Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
S411il
S411il began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Help with extracting pdf file

Hi, new to the forum so excuses if I've posted in the wrong place.

I need help extracting a pdf file from an ipad to my computer. Basically, a few months ago I enrolled onto a distance learning course at Oxford college. What I didn't know was that the course materials can be only viewed online and am having trouble sitting at my computer for hours to study. Anyway, they offer a download link to the pdf files which is a link sent through email and is drm protected for which I have to pay a fee of £25. However it only works on ipad or kindle hd. I have a kindle paperwhite. I tried asking them to send it to me through email instead so I can convert it but they are not very helpful. I haven't yet paid for the download link and have been told it can only be downloaded once and "attaches" itself to one device. I've been thinking if I purchase and download it on my brothers ipad is there anyway to rip it from the device and convert it on my computer to transfer into my kindle paperwhite?

Also is there another way which I can rip it from my online account? It's the same and runs as some kind of flash pdf file which is unprintable.

If I purchase paper versions of the material it will cost me £65 which I ind quote extortionate as I had to pay over £400 fees just to enrol on my course! Anyway I don't mind paying the £25 fees if anyone can explain if it's possible for me to get the files onto my kindle. Many thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
You can take screenshots, online using PC or tablet if it is free or in downloaded pdf and then transfer those screenshots(as pdf) to your other device.

http://gadwin-printscreen.en.softonic.com

Last edited by markom; 01-28-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
S411il

Hi,

Thanks for the advice but I'm afraid there are about 500+ pages online and if I screenshot all of them one by one there is still the hassle of cropping them all. And as I explained I don't have the file downloaded I am planning to purchase it but will be given a link through email to which I can only download it onto an ipad or kindle hd once. Which is why I wanted to know if there was a way to rip it from the ipad if I do go ahead and pay for the file.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
S411il

Hi, I missed the link you provided on your post! Will give that program a try as soon as I get home, thank you very much!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by S411il View Post
Hi, I missed the link you provided on your post! Will give that program a try as soon as I get home, thank you very much!
You can also crop pdfs quickly and easily using Briss or Pdfscissors.

http://briss.sourceforge.net

http://www.pdfscissors.com

and then if needed optimize it for 6" or 10" e-ink readers using k2pdfopt

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Last edited by markom; 01-28-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It seems to me that if it is really a pdf file, you should be able to do anything you want with it.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
S411il

Well when I view it online it is some kind of flash based pdf. I think it's called flexpaper protection. If I purchase the pdf files for ebook I've been told they are drm protected and can only be downloaded to one device through a link?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Well when I view it online it is some kind of flash based pdf. I think it's called flexpaper protection. If I purchase the pdf files for ebook I've been told they are drm protected and can only be downloaded to one device through a link?
Is it purchased as a Kindle textbook? i.e. you may be able to find it in the Kindle Store. It will only be available for certain devices, but you can DeDRM and extract the PDF from Kindle Print Replica books.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
S411il

I'm not too sure all I've been told is after I pay I get link sent to me which I can only download on a kindle hd or ipad and that the pdf file
Is drm protected and will "attach" itself to that device and there is ok way to download another copy. My brother has an ipad which I was thinking of downloading the file to could you please explain how I can get this onto my computer? That way I can convert it and put it into my kindle paperwhite.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
S411il

I believe it is some kind of download link from a unknown host. This is the the link to the page where it is purchasable.

http://shop.oxfordcollege.ac/merchan...als-p-898.html
Old 01-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
S411il

Very sorry for the triple post but I wanted to show an email I received from them:

Thank you for your email. In regards to your question, the PDF course materials are DRM protected and can't be used on a Kindle paper white, as my colleague had stated. It is important to note that the PDF can't be printed off and that the PDF attaches itself to one electronic device.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Very sorry for the triple post but I wanted to show an email I received from them:

Thank you for your email. In regards to your question, the PDF course materials are DRM protected and can't be used on a Kindle paper white, as my colleague had stated. It is important to note that the PDF can't be printed off and that the PDF attaches itself to one electronic device.
According to the link you posted just before, it just says it can only be read on the Kindle Fire.

The email seems to imply that it will only work on ONE Kindle Fire, which seems both counterproductive and difficult. I could see them using a claim link of some kind to give you the book in your Kindle Cloud (but it would still be downloadable only to the Fire) and it would use the Kindle platform to secure the book, but am at a loss to see how they'd protect it if it was a simple downloaded PDF.

So I have no idea what is up with this. You can try to clarify whether you get it as a Kindle Print Replica Textbook in the Amazon platform, and are allowed read it on any Kindle Fire connected to your account. If so, then you could get the .azw4 (Print Replica) book in the PC app (PC app is supported for Print Replica) and DeDRM it, then you will have a regular PDF. Maybe they are trying to make it "simple" for people by telling them it only works for the Fire. Maybe they have some way of encrypting it for only the Kindle Fire you download on (even without knowing which Fire that is, or having a DRM platform installed on it). Maybe they will give you an app with an embedded PDF? In which case it makes sense you can only read it on one device.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
S411il

I've been told it works on ipad as well. Would I be able to use the print replica if I download it onto an ipad?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Discussions of techniques for DRM circumvention are prohibited.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread