Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-23-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Tor.com's Freebies Bonanza - get'em now!

Laying bored on the beach? Need a good read? Here we go... all of Tor's freebie novels listed on one page in various DRM-free formats, ready for immediate consumption.

Quote:
Now that the life of our doughty little holding page is drawing to a close (shed a tear), we thought we'd make everything we gave away there--all the novels, all of the desktop wallpaper--available for one additional week, starting today and running through Sunday, July 27.

Source: Tor.com
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
PDF || HTML || HTML zip || Mobi

Old Man’s War by John Scalzi

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

Farthing by Jo Walton

The Outstretched Shadow by Mercedies Lackey & James Mallory

Crystal Rain by Tobias Buckell

Lord of the Isles by David Drake

Through Wolf's Eyes by Jane Lindskold

The Disunited States of America by Harry Turtledove

Reiffen's Choice by S.C. Butler

Sun of Suns by Karl Schroeder

Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest

Spirit Gate by Kate Elliot

Starfish by Peter Watts

Touch of Evil by C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp

A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham

Orphans of Chaos by John Wright

In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker

In the Midnight Hour by Patti O'Shea

Battlestar Galactica by Jeffrey A. Carver

Flash by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

Soul by Tobsha Learner

Darkness of the Light by Peter David

Three Shadows by Cyril Pedrosa
PDF || ePub
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Thanks for the compiled links TadW...
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I do not understand where people find the time to "acquire" and read pirated books. I cannot even keep up with the legitimately free stuff. Its like a rich relative died and left me a library.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Thanks a lot TadW; there are some of those that I was intending to read and didn't noticed they were there. Also, thanks to the Tor guys for doing this to make us broaden our personal "I-like-this-writer" list .
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
Which would be the best format to get for the Sony Reader to convert?
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I do not understand where people find the time to "acquire" and read pirated books. I cannot even keep up with the legitimately free stuff. Its like a rich relative died and left me a library.
I think they find time to acquire them, but not to read them - it's like shopaholics, they buy and buy and buy and like shopping, not using the stuff. Similarly some people gather in their collections every pirated book they can find on Darknet, and end up never reading any of them.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
Ouch, I've subscribed to this event and didn't get any one notification :-(. So, thank you, TadW for this news.
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snassek View Post
Which would be the best format to get for the Sony Reader to convert?
Get the HTML version and convert with Calibre.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
[true colours]
arrr, arrr, arrr, I've added them all to my COLLECTION. Now to find time to read them.
[/true colours]

Thanks for all the links; one-stop shopping at its best!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
bob315
Enthusiast
bob315 began at the beginning.

This looks great, but I'm having difficulty actually getting the books to open. I have downloaded 4 books in mobi format to my Mac and transferred them across the USB cable to my Kindle. When I try to open them on the Kindle, I get "Unexpected error."

Any ideas what might need to be done? FWIW, I got a couple of Baen books the same way recently and they opened without a hitch.
bob315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
And what would be the best format for a Windows mobile pc(an iPaq in particular)?
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
bob315
Enthusiast
bob315 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob315 View Post
Any ideas what might need to be done?
Hmm... Still don't know what caused the error, but restarting the Kindle cleared it up.
bob315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
And what would be the best format for a Windows mobile pc(an iPaq in particular)?
That depends. Can it deal with HTML or Mobipocket formats?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Thanks for this list! I subscribed as soon as I heard about Tor's generous offer, but missed a few of the early ones. Now my list is complete.

I haven't used Calibre but for my Sony Reader, I download in html and use the Word template I set up (according to Sony's instructions) for creating a PDF that's formated for the Reader's screen. So far, it has worked nicely and doesn't take too long. (It's not set up for batch files, though, so I'm sure there are faster ways out there to convert a lot of books at one time.)

Html seemed the most versatile format to me, since I could easily reformat it to fit whatever device I wanted to read the ebook on.

Last edited by Studio717; 07-23-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Added a graf.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I would highly recommend Calibre. It will make your Reader even more attractive. And if having proper page breaks matters to you, only the .mobi version converts with proper page breaks in Calibre, btw.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!