Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
silverzhao
Enthusiast
silverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch doesn't respect LC_TIME?

My Kindle Touch is 5.3.2.1. I want to set its clock format from 12- to 24-hour format.

From the wiki here I know to change LANG=en_GB.utf8 may do this work.

But AFAIK, it is LC_TIME that controls what format date should use. So I change /var/local/system/locale like this:
Code:
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_TIME=en_GB.utf8
LC_ALL=
then I restart Kindle. However, it doesn't work. It still shows like 1:00 PM. But I"m sure that LC_TIME has been changed to en_GB.utf8 through
Code:
# locale
So what's wrong here? How could I change the clock format but not language setting? Thank you!
silverzhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
You could go to the settings menu and change the language from en-US to en-GB
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Time formatting in title bar is handled completely by JavaScript code at /usr/share/webkit-.0/pillow/javascripts/default_status_bar.js. It relies on (non-standard?) DateTimeFormat object accessible from JavaScript and provided by Kindle's WebKitGTK library. Object constructor has following signature:
Code:
/**
 * Creates an instance of DateTimeFormat object.
 * @constructor
 * @param {string} format Datetime format (at least, "short-time" is recognized).
 * @param {string=} timeZone Optional time zone for converting current time (at least, "GMT" is recognized).
 */
function DateTimeFormat(format, timeZone) { /* ... */ }
Formatting code uses format method of this object, which expects standard JavaScript Date object as parameter.

I believe, DateTimeFormat object forwards formatting requests to ICU library object created by DateFormat::createDateTimeInstance function.

It's possible to change time format independently of current locale with runtime replacing of DateTimeFormat object by executing following command:
Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pillow interrogatePillow '{"pillowId": "default_status_bar", "function": "DateTimeFormatter = {\"format\": function(date){return date.getHours()+\":\"+date.getMinutes();}}; StatusBar.clock.update();"}'
(It will change time format to 24-hour and will work only until Pillow restart or full reboot).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
silverzhao
Enthusiast
silverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Time formatting in title bar is handled completely by JavaScript code at /usr/share/webkit-.0/pillow/javascripts/default_status_bar.js. It relies on (non-standard?) ...
Thank you! It's very helpful! I'll have a try.
silverzhao is offline   Reply With Quote