Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Device: Prs 350
Sony "Reader Library" software is cactus!

The Sony "Reader Library" software that came with my PRS-350, which I have used to manage my ebooks on my computer, and transfer them to my reader, has suddenly stopped working completely. All of the books in "My Library" on my computer have disappeared, and whenever I try to add a book to "My Library", the software freezes comletely. I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled it, rebooted my computer several times, but nothing fixes the problem. Reader Library is cactus! I have switched to Calibre to manage my ebooks and my reader. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the Reader Library software?
skypilotpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotpete View Post
Reader Library is cactus!
Surprisingly, the first few pages of google didn't help me here, but eventually I came across the "Australian Slang" page at koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html. From the context of the above post, I was guessing "crap" but it seems "cactus" is more akin to "kaput". I am thankful to learn something new every day. And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
The normal fix for Reader Library is to delete the two folder in the User section (Win 7 and Vista), under Documents and Settings in earlier versions.

You may have to enable seeing Hidden Files and folders.

You are looking for a folder called kinoma and a folder called Sony Corporation.

Here is more detailed instructions:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=111
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
Surprisingly, the first few pages of google didn't help me here, but eventually I came across the "Australian Slang" page at koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html. From the context of the above post, I was guessing "crap" but it seems "cactus" is more akin to "kaput". I am thankful to learn something new every day. And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Lol as soon as I saw the thread title I went OhOh fellow aussie in trouble click
Unfortunatly I'm not much help I've never had an issue with my reader and the software, although really I only use the software to open acsm files ect then everything gets put in to calibre, which I then use to talk to the reader. So the sony software really doesn't get much use from me.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your answers. I wondered if I would get any reaction to my use of "cactus", and it is gratifying that it was noticed and responded to.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Hi,

I can't get the Reader Software to give me an online account! I love the T1, just got it last week, and have been testing it. It works fine... but then I installed the software cos I wanted my library books too. Sigh, I have tried three times to sign in for the online acct, but the Reader Software sez I don't have an acct and to make one. Maybe I should get the upgrade I've heard for it? At least I luv the reader. If it's possible to use ADE for the library books, I'd like to know, ok?
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by idraw22 View Post
If it's possible to use ADE for the library books, I'd like to know, ok?
It is. That's what I use.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #8
skypilotpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
The normal fix for Reader Library is to delete the two folder in the User section (Win 7 and Vista), under Documents and Settings in earlier versions.

You are looking for a folder called kinoma and a folder called Sony Corporation.
Thanks, this has got Reader Library going again, but now I have another issue with it. Reader Library does not seem to be reading the tags correctly. I have one book, which originally had the Title and Author tags switched. So I edited the tags in Calilbre, and now as far as Calibre is concerned, the Author and Title are correct. However, Sony Reader Library still reads the Title as the Author and the Author as the Title.

I have edited the tags in Calibre, closed it down to make sure it is saved. Then I've reopened it in Calibre to check that the tags are still correct. Then I've closed it again, opened Reader Library, and then added the book, from the Calibre folder, to Reader Library - but it still doesn't read the tags correctly.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Where is Reader Library getting the incorrect tags from? (I've converted the book from epub to lrf, and RL sees the incorrect tags in both versions.)

Sony PRS-350
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotpete View Post
Thanks, this has got Reader Library going again, but now I have another issue with it. Reader Library does not seem to be reading the tags correctly. I have one book, which originally had the Title and Author tags switched. So I edited the tags in Calilbre, and now as far as Calibre is concerned, the Author and Title are correct. However, Sony Reader Library still reads the Title as the Author and the Author as the Title.

I have edited the tags in Calibre, closed it down to make sure it is saved. Then I've reopened it in Calibre to check that the tags are still correct. Then I've closed it again, opened Reader Library, and then added the book, from the Calibre folder, to Reader Library - but it still doesn't read the tags correctly.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Where is Reader Library getting the incorrect tags from? (I've converted the book from epub to lrf, and RL sees the incorrect tags in both versions.)

Sony PRS-350
The problem is that the metadata inside the ePub is still incorrect. You have to extract the OPF file, fix the metadata and then put the OPF file back in the ePub. The way you are doing it in Calibre is just putting the metadata in a separate file. But your actual file is still wrong. Give Tweak ePub a go. It's part of Calibre. I've never used it so others may be able to help if you need help.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that the metadata inside the ePub is still incorrect. You have to extract the OPF file, fix the metadata and then put the OPF file back in the ePub. The way you are doing it in Calibre is just putting the metadata in a separate file. But your actual file is still wrong. Give Tweak ePub a go. It's part of Calibre. I've never used it so others may be able to help if you need help.
Or you can use the "Modify ePub" plugin to update the metadata inside the book. See link for a description.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154371
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Also just be aware that the POS does not close properly I have to use Task manager to get rid of it... Sony should be ashamed of releasing this garbage really
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, the previous poster's problem is that he's copying the book from the Calibre folder. That's something you must never do. Do a "Save to Disk" from Calibre, and it will be correctly exported with the changed metadata.

The Calibre library folder should be regarded as a "black box". Don't mess with it, or copy files out of it. To get files out of the Calibre library, export them using Calibre itself, using either "Send to Device" or "Save to Disk".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Also, the best thing to do is NOT use both Reader Library and Calibre.

I use Reader Library to buy books from the Sony Store ONLY.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote