Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
Verix
Verix began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for 4:3 windows tablet

Used this forum for research a lot, first time poster.

I am searching for a 4:3, ipad-size windows tablet, and I'm not finding much.
So far I found most windows tablets to be 16:9.. since I'm going to do a lot of reading I believe 4:3 is my best bet. A high resolution screen would be favorable, too. iPad specs are ideal.. but I also want to be able to run windows applications. There's the current Samsung slate which offers a lot, but is 16:9.

Then there's the upcoming windows 8 tablets which should at least have a couple of manufacturers that offer 4:3 options. Problem is that I'd ideally want to buy my tablet around the end of September, mid October tops for the start of the new academic year here.

Anyone has any advice? Thanks in advance.
Verix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd honestly advise you to get a cheap laptop to take you through the first part of the academic year, then get a proper Windows 8 tablet when they appear. This isn't the right time to be buying a Windows tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd honestly advise you to get a cheap laptop to take you through the first part of the academic year, then get a proper Windows 8 tablet when they appear. This isn't the right time to be buying a Windows tablet.
Or a convertible to get a bit of both.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with Harry here. Using Windows without the Metro UI that will come with Windows 8 is really kludgy at best. Even with Windows 8 I am not sure how well it will work since not all of the windows apps necessarily have been updated to work with fingers.

If you need a tablet, think long and hard about how important the windows apps you want to run are and whether there are alternatives for iOS or Android.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
lovercase
lovercase has exceeded all limitations known to mankindlovercase has exceeded all limitations known to mankindlovercase has exceeded all limitations known to mankindlovercase has exceeded all limitations known to mankindlovercase has exceeded all limitations known to mankindlovercase has exceeded all limitations known to mankindlovercase has exceeded all limitations known to mankindlovercase has exceeded all limitations known to mankindlovercase has exceeded all limitations known to mankindlovercase has exceeded all limitations known to mankindlovercase has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: none
Just wait for the perfection!
lovercase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4:3, ipad, windows tablet