Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #31
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumhalf View Post
I'm a newbie, a mechanical engineer, not a software engineer. Much of this thread is beyond me, but I do have three questions about using calibre with XP Pro. 1 - How do I delete files from the reader as pressing delete only deletes the file name.
If you double click, it allows you to edit a title. If you then hit delete, it removes the title. Instead of double click, single click. That selects the book. Then hit delete to remove the book. There are right click and menu options, too.

Quote:
2 - How do I import MP3 audio files.
You don't. Calibre handles e-books, not music. (You could force it to handle them, but it's not worth it.)
Quote:
3 - How do I arrange the files by file type and or file name.
Calibre is based upon books, not file types or file names. The books are in the library, and when they were put there, they received a filename selected by Calibre. You control the filename when exporting the book from the library, but not until then. If what you want is to see the formats you have available, you can select the tag browser, select the format list and click the desired format. Calibre will then show you only books that have the selected format.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #32
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You really, REALLY should have started a new thread for this. MR isn't one of the forums that frowns on people starting new threads for new topics; we like it here. People are going to think this is a months-old discussion of something the OP dislikes, and never know you've got some questions.

Anyway, Starson answered your questions fairly well, I think. You will also want to read my .sig (the first post in it) for the answer to your third question. Unlike some of the rather technical discussions that go on here, it is, or at least should be (I tried) written for everyone.

Oh, and hi. People tell me I'm not welcoming enough, so that's an official 'hi'.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #33
scrumhalf
scrumhalf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks for the welcome and your explanation of the calibre file structure. I honestly wanted to start a new theme but as my wife often says I don't look properly and I couldn't for the life of me find how to start a new theme. Not just a newbie, a silly one as well. Thanks also to Starson17 for his explanation of how to use delete to remove a book, and the information that calibre does not handle music. I will work at it and look forward to using calibre as it gets better and better.
scrumhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:31 AM   #34
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumhalf View Post
I couldn't for the life of me find how to start a new theme.
New thread at the top left of any forum window (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newthread.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	58031  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #35
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
If you double click, it allows you to edit a title. If you then hit delete, it removes the title. Instead of double click, single click. That selects the book. Then hit delete to remove the book. There are right click and menu options, too.
Actually, this seems to be a reproducible behaviour. Regardless of where I (single-)click to select a book (or whether I select it via keyboard), whenever I press the delete button, either the title or the field I clicked on to select gets deleted and goes into edit mode. It's never bothered me, but I've noticed it.

EDIT to add: XP SP3, Calibre 0.7.18

Last edited by Manichean; 09-11-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Substituted "behaviour" for "error", added OS info
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #36
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Actually, this seems to be a reproducible behaviour. Regardless of where I (single-)click to select a book (or whether I select it via keyboard), whenever I press the delete button, either the title or the field I clicked on to select gets deleted and goes into edit mode. It's never bothered me, but I've noticed it.

EDIT to add: XP SP3, Calibre 0.7.18
I use XP SP3, Calibre 0.7.18 and Regardless of where I (single-)click to select a book (or whether I select it via keyboard), whenever I press the delete button the "Are You Sure" window pops up verifying I want to delete the book. I can't get it to do anything but delete the book. I wonder what is different between our preferences?

Update: I can also recreate your experience by selecting any book and clicking any key that is not a shortcut. I think this is your reproducible delete field, But hitting the delete key always deletes the book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delete_book.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	58036  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-11-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #37
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I think the difference is from hitting the Backspace key instead of the Delete key.

Backspace deletes the text metadata in the (single-clicked) field, which makes sense to me as you generally use the Backspace key to work on a line of text.

Delete deletes the item itself, which makes sense to me as you generally use the Delete key to remove a whole item in a list.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #38
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Update: I can also recreate your experience by selecting any book and clicking any key that is not a shortcut. I think this is your reproducible delete field, But hitting the delete key always deletes the book.
I think the difference is from hitting the Backspace key instead of the Delete key.
My update above explains pressing any key that is not a shortcut will cause the field to be deleted. Escaping returns the field.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #39
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I use XP SP3, Calibre 0.7.18 and Regardless of where I (single-)click to select a book (or whether I select it via keyboard), whenever I press the delete button the "Are You Sure" window pops up verifying I want to delete the book. I can't get it to do anything but delete the book. I wonder what is different between our preferences?

I am sure I actually hit the delete key. I'm aware there's no way to prove this, but the delete key does what you say the backspace key should do. The backspace key, incidentially, does what the backspace key should do, as well.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #40
Manichean
Wizard

I just figured it out. I'm using the german translation of Calibre, the hotkey is given as "Löschen" (german for delete) in the menu. When I switched to using the english translation, the delete key works as advertised. When I switched back to the german translation, again, the delete key didn't work.

I believe that has some significance to our problem.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #41
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I just figured it out. I'm using the german translation of Calibre, the hotkey is given as "Löschen" (german for delete) in the menu. When I switched to using the english translation, the delete key works as advertised. When I switched back to the german translation, again, the delete key didn't work.

I believe that has some significance to our problem.
Mystery solved.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #42
Manichean
Wizard

Now that we've isolated the bug, is it possible to fix? And is debug data needed to do so?

EDIT: I just realized I probably should file a ticket for that.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can actualy fix this yourself by translating the delete key name correctly into german, here

https://translations.edge.launchpad....633/+translate
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #44
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can actualy fix this yourself by translating the delete key name correctly into german, here

https://translations.edge.launchpad....633/+translate
"Löschen" in itself isn't incorrect. I'm assuming that Calibre expects exactly what's written on the key, and have thus changed it to "Entf". If that doesn't work, someone needs to explain the system to me
Old 09-19-2010, 05:18 AM   #45
scrumhalf
scrumhalf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Great on computer, but....

I've just updated my Calibre software. The more I use it the better I like it - on the computer. Are there any 'hints and tips' as to how to get a better experience when using my ereader [Sony PRS600]? I'm thinking particularily of navigation through the newspapers I have been downloading each morning, in my case The Independant and The Daily Mail. Using the E-book viewer on the computer I can quickly go to 'Life and Style' and then the article 'Mumsnet challenges M&S', using my mouse. I don't expect to do it this slickly on the ereader, but any tips on the best approach would be very welcome.
I hope I've pushed the correct button for a new post! Thanks for any help in advance.
scrumhalf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, gui, interface