Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Dell Streak + Logitec Dinnovo MiniKeyboard (Detailed Review)

Quote:

One of the best things I've ever done with my Dell Streak so far is to introduce it to my Logitech diNovo Mini keyboard. The keyboard is designed for use with an HTPC/media center but since it's equipped with Bluetooth 2.0 and the Streak (unlike other Android devices) supports Bluetooth keyboards, I figured the two devices would get along.

His short Video demo

To see the full review ( link...)

Amazon promotional Video (link...). Shows of what else the Keyboard can do.
I"m thinking of getting this for my PS3

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I saw this somewhere else as well, and it's this sorta flexibility that has me leaning toward getting a Streak. They haven't started selling in the U.S., and I'm looking forward to test-driving one.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-25-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Word is that the Streak will be available on the Dell website and at AT&T next week. If you are interested in this device I recommend the streak subforum on xda-developers.com (good for any non-Symbian, non-Apple phones) and above Streaksmart site. The latter is a dedicated site.

Virtually all reviews have been good. Only complaints are the size (as if that isn't something you shouldn't make up your mind on before you get it, lol) and the fact that it still is Android 1.6. Dell has said it will upgrade to 2.2 soon.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Word is that the Streak will be available on the Dell website and at AT&T next week. If you are interested in this device I recommend the streak subforum on xda-developers.com (good for any non-Symbian, non-Apple phones) and above Streaksmart site. The latter is a dedicated site.

Virtually all reviews have been good. Only complaints are the size (as if that isn't something you shouldn't make up your mind on before you get it, lol) and the fact that it still is Android 1.6. Dell has said it will upgrade to 2.2 soon.
Thanks, I've been checking out Streaksmart and will check the other. I read about 1.6 vs. 2.2 and am not clear what the upgrade would offer that I might want. Maybe my needs are vanilla enough for 1.6 to satisfy. I read some UK user complaints of lost signals and one about programs locking up and cycling (not sure of the phrase). Worry that the Android world might be too sophisticated for my limited tech ability, that I might get stuck, when all I want is a device that will work. I really like the screen size and features, though. Argh.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:58 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Thanks, I've been checking out Streaksmart and will check the other. I read about 1.6 vs. 2.2 and am not clear what the upgrade would offer that I might want. Maybe my needs are vanilla enough for 1.6 to satisfy. I read some UK user complaints of lost signals and one about programs locking up and cycling (not sure of the phrase). Worry that the Android world might be too sophisticated for my limited tech ability, that I might get stuck, when all I want is a device that will work. I really like the screen size and features, though. Argh.
The main differences between 1.6 on the Streak (heavily improved by Dell already) and 2.2 are that 2.2 offers Flash and supposedly a speed increase. 1.6 will be fine for you.

If you don't tinker with the device and limit yourself to browsing, e-mail, SMS, IM, social networks, video, music, and reading I wouldn't worry too much about problems. It is those that push the device to the limit with hundreds of apps and interface tweaking that are occasionally having hiccups. As is to be expected.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:32 AM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
The main differences between 1.6 on the Streak (heavily improved by Dell already) and 2.2 are that 2.2 offers Flash and supposedly a speed increase. 1.6 will be fine for you.

If you don't tinker with the device and limit yourself to browsing, e-mail, SMS, IM, social networks, video, music, and reading I wouldn't worry too much about problems. It is those that push the device to the limit with hundreds of apps and interface tweaking that are occasionally having hiccups. As is to be expected.
Cool. I don't even know how to begin tinkering. I basically want e-books, e-mail and Internet, with phone and camera, in one package.

Are you gonna get one?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Don't be scared off. Android is really quite easy to use. My wife who is also a non techi learned how to use her phone quickly. With the exception of setting up her email, the first time, she refused to let me touch it because she wanted to learn it.
I was like wow, you added these widgets by yourself, added apps by yourself. And also re installed the Market. She absolutely loves her phone and continued to learn how to use it for productivity, such as calender, todo, etc.. and she still wont let me touch it

As for the differences of 1.6 2.2
There are quite a few enhancements mainly in UI. A lot in the Media, but I think Dell also added their own features.

The two features you'll notice is
* Word reflow HTML when you pinch zoom. No need to pan to read
* JIT engine will make apps run 10x faster.

There is more but as a user those are the bigger three.

Oh and don't worry about upgrading Android can receive the updates remotely you just have to accept it and it will be applied.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Thanks, X. That's all reassuring to hear. It sounds as if the Streak will work for me. I've signed up for pre-ordering or whatever Dell calls it, trying to get an unlocked one, so I can use it in the U.S. and abroad. (I don't yet know what kinda SIM card the Streak uses, though.)

Is there general guidance for how to spot "safer" apps in the Android marketplace? I've read that there are many crappy, scammy ones (not that there aren't plenty of those via iTunes as well). ... Hmmm, I wonder whether someone offers an app converter chart, like if you like X app on iDevices, you'll probably like Y app on Android. Might be handy for people who are switching from one OS to the other, or if a friend recommends a good app on an OS you don't use.

Oh, what's a widget vs. an app?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
App-selection is going to be trial-and-error, like on any other platform, to find the ones you like. A lot of the same apps available for iPhone/iPad are also available on Android. The Market also shows Comments from other people who have installed the app, so that's a good starting point for determining if you want to give something a try or not.

Note that when installing an app, you get a warning listing the types of data and every hardware and software capability that the app will have access to. If the single-player game you are installing is asking for access to your contacts list and the phone function, you may want to wonder why and cancel the installation.

A widget is something that sits on your screen and does something more than just act as a button to start the app. For example, the WeatherBug widget puts the current conditions at your location right on the screen. A calendar will put your upcoming events and reminders on the screen for you. They're kind of like Desktop Gadgets in Windows 7 and Vista. You can move widgets around and mix them in with app launcher shortcuts however you like.

Last edited by RoboRay; 07-25-2010 at 08:04 PM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Cool. I don't even know how to begin tinkering. I basically want e-books, e-mail and Internet, with phone and camera, in one package.

Are you gonna get one?
I plan on getting one. I was waiting for something like this for a long time -- for me the perfect phone has the largest possible screen but still fits into my pocket. This seems to be it. And 5" is the size of many dedicated readers, already. Though I will keep my phone with full Querty keyboard for work.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-25-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Priced WAY too high because of 3G which I don't give a rat's ass about...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Priced WAY too high because of 3G which I don't give a rat's ass about...
Of course, if you are just looking for a tablet... This is a phone, and as such actually quite cheap.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Thanks much, RoboRay. That's all very helpful to know.

HansTWN, glad you'll soon get your wish.

The reading capabilities and screen size are the big draws for me. I've always been way behind on cell phones otherwise. It took me years to get one, then I carried my first off for years, because I had it only in case of emergency. Then it took me years to get an iPhone. Of course, if the Streak had come along earlier....
Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks much, RoboRay. That's all very helpful to know.

HansTWN, glad you'll soon get your wish.

The reading capabilities and screen size are the big draws for me. I've always been way behind on cell phones otherwise. It took me years to get one, then I carried my first off for years, because I had it only in case of emergency. Then it took me years to get an iPhone. Of course, if the Streak had come along earlier....
Actually, HTC has had a phone with a 5" screen (the Advantage) for a long time. Not a big seller, but it has kept its value better than any other phone. 2-3 years after it first came out they still saw no need to reduce the original price. Unfortunately, it was very thick and heavy, technology was not yet ready to have a form factor such as the Streak.

If the Streak does remain the only major 5" phone on the market I suspect it, too will retain its value for a long time.

I wonder how much Apple is losing out by not going for 4" or 4.3"? There seems to be a clear trend towards bigger screens.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Of course, if you are just looking for a tablet... This is NOT a phone, and as such actually quite cheap.
It is NOT a phone, and it's been given 3G as a way to subsidize it's cost. The unwary will thin k it's a "good" thing, while the minority of us will see it as a way to be further exploited.

And I'm quite confused by your: "this is a tablet but NOT a phone" argument.

[EDIT]
After all why should I pay MORE for licensing 3G patents and having zero intention or interest at paying MUCH more for 3G when mostly, WiFi is avilable... marketroids?

It's marketroid tool. i.e. we make no money from WiFi hence we need to screw the living shit out of our customers for semi-grossly overpriced 3G service.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-26-2010 at 11:08 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote