you can use Calibre to convert to an ebook (ePub or LRF) for the PRS700, or MobiPocket Reader (among others) to convert to MOBI for almost any non-Sony EInk Reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
With simple mechanical lenses you can get a converter. Most modern lenses, though, are full of sophisticated electronics (the equivalent of "DRM", if you like ) and will only work with their original brand of device.
It seems to work somewhat with modern lenses also. See e.g.:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/roxsen-converter.htm
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hmmm. I'm not sure I'd risk it. Too much chance of destroying a $1000 lens . Interesting article, though - thanks for the link.